My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

Decided to finally start a half-assed build thread going since we've recently completed more work on the car, and there's more to do. :thumbup:

Just after we got it. Only mod at this point was throwing away the bumpers

normal_Barbera_001.JPG

Drove it that way for a few months and the clutch literally blew up... :blush:

normal_Barbera_003.JPG

What was left of the clutch hub

normal_Barbera_004.JPG

New clutch and lightened flywheel in

normal_Barbera_005.JPG

Put some mirrors on

IMG00970.jpg

Found a good deal on some 13x7 +0 Diamonds

IMG00974.jpg

Wheels on and lowered (280ZX front struts and 2" blocks out back)

normal_little_wiggly_012_final.jpg

Used the old front bumper filler to make a ghetto spoiler

normal_little_wiggly_005.JPG

Stripped out the entire interior except for the door panels and put in a gutted 1200 dash with Auto Meter gauges

crap_004.JPG

After this the engine popped, so we swapped in a hot rod A14 we had, dual Solex 40s, Nismo #2 race cam, all BProjects valvetrain, Nismo header, etc.

Pic after the engine went in, and here's Tim tuning the carbs

normal_crap_001~2.JPG

As you can see, we also swapped my 15x7 +0 Drag Dr20s on it. Driving it home after the engine swap...

column_1200_005s.jpg

Repainted the grill and polished all the stainless. Also removed the front plates and painted the area behind where the bumper used to be

crap_005s~0.jpg

Last but not least, Tim insisted on putting his trademark Badtz-Maru and Hello Kitty decals out back (all his cars have them), so I suggested a DATSUN stripe between the two of them. I think it came out quite nice... B)

crap_003s~0.jpg

More to come as it happens... :thumbup:

• Like 4
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Update...

Car drove decent, but seemed a bit down on power. Took off the dual 40 Solexes and replaced them with a single 45 Weber on a BRE intake I had stashed. Car ran AWESOME after that. Finally buttoned that up today and Tim drove it home again, but...

Drove around for about an hour having loads of fun, then just one block from his house it sort of "sneezed" and dropped a cylinder (or two). He was barely able to limp it home.

This has happened before with this monster cam. See, it likes to bend pushrods. A lot. And we're about fucking sick of it. :rolleyes:

So, next week we'll tow it back to the shop. Again. :sneaky:

And tomorrow, we're buying a 302 Ford V8 and a T5 trans. It's time to get serious. B)

Update...

Car drove decent, but seemed a bit down on power. Took off the dual 40 Solexes and replaced them with a single 45 Weber on a BRE intake I had stashed. Car ran AWESOME after that. Finally buttoned that up today and Tim drove it home again, but...

Drove around for about an hour having loads of fun, then just one block from his house it sort of "sneezed" and dropped a cylinder (or two). He was barely able to limp it home.

This has happened before with this monster cam. See, it likes to bend pushrods. A lot. And we're about fucking sick of it. :rolleyes:

So, next week we'll tow it back to the shop. Again. :sneaky:

And tomorrow, we're buying a 302 Ford V8 and a T5 trans. It's time to get serious. B)

I've got a Ford 8.8 rear with your name on it.... a set of 15x7 Mustang Turbine wheels too....

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this thread... Honestly car looked lame until those DR20s were thrown on. Too bad that A-series was giving you trouble, it sounds like a beast. I love BBrojects stuff.

Now the 289 will be a good addition. Looking forward to the engine build as you always put out good work John.

Too bad that A-series was giving you trouble, it sounds like a beast. I love BBrojects stuff.

Is is quite a beast. Cam is just too radical. Way too radical. Need to find a milder one.

When it comes out, we'll put in a milder cam (still hot, just not as hot) and it actually already has a new home. A 1964 Triumph Spitfire Tim just bought. :thumbup:

Looks a bit like this:

1964_Triumph_Spitfire_4_MkI_000.jpg

Decided since we want more rear rubber and will be using a beefier/wider rear axle, we're going to take the Drag DR20s off and put on my Gram Lights. These are 8" rears and a +30 offset, so we should have a little more rubber on the road. Will try to fit up 225s out back and 205s (7" wide) up front. :thumbup:

crap_0032.JPG

Working through different trans options, we were leaning towards an old school 3spd or 4spd since they are smaller than some of the more modern transmissions. But I found a really good deal on a T-5 from an '88 Mustang GT. A friend of mine was in the process of swapping his 5spd out of his Mustang for a built auto trans (he really likes drag racing :confused: )...

Got the trans, bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel from him today...

normal_b210_v8_001.JPG

And although it looks beefy, we decided to put it up next to an L-series trans (which we know will fit) to see how it compares...

b210_v8_003.JPG

Shockingly, except for the top of the case they are basically identical in every dimension. Looks like the shifter will even come right out of the stock hole in the floor. :thumbup:

b210_v8_006.JPG

Picked up a 510 crossmember to try out since the B210 mounts don't line up with anything.

Turns out the 510 mounts line up perfectly. :thumbup:

b210_v8_010.JPG

Already have plans afoot to make the necessary spacers so that the Mustang engine mounts will bolt right up to the 510 crossmember. B)

b210_v8_011.JPG

Hopefully next weekend the old engine will be out so we can use the block and bellhousing for a test fit. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Got the A14 out today. New record, 1 hour and 12 minutes from running car to engine and trans out and engine on the stand. :thumbup:

Video of removing the A14/4spd:

http://youtu.be/RBMr9CeQsLA

Next time I'll calibrate the time lapse program to shoot more photos. Ended up condensing 1 hour of work down to 20 seconds. Honestly thought it would take longer than that. :rofl:

• Like 1

Does the 510 crossmember bolt to the B210 with no modification?

Yes sir. The crossmember itself is identical, only the stand-ups for the engine mounts are different. From the looks of it, the control arms, sway bar, and TC rods are also identical to 510 parts.

Swapping an L-series into a US-market B210 would be super simple. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Picked up an 8" rear end from a 1964 Falcon today.

_T2eC16dHJGoE9nuQg13lBP7P%21EpN%2B%21~~60_12.JPG

Car only had 68,000 miles on it, owner took it out to put in a 9". Same wheel bolt pattern as the Datsun rear end, much beefier center section (slightly bigger than an H190), and only 3" wider overall. Got the drums and backing plates off it today, going to weld new spring pads on it next week to fit it in the B210, then looking at fitting some 12" disc brakes to it after that.

Thankfully being from a 6cyl Falcon, it has 3.10 gears instead of the dreadful 2.73 gears from the V8 cars.

Does the 510 crossmember bolt to the B210 with no modification?

Addendum: I will stand by the "no modification to install". Put it in the car today and popped right in with zero fuss. But... :blush:

What we found out after the fact intrigued me. After we put it on the ground I noticed we had a bit more negative camber than before the crossmember swap. Apparently, the control arm pivots are not in the same location. The 510s LCA mounts are 1/2" further apart. So swapping in this crossmember moves the bottom of the wheels out 1/4" per side. Not enough to screw everything up, basically gained 1.5 degrees of negative camber per side.

Going to measure the 510 control arms to see if they are shorter. Hard to believe a 510 would have a wider track than a B210, but maybe...

• Like 1

i was thinking about trying to install 210 crossmember to get cheap neg camber, als, if im not mistaken it would make a ka swap easier as well?

Nothing from a 210 suspension will work in a B210. Nothing. ^_^

You'll need a "reversed" '68-73 510 crossmember to accomplish your goals. :thumbup:

More negative camber, and yes the KA swap will be a LOT easier.