Best transmission

nico510

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not asking right. This question has too many answers, one of them being personal preference. There are lots of transmissions that will fit the L16. I hate to assume but you probably want a standard and not an automatic??? You probably want a 4 speed?? maybe a 5 speed? Are you willing to have the driveshaft shortened and balanced?? Do you have access to metal cutting and welding?? Do you plan to increase the performance of the engine you have, perhaps swap it for an L20B later as the transmission must be able to handle the 'new' motor as well.

A KA24 transmission will not bolt to an L16 and work properly as it is. It needs to be partially dismantled and a different front case put on that will work. It is do-able though. It's a bit of an overkill as it would take over 5 L16 motors to come close to stressing the FS5W71C.

Your right. I do want a standard. 4 or 5 doesn't matter, I am willing to alter the drive shaft and housing. I do plan on increasing the performance however I don't plan on changing the L16. I'd like to leave it close to original as possible. Any suggestions?

Ix-nay on the KA fray.

I'm guessing you have an automatic and want a standard. ggzilla is very correct. 510 owners swap in 5 speeds and throw 4 speeds away so you should be able to get one for $30 down to free.

What 6 speed are we talking about here?

All " L" engines have a tilt to the right side. "L" engine transmissions accommodate this tilt.

A transmission out of any L engine will bolt to your engine. You may need different bolts for the starter, some transmissions have through bolts, and nuts for the starter, other transmissions have the transmission starter holes threaded, and no nuts are needed.

I for example, have a long shaft Z transmission in a 521, with a L-18.

I am talking about the Nissan 6-speed from the SR20 engine. Yes, you would modify it to fit an L-series engine. But people use the 6-speed behind all sorts of Datsun engines, it can be done.

He didn't ask what was easiest, just what is "best". Best mean different things to different people. I consider the 6-speed the best for the reasons listed above, but that's just me.

In my shallow opinion, the best trans for the $$ for a L16 510 is a '76-'79 280z five speed, the L16 does not make enough torque to take advantage of the 280ZX five speed.

Have the driveshaft shortened, and enjoy a better shifter and quieter highway cruising. It bolts right up but you might need to enlarge the hole in your transmission tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

I am talking about the Nissan 6-speed from the SR20 engine. Yes, you would modify it to fit an L-series engine. But people use the 6-speed behind all sorts of Datsun engines, it can be done.

He didn't ask what was easiest, just what is "best". Best mean different things to different people. I consider the 6-speed the best for the reasons listed above, but that's just me.

Has anyone ever done this? I'd love to see how it was done. SR20 6 speed bolted to an L series?

to take advantage of the 280ZX five speed
What advantages does the 280ZX five speed have?

Has anyone ever done this? I'd love to see how it was done. SR20 6 speed bolted to an L series?
The Nissan 6-speed for the Nissan Silvia S15 was made by Aisin. It has a front case housing with bolt-pattern for SR engine. You can get front cases for various Toyota and Mazda engines. You can fabricate an adapter plate for other engines. Or you can "cut & shut" (weld a bell from another transmission).

It's not a common transmission in Nissan form, but even so they're are few around from Import engines. Plus it came in US model vehicles for non-Nissan engines.

It's the best for a 510. Some don't like them with the SR20DET as the 5-speed is supposed to be stronger. But for a 1.6 liter engine it is overly strong. It reduces the raging engine noise on the freeway, while still letting you run 4.44 gears. So you can have accelaration and fuel economy both. Pay now, save later.

The advantage of the '81-'83 280ZX five speed over the 280Z five speed is the larger overdrive, 0.74 vs 0.86 (the '80 280ZX has a 0.77 OD). It really is a big difference in use. A little 1600 would have to downshift on just about any hill. It was designed for a car making a lot more torque. That's why I suggested a 280Z 5 speed if he was wanting something cheap and easy.

• Like 1

If we are dreaming id put the nismo 6 speed in. Its stronger than the s15 one and has better gearing. But 280z is the most practical. Bolts right in and u just need to shorten the drive shaft. It can be found for around 150

• 4 years later...

What 6 speed are we talking about here?

All " L" engines have a tilt to the right side. "L" engine transmissions accommodate this tilt.

A transmission out of any L engine will bolt to your engine. You may need different bolts for the starter, some transmissions have through bolts, and nuts for the starter, other transmissions have the transmission starter holes threaded, and no nuts are needed.

I for example, have a long shaft Z transmission in a 521, with a L-18.

Did you make any changes?
Because I want to install to my 510 the transmission of a 280z of four speeds, but I see that it is longer than the one that brought.
The engine is an L20

ALL L series transmissions will interchange with ALL L series engines... although not all are sensible swaps.

The 280z 4 speed will easily bolt up to your L20B. If you have the original 510 4 speed the 280z 4 speed will be 5.5" longer so the drive shaft will need to be shortened by the same amount. The cross member that holds the original 4 speed will not work with the new one and will need modifications or replacing. You can still buy them for this exact swap. 

NOTE!!!!!!! KEEP YOUR CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING COLLAR THAT YOU HAVE NOW AND PLACE IT ON THE NEW TRANSMISSION'S CLUTCH ARM. REPLACE THE BEARING WITH A NEW ONE BUT KEEP THE COLLAR THAT HOLDS IT. THIS THING...

................................bearing................................................................................................... collar...............

IMG_7266.jpg

Once this conversion is complete any FS5W71B 5 speed will also drop right in.

• 1 year later...

hello , i have a 1970 datsun roadster with the 1600 engine and the 4 speed trans , now the stick shifter seems like it wiggles a lot between gears , how can i fix this and also wich 5 speed transmission will work the best as cheap and easy to install ,  maybe something bolt on ? thanks just got the little roadster and want to start working asap on it !