Help! Battery sparks like crazy

Hey guys I'm new to ratsun and datsun in general and I'm hoping you guys can help me.

So I recently just installed a new alternator for my 72 510 and after it's installed I tried connecting the battery but all I got was crazy sparks not just those pussy sparks, checked my grounds everything was tight and no wires was crossed, anyone knows the reason behind this?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the concern started after you changed the alternator it is possible you may have connected it incorectly. Possibly connecting the heavy gauge battery wire to metal alternator case or connecting the black regulator ground wire to the positive battery cable lug on the alternator back side. Below is a wiring diagram of the charging system.

Chargingwiring_diagram.jpg

• Like 1

Your friend is wrong.

My alternator battery wire I hooked up straight to the starter instead of a fusible link is that ok?

No, not OK. If you have a large short, it can burn up the wiring. Use the original style wiring for safety.

my car can't handle much amp from a new alt

Poppycock. When the engine isn't running, it doesn't matter how many amps the alternator *might* output. It would not cause sparks unless it is defective or miswired.

Oh, by the way you can put a 130A alternator in a 510 without changing the wiring harness. All you need to do is fit a larger ground and ALT wire from the the alternator to the battery, along with a suitable Fusible Link.

Of course a 510 does not use more than 35A even with all accessories on at the same time. But perhaps youve added stuff like a winch, 10000 watt sound system, and electric heated seats. Which would need more than 35A.

Mitsubishi is original Datsun equipment. So was Hitachi

Use the stock 510 ground wire. Has someone modified you wiring harness? The alternator technically does not need a ground wire, as it will ground through the case, bolt/brackets, engine and engine ground. But the voltage regulator may need the stock ground wire.

Then run two ground wires to some bare-metal spot on the engine, like a timing cover bolt. If that is the problem, everything will start working. Try it.

But it won't stop a sparking issue. I would disconnect ALL wires from the alternator, then see if the battery cable sparking is gone. Yes? No? What happens if you disconnect ALL wires from the alternator?

Make sure the battery cables are not reversed. Normally the red one goes to the POS terminal, but if the wiring is messed up, better to check it.

Cable that goes to starter connects to POS battery terminal

Cable that goes to engine block connects to NEG battery terminal

You might even find that your old alternator is fine. They don't go bad because the regulator is missing. But they don't work right if the wiring is messed up.

Ok so I just put an extra ground from the alt to the chassis but still fireworks

I don't know what to do anymore I'm going crazy trying to find what can be causing this, was going to post pics to let u guys have an idea of what im dealing with but I can't do it through my phone . I know wiring for a 510 isn't complicated but it's driving me nuts.

I disconnected all wire from alt and no more sparks
The next step is to figure out which of the four wires to the alternator is causing the sparks.

E wire

A wire

FN (T-connector) has two wires

With all wires disconnected, connect them one at time. Start with the E wire. If no sparks, touch the A wire to the A terminal. It should not spark. If it does, it indicates either 1) the wire has a problem, or 2) the alternator has a problem. Do the same with A wire disconnected, try the T-connector. Does that T-connector wires spark?

Once you narrow down which wire(s) spark, then you can trace the problem more specifically.

Alternator wiring is super simple -- just four wires! Take it one step at a time and resist the urge to take shortcuts in the process. Shortcuts sometimes work, but often take longer and get you sidetracked.

• Like 1