510 door chanel felt and sweeper gasket install

Does anyone have a link to an install guide/write up for this? Or if not, could you give me a short tutorial of the steps, in order for completing the install on my 71 wagon? I've searches with little results and as I'm confident I could probably complete the task on my own, a little help before I start would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the channel stuff is just held in by very old glue. Remove it, all the way into the door. It would be wise to remove the window. You can install the new stuff with or without glue, I didnt use glue and it holds fine.

Inner squeegee is glued in, you will need to take a pick or something and remove the old stuff, That took some time for me. Installing the new stuff, I suggest making sure you can get it to sit right, And when you can, then you can glue it in if you wish.

Outer Squeegees, these are a pain. Get the Door trim off. You will notice staples holding on the squeegee, undo the staples (they are probably very rusty). Now the squeegee can come off. The new squeegees should have come with clips to clip it onto the door trim.

Reassemble anything you took apart.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Well the channel stuff is just held in by very old glue. Remove it, all the way into the door. It would be wise to remove the window. You can install the new stuff with or without glue, I didnt use glue and it holds fine.

Inner squeegee is glued in, you will need to take a pick or something and remove the old stuff, That took some time for me. Installing the new stuff, I suggest making sure you can get it to sit right, And when you can, then you can glue it in if you wish.

Outer Squeegees, these are a pain. Get the Door trim off. You will notice staples holding on the squeegee, undo the staples (they are probably very rusty). Now the squeegee can come off. The new squeegees should have come with clips to clip it onto the door trim.

Reassemble anything you took apart.

I know this is an old thread, I'm in the middle of disassembly and so far it's all straight forward except this outer stainless/chrome door trim...

Do I need to take off those clips that are inside the door panel? I popped one off and it looks like it just holds on the rubber squeegee in place??? Any help would be great...

Thanks...

To get the outer stainless off. Simply pry straight up. I hate this, as it feels like you are scratching paint. Do it evenly, to avoid bending the stainless trim.

Once up, you will notice like 4-5 clips in the stainless, keep those attached.

More importantly you will see staples holding the rubber onto the metal. Remove the staples / remove the rubber.

Place new rubber in place, and use the clips that came with the rubber. You may need to trim the piece. Reinstall trim.

Love it when I just start to give some thing a little attention on my car I find the thread I need right at the top :)

Just needed to make sure the felts could go in without glue...they will, thanks guys!

where did you guys get your stuff?

I need all the channels and rubber for my door windows. inner and outer.

i also need rear window. 

edit: how is the dtls stuff? good quality?

edit again: lol. what is the felt exactly?

• 3 weeks later...