buying a 720?

doc_rot

New member here. I'm thinking about buying a 720. I found what I think is a great deal, $1300 for a 1980 5-speed king cab. I was curious if there are any common problems associated with these trucks that i should pay particular attention to when im checking it out. Owner claims it is in excellent running condition, waiting to have him send me some pics.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New member here. I'm thinking about buying a 720. I found what I think is a great deal, $1300 for a 1980 5-speed king cab. I was curious if there are any common problems associated with these trucks that i should pay particular attention to when im checking it out. Owner claims it is in excellent running condition, waiting to have him send me some pics.

Datsun rot. Rust. The cab is where I'd start. Fenders, hood and box are easy enough to replace if they're rusty, but fixing a cab is a PITA. Check out the rockers, floors, behind the seats, under the carpet, cab mounts, ect. Also, don't forget, if you look under the dash, way up, there is a spot where they rust. It would be directly behind the Datsun or Nissan logo on the fender. Try and find that spot under that dash and see if that's rusty.

Also worth checking, ball joints, tie rod ends, carrier bearing, and see if it whines in 5th gear.

Battery tray, core support as mentioned, cab mounts. Check the bed for rust at the seams on the side. Don't matter much if it is rusty, just replace with an 85/86 king cab bed. They were designed much better and not prone to that rust.

1980 King cab is the best, L series motor. Not as much torque or power like a Z24 but not prone to head gasket failure as much. Id love to find an 80 KC

The '85 didn't have the bed seam down the length of the box.

Definitely look at the 4 cab mounts to the frame. You'll have to lift the carpet up... or I hope you do. These are the most rust prone areas on the cab.

Check tires. If there are three different makes and two different sizes... run away.

Look at the interior (under dash) and engine compartment for extra home made wiring. If it has stuff disconnected or re-wired run away from it.

A truck that has all 4 headlights, side marker or clearance, parking/tail and brake lights working would be a miracle but a good sign that the owner cares enough to fix these things. The heater fan, wipers any anything else should work properly. If it has a wired in push button horn on the side of the steering column.... run away.

Engine should start easily and when warmed up with high beams on should re-start fter a 4 or 5 minute wait with no problems. It should idle for 10 min without problems.

If engine is hard starting or overheats... run away.

Take for a drive.....

Everything should work smoothly and quietly.... acceleration, all gears, braking, steering. If you can't see out the rear view mirror because it's vibrating.... stop truck first, get out and run away.

Definitely look at the 4 cab mounts to the frame. You'll have to lift the carpet up... or I hope you do. These are the most rust prone areas on the cab.

Check tires. If there are three different makes and two different sizes... run away.

A truck that has all 4 headlights, side marker or clearance, parking/tail and brake lights working would be a miracle but a good sign that the owner cares enough to fix these things. The heater fan,

Everything should work smoothly and quietly.... acceleration, all gears, braking, steering. If you can't see out the rear view mirror because it's vibrating.... stop truck first, get out and run away.

whoa... Sounds alot like my truck!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...