One Wire Alternator for my 77 620

So I am thinking of switching over to a GM style one-wire in my 77 620 . I have replaced the Alternator twice with rebuilt ones from Napa and it still isn't charging . I have read through all these posts and still can't find a good answer for which alternator is best to use . So sorry for starting a new thread with some of the same questions . I could have sworn I had seen a tech article somewhere on swapping in a 100amp GM alternator in an old Datsun .

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=74

Why not use a Nissan one-wire alternator? At least from 1980 they have been available.

What were they on? I've just never seen one. All 720s have the T connector and two other wires, '80-'81 200sx have the same. The '84 Maxima I looked at was the same as the 720.

• Like 1

Screw it I found the alternator i'm going to use my original alt in the truck when I bought it was a 14231 internally regulated unfortunately my dumb *ss replaced it with a 14105 externally regulated unit . DOH . So I am gonna replace that with a 14301 for a 78-81 510 its a 60 amp internally regulated but looks to have the same mounts and plug setup . Allready pickup up a water inlet from a 280ZX and put it in . Will post how it works out later on this week .

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably close to the grease fitting on the idler arm too. I used the three bolt block mount from a 720 as well. It lifts the alt. slightly up and away from the idler and hose. The 60 amp is slightly larger in size.

• Like 1
Guest DatsuNoob

I'd been looking into buying a gm one wire 100 amp for my truck too. I was thinking about how easy it would be to run it on the opposite side, under the distributor. To me it would simplify everything and the need for a different water neck, steering issues, hoses, etc. It's just too crowded over there. I was under the impression that you just remove the external voltage reg, and run your wire off the alt to the battery, isn't it that simple?

you did what I had done on my 620. Bought the late 70's 200SX (510) 50amp alt which was bumped up to 60amps. Use the 200SX belt like you did. Plugs right in.

The 280ZX alt is huge and still only 60amps.

If you need more amps you can look up info on a Saturn alternator install.

I took a couple long zip ties and went around the frame and the lower rad hose. I sinched it just enough to gently pull the hose a little further back.

• Like 1
I took a couple long zip ties and went around the frame and the lower rad hose. I sinched it just enough to gently pull the hose a little further back.

Did the same thing didn't really feel like draining all the coolant to trim the hose to make it fit better .

Oh yeah my alt is about a 1/2 inch from the idler arm and the grease fitting has all ready been taken out and plugged . And I filed the top alternator adjustment mount to get the belt a bit tighter .

60 amp should be more than enough for this little 620 for now . :D

• Like 1

Joey im having the same alt. issues on my 74 620. Installed a new [reman] alt & it keeps killing my batteries. Sounds like i need to go the way you did. What parts store did you buy the 60 amp alt. at & what brand was it? Thanks & do you have any pics of the install?

• Like 1

Check your voltage regulator if it is bad though it would probably be cheaper to switch to an internally regulated unit and jumper the wires of the voltage regulator like a bunch of guys on here posted in other threads .

Mines a Napa brand reman under the NAE line code part #14301 . Had to be ordered but only took one day. Didn't take any pics sorry . I could snap a couple of the new alternator in there though.

Stay away from Beck Arnley in my experience working for napa the NAE line of Starters and Alternators is really good quality .

• Like 1
  • 7 years later...

help please, I have a 1978 datsun 620 house car RV camper, it was not charging, the parts store tested it and said that the voltage regulator was bad, I thought it had an external voltage regulator, but a good search under the dash passengers side, turned up nothing, so I replaced it, listened to "ratsun" and got a 45 amp datsun 200sx alternator 1978, which went in with only a little grief getting it on the lower radiator hose, and a two inch? larger fan belt, but seemed to work, now I have the same problem, not charging, "bad voltage regulator" help please...

• Like 1

You should start a build or project thread so all replies are directed to you and not someone else's thread.

The '78 and up Datsuns were all internally regulated alternators. There is no external regulator. Hopefully the parts store gave you a '78 alternator. Also I hope you didn't throw the old one out as it may still be good. Save it.

A non charging alternator can be lots of things.  Is the red charge light in the dash on???? If no charge light, do your turn signals work??? If not replace the 10 amp fuse left side of fuse box farthest from the driver. Get them working and the charge should begin working.

First clean and tighten the battery cables and terminals. If still not charging is the battery good? will it take a charge from a battery charger?

There should be a good solid ground wire to the vehicle body sheet metal. A black wire from the negative cable bolted to inner fender somewhere near the battery tray. If missing run a 12 gauge wire from the block to the firewall.

There should be a large Black wire bolted to the alternator case to ground it.

Check that the plastic plug for the back of the alternator has teo wires to it and it fits snugly into the alternator.

There should be a large White/Red stripe wire to the insulated alternator output post.

• Like 1