My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

sorry to take this thread off topic.

theyre too many 510 cross members laying around here, im afraid. there is a 710 ive been picking at though, any chance its similar to the 510 cross member?

edit: i guess i could just take some measurements and figure out on my one, lol

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to take this thread off topic.

It's Ratsun. It should probably be called "Off Topic". :rofl:

theyre too many 510 cross members laying around here, im afraid. there is a 710 ive been picking at though, any chance its similar to the 510 cross member?

edit: i guess i could just take some measurements and figure out on my one, lol

There's a very good chance, yes. :thumbup:

610 stuff is a lot bigger, 710 stuff isn't.

It's Ratsun. It should probably be called "Off Topic". :rofl:

There's a very good chance, yes. :thumbup:

610 stuff is a lot bigger, 710 stuff isn't.

Wait, I thought the 610 steering assembly was basically the same as the B210? So the cross member is way different (too big)?

Wait, I thought the 610 steering assembly was basically the same as the B210? So the cross member is way different (too big)?

Crossmember is very different. At least on my '74 610 (HL610) it was. Maybe the earlier PL610 stuff is more similar?

One neat thing about the HL610 crossmember is that the engine mount stand-ups are not spot-welded on like everything else. They bolt on. :thumbup:

I'm partially basing my assumption on the fact that a 610 is just a much bigger car than a B210. A 710 isn't.

• Like 1

Yes sir. The crossmember itself is identical, only the stand-ups for the engine mounts are different. From the looks of it, the control arms, sway bar, and TC rods are also identical to 510 parts.

Swapping an L-series into a US-market B210 would be super simple. :thumbup:

510 crossmember, long shaft tranny, and auto b210 drive shaft bolt in. Did it with a short block. L210b looks like it would work perfect, but mabe not with a down draft carb. Su's no problem. Hood clearence with a l18 might be better. Or maybe I had tall motor mounts, that's happened befor.

I had heard an auto trans crossmember would fit flipped around but it does not.

There is a guy on datsun1200com who gave his rundown and most of it checks out..

FWIW, the Ford V8 is a squeeze. Do-able, but a tight squeeze nonetheless. Since the Dodge and Chevrolet V8s are physically bigger, that may be an idea best left unexplored. But stranger things have happened. :thumbup:

The Poly motor is also known as "wide block 318" so probably not the best idea.

Flipped 510 crossmember in...

b210_v8_002.JPG

First engine test fit

b210_v8_004.JPG

b210_v8_005.JPG

Tim making engine brackets to adapt the '66 Mustang motor mounts to the 510 engine stands...

b210_v8_006~0.JPG

Brackets bolted in temporarily...

b210_v8_013.JPG

Engine sitting on the new brackets...

b210_v8_008.JPG

Lastly, a little suspension update. Swapped out the front 280ZX hubs for 300ZX hubs to increase the track a bit so we can fit the 16x7 front and 16x8 rear Rays Gram Lights on the car. No, we will not be running tires this tall on the finished product. But hopefully at least this wide (or wider).

b210_v8_001~0.JPG

Because of the obvious increase in power, part of the reason we swapped front hubs was so we could run these (13" rotor, aluminum caliper) Xterra brakes on the front. Will also be running the 12.75" Xterra rear rotors on the Ford 8" rear end with some aluminum Kia Spectra calipers. :thumbup:

new_wheels_017s.jpg

• Like 1

Addendum: I will stand by the "no modification to install". Put it in the car today and popped right in with zero fuss. But... :blush:

What we found out after the fact intrigued me. After we put it on the ground I noticed we had a bit more negative camber than before the crossmember swap. Apparently, the control arm pivots are not in the same location. The 510s LCA mounts are 1/2" further apart. So swapping in this crossmember moves the bottom of the wheels out 1/4" per side. Not enough to screw everything up, basically gained 1.5 degrees of negative camber per side.

Going to measure the 510 control arms to see if they are shorter. Hard to believe a 510 would have a wider track than a B210, but maybe...

Addendum #2:

Yes, the 510 crossmember has the LCA pickup points 1" further apart (making the track 1/2" wider per side). We measured the 510 LCAs compared to the B210 LCAs and they are indeed 1/2" shorter.

So, if you swap the 510 crossmember into your B210 for the better mounts and DON'T want the extra track width, then get the LCAs from the 510 also. :thumbup: