My muffler exploded

I walked outside this morning to head to work, fired up the LUV and BOOM! It sounded like someone fired a cannon off in my driveway. I popped the hood expecting to see a catastrophic mess, but everything looked fine. I got back in the trunk to see if it would start, it fired up fine, but was noticeably louder. Crawled under the truck to find this:

54884_10100695490418717_29621693_50938358_1044683000_o.jpg

I drove it to work, and, despite being mind numbingly loud, seems to drive fine other than a noticeable drop in torque since I have no back pressure. The exhaust is about 3 months old, from the header back. The truck had been parked for roughly 12 hours overnight before I started it, and it popped on the first crank. Also, it rendered my fuel gauge inoperable for what ever reason....I'm guessing the concussion from the explosion knocked something loose.

From what I understand this is usually caused by a clogged muffler (not likely since it's so new) or a pooling of gasoline due to running rich (my truck is a bit rich, but it had been sitting for 10-12 hours before I tried to start it).

Thanks for your help guys!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running rich won't do this. Running rich (choke on) AND having poor ignition can.

I did this in a '62 Chev. The muffler runs diagonal under the driver's seat. Split the muffler front to back, bent the floor up and my ears rang till the next day because I had the window down. It had points and bad wires.

Maybe. I was thinking a loose wire on the coil or bad points maybe even a bad ignition switch. Something where the spark might be interrupted and then turn back on again. Possibly the spark jumped to another wire and fired a cylinder out of turn.

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I'm going to rip into it in the morning, replace the plugs and see if I can't nail this down.

Edit: I should mention, for anyone who feels like chiming in, I have no more points (Pertronix ignitor) and the spark plug wires are also new, and the timing is set to stock settings...although the word in the LUV community is these engines tend to run a little better slightly advanced.

This happened to me once on my 69 Ford P/U, turned out the accelerator pump was going bad, allowing the float bowl to drain into the manifold when the truck was parked. So, it would always take a few extra cranks to start (fuel pump filling float bowl back up), then one day BOOM! Muffler blew up.

This happened to me once on my 69 Ford P/U, turned out the accelerator pump was going bad, allowing the float bowl to drain into the manifold when the truck was parked. So, it would always take a few extra cranks to start (fuel pump filling float bowl back up), then one day BOOM! Muffler blew up.

I forgot to mention, brand new Weber 32/36...so I HOPE the carb hasn't failed yet! Good thing to keep in mind though, thanks. :)

Did it run for a few seconds before the explosion, or did it explode right away?

Immediately. First crank.

thats what happens when your muffler bearing goes out

:D

But...but...I just lubed them last week...there's no way that could be the problem.

That's the kind of sound that makes you change your shorts. Doesn't take a lot to have this happen. If you have a bad ignition that drops spark through the ground, then magic can happen anywhere. Saw this happen on a brand new Chevy a few months back. Leaky injectors + noise grounds because something didn't get bolted down right and the parts were cheap.

I think the problem would be solved with a Datsun pickup. :) I did that once in pull and save working on getting this Toyota running. A bunch of people prior to me had been cranking on it. I had been cranking on it. Figured out the ignition control module was bad, got another off a car in the yard, and lit her up. Not only did it blow the muffler out, but it made a noise like a small bomb going off due to all the extra fuel vapor in the pipe.

I even had employees come running out, I think they thought someone had lit off a fuel tank or something. ;)

One time I had an emissions guy(idiot if you ask me) try to hold a exhaust probe onto my tail pipe when it kept popping off while it was running, everyone heard that blow off the tail pipe(while the idiot was holding it) and came running, it sounded like a gun shot, when the head honcho got there, and found out it was a diesel, they sent me on my way with a "passed" ticket.

I am lucky it didn't ruin my exhaust system, and even luckier that the idiot didn't hurt himself, and then sue me for him being an idiot.

I was wondering if some of the kids in your area might have gotten the idea that shoving a potato up your tail pipe thinking it might be funny, as it makes a lot of noise coming out, and possibly could blow the muffler, as they are making cheap stuff these days.

I have never had one open up before, but I have had rounder ones after it lit up after cranking for a while.

• Like 1

We used to fuck around with an old Ford moving truck that ran on gas. We would accelerate, turn off ignition, pump gas, turn key back on and KA-BOOM! We finally stopped after they changed out the second set of mufflers and started to catch on to us! Scared the shit out of a Mounted Cop on a horse!! He was not too happy with us and neither was the horse!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We used to fuck around with an old Ford moving truck that ran on gas. We would accelerate, turn off ignition, pump gas, turn key back on and KA-BOOM! We finally stopped after they changed out the second set of mufflers and started to catch on to us! Scared the shit out of a Mounted Cop on a horse!! He was not too happy with us and neither was the horse!!

haha i know all about that little trick. seems ford's like to do it more than anything else. my car wont ever do it. my friend's 72 duster used to do it regularly until one day it decided not to anymore. it sure cleared a big cloud of soot out of that exhaust the first time we did it on that one, though. the best one i have seen/heard is my friends 84 f150 w/ 4.9 I-6. it'll do it every single time and he has just a 24" glasspack with no tail pipe. it sounds like a single ar-15 shot goin off under his truck. he used to go around the school parking lot during automotive class scaring innocent pedestrians half to death.

Im not falling for no Bannana in the tail pipe....

My truck did the same thing before I got rid of the points.....no as big a rip but blew out one end of the can....and yes it was so loud my neighbors came running but couldn't figure out why I was laughing hysterically...... Cause it scared the shit out of me

By the way anyone with launch control on a still street legal car is in the superghey never gonna be cool club..... That's like me putting a launch delay box or a trans brake in my Datsun for street use...... It just screams .....hey ricer your trying to hard .....by the way a launch control is supposed to do all those things u mentioned...... Because at a track those things would be acceptable..... If I see u at a light and u use launch control just know at the next red light imgetting out and slapping u...

Launch control....... ( shake head ). That's like putting a parachute on my 521 and usin it to slow down at every light..... Your a tool, launch control is fer racn

• Like 1