1973 Corona MarkII wagon MX29. The saga is now complete. (2015 update)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of using the Toyota RAV4 vinyls or something similar, maybe scaled down. I have been searching for an emblem that has electric in it, like "electroglide" or something with a lightning bolt maybe. I don't quite want to scream it. Anyone have ideas?

My goal is to get it on the road and then maybe start working on the bodywork. I may leave it in patina. Depending how it sits with the motor and batteries, I may look into bags down the road. Probably a safe bet that this will be the only electric MarkII wagon on the planet :)

• 1 month later...

It was such a beautiful fall day today so it was the perfect time to get the engine compartment cleaned up once and for all. I ground off a few unneeded clips and cleaned up some rust. I thought about painting it a cool contrasting color but decided to repaint it black so I can get on with the good stuff.

I'm finalizing my system research and have met some local EV enthusiasts that are helping me choose the right components. I do have one thing solidified: I'm going direct drive and eliminating the transmission all together. The electric motor will hook directly to the driveshaft and the car will be electronically reversed. The only disadvantage to this is that the gearing can't be changed for highway speeds which eats up your battery life. Since I'm shooting for a 40 mile range, I won't be doing much freeway driving anyway.

I still have the goal of getting it on the road by spring. We'll see how it goes this winter.

image_zps6f9fc9a4.jpeg

imagecopy_zps5b776550.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...

Okay it’s been way too long, like over 2 years since I’ve updated this thread. I’ve been wanting to tell the rest of the story of the MarkII and where it is now for sometime. Here’s a quick overview of how the car turned out.

When I left off with this thread, the car’s engine had been removed and I was planning to make it an EV. Big plans. But then reality sets in and I realize just how much its going to cost to do this car up with a proper system. It sat over the winter and by spring of 2014, I listed it for sale on our local Utah Japanese Classic Cars Facebook page. I wanted it to stay local. Car guy and friend Josh Martin (now working side by side with Eric at JDM Legends) bought the car from me with plans to get it up and running for the 10th anniversary of JCCS in 2014. He almost made it.

Josh dove right in, found several of the problems that led to my failed road trip in 2012. Good thing there was an extra engine with the car as he was able to refinish the head from the extra engine since the head that was in the car was SHOT! Within a month he had the engine back together and ready to drop back in the car. He picked up a set of SSR MK1s for the car. I really like the look. Like I said, he was about 90% ready for JCCS that year with just some tuning left to do. Not bad for him picking the car up from me in May of 2014.

Josh got the car completely roadworthy early 2015 and drove it all season long, making improvements like a 280Z alternator to help with charging duties. Now for the story in pictures:

Corona2_zpsg5p2fvut.jpg

Corona3_zpsyk9hbagw.jpg

Corona4_zpsn28zomoy.jpg

Cornahead2_zpsxvssyaje.jpg

Coronahead1_zpsm0q0alqh.jpg

Coronatiming_zpsh7ekl1de.jpg

engine1_zps4rpoqnp5.jpg

head_zpssd4z9qyq.jpg

valvecover_zpsxbjsfuqy.jpg

beforeafter_zpsg88j9ect.jpg

frontpaint_zpsyuhpj7v6.jpg

wheels2_zpsiviwtro4.jpg

wheels_zpsmvrvm3lp.jpg

engine1%20copy_zps154vfadq.jpg

roadshot_zpsl1mxycta.jpg

togetheragain_zpszulefxcl.jpg

coronajdml2_zpswg3xojsk.jpg

coronajdml_zpshgi1o5ed.jpg

coronavista_zpsxiq4wddi.jpg

coronasquad_zpskwhmnzxu.jpg

coroanacomplete_zpsxut6x9kl.jpg

complete2_zpsnwwwsie7.jpg

completeslc_zpsa0gujnq2.jpg

Josh did an amazing job on the Corona. He found himself needing a less rare car for daily commuting. The MarkII has moved on from Utah and is now owned by a member of Sunset Idaho. The new owner plans to reupholster the front seats and just enjoy the car. Airbags may be in its future someday but from what I hear, the patina is staying put. I will update down the road if there are any changed to report. I’m just glad the car is back on the road and making people happy.

The Corona MarkII was a great car. I really enjoyed it for the short time that I had it. It was neat owning a rear piece of Japanese history. I still have my 510 wagon (always will) and I’ve added a new project to my stable, a '75 620