nissan720

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are the same diameter. I once test fitted L20B rods with KA pins.

Check that the space for the rod to fit the piston is wide enough. There has to be enough room for the rod move side to side in the piston and center itself on the crankshaft journal. Someone did some kind of Z/KA interchange and had to grind away some of the piston pin hole on either side of the rod small end. 

I just checked and KA rod small ends are slightly wider than L and Z rod small ends. Maybe the KA pistons are narrower between the pin bores? I can't remember but keep in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2012 at 12:47 AM, medengines said:

Heres pics of a Z24 block with KA24E pistons with knotches cut and a stock uncut piston compared to it, give you an ida of what it looks like done up.

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/medengines/20120606_092519.jpg

Here is some KA24DE pistons in a Z24 block bored .040 over with "fresh hone just done up" slight dish 9cc's now think its about 12cc's w/the cuts in them, these are shelf Wiseco Forged pistons I cut these for extra valve clearance and to lower compresion alittle for turbo use..will be swapping out the z22 engine with this one later(couldn't find shelf Forged pistons for the Z22's). Rather stick w/Z22's on boost for the added bore spacing though!

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/medengines/20120529_133043.jpg

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/medengines/20120529_132933.jpg

I'm getting ready to do another block this week so i'll try to take pics of the cylinder head jig and cutters and show some of this here.

Any chance you still have an image of the jig you made to cut the release? Trying to work out the angle of the cut. 

• 7 months later...

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding a Z24 in a 1987 WD21 I'm freshening up. I'll be changing the piston rings and since I'm located in Europe, Z24 rings are hard to find, expensive and/or of questionable quality. I can order them from the US, but since KA24 (from Terrano 2 or R20) pistons and rings are readily available, I'm thinking about going this route.

I run this engine solely on LPG, the throttle body injection has been deleted.

Will there be any noticeable gains in Power/torque if I change the Pistons ONLY and not touch the cam/head/valves? The distributor is mechanical so I can play around with timing.

Any improvement in gas mileage?

Any other risks/ long term issues?

Once again, I'll only be putting the KA pistons on Z24 rods (with the cutouts made) and nothing else.