• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Been a long time since ive updated this, but heres what ive been working on. Also my brother sold his 620 :( He kept his 75 Z though :) 

Got me a cool set of real 3 piece wheels from Japan. I need to refinish them and what not but they seem to fit nice. 15x7.5 -13 offset.

md61Ooi.jpg

Ive been researching hard and using knowledge I have from turboing hondas and Ive decided to do a blow through setup with my R1 carbs. Already got the fuel and fully adjustable timing taken care of, next is building a turbo downpipe and oil drain.

021Berc.jpg

JqjGQPO.jpg

4IuPnNy.jpg

This is the intake Manifold I made myself. I pressure tested it to 30lbs so it should be good lol.

DUh02yq.jpg

And Turbo and manifold mocked up while I wait on downpipe materials.

04T2msL.jpg

For anyone wondering how to lock out a distributor for electronic timing control modules, you basically just weld in or fill in the slots in this pic so the timing wont move.

E7LwulJ.jpg

The plan is to have this thing started and running this weekend. The tuner that has tuned my turbo acura in the past has agreed to let me use his dyno to dial it in. The turbo is a Garrett GT2554r so im not looking for tons of power, just a little more than it makes now.

Thanks

MantisX

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Loving the work you've done on the long bed MantisX620!  I've got a '77 long bed that I'm currently working on as well.  Trying to get the whole front suspension and steering taken care of (she had a bad shake at speed that seemed to originate from the idler arm, so that started the whole front end rebuild).  Having the truck up on my buddy's lift also gave us the opportunity to start doing the engine swap from the old L20b and putting in the KA24DE that I've had for a while now.  At some point I'm thinking it might be great to turbo it, but we'll see how going from ~100hp up to ~150hp just by changing engines will bring her to life.

Seeing your oics and how you went from old faded paint to a nice glossy finish has got me reconsidering mine, but unfortunately I don't have a brother that does paint and bodywork like you do.  I've got a buddy that has done it in the past, but our schedules are completely opposite, so it's gonna be hard to try and meet up with him to see if we can at least smooth the ripples and dings out of it.  I've currently got mine rattle canned in a flat olive green camo color, but it's got some mild tiger striping, but not too bad for being the first vehicle I'd ever rattle canned!

I wanted to ask you if you could clarify how you re-indexed the torsion bars?  Now's the perfect time to finish mine off, as I've had 3" lowering blocks for the rear for quite some time and have just installed those.  Now that the front end is all apart, this would be the key time to get it just right up front.  I have a feeling that I'm going to have to button it all up, set it down on the shop floor and see how low it is, then rinse and repeat until I get the right height (about the same gap from the wheel to the wheel opening in the fender front and back).  Any tips?

• Like 2

Thanks Spawn. For the reindex, I used this FAQ. I think its actually pinned in the suspension section:  http://www.bleachgarage.com/620tech_spn.html

Yeah, you will have to mess with the adjuster bolts a few times until you get it sitting how you like. What I did is adjusted them until I got the height I wanted and then I turned them a little bit further to account for the suspension settling.

MantisX

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WM4TyF9.jpg

My exhaust is waayyy too low so the next step is to get some airbag brackets going on the front so I can get rid of the torsion bars. I should be able to run the exhaust through the frame after that.

I really need to remind my camera guy to flip the phone lol.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Truck is still running great. Im starting to look into what cam might help stretch the power band out a little further. I have my 2 step setup but I kind of dont need it haha. My turbo is small, but I feel like im leaving some power on the table with the stock cam. Im also about to start tearing down and rebuilding/forging my spare L20b. I hope to share pics and updates of that process.

MantisX

• Like 2

Nice trucks and looks like it pulls hard.

Yeah it does about as much as I want to do in a 620 haha. I can do very quick bursts to 85 and higher if I hold it there in 4th. I have yet to do a pull in 5th. My goal was never hot, nasty bad ass speed, just an easier onramp and merging experience haha. However, I think with some suspension upgrades and maybe a cage? that could change.

MantisX

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

So the unpredictable nature of a blowthrough carb setup was very fun. But I wanted a little more stability in my mini truckin life. I went ahead and put a SR20det in. Its dead reliable and it starting on the first try is the highlight for me lol. With that said, im pretty sure the turbo carb setup I cobbled together was faster haha. Im already dreaming of ways to get more out of this thing.

brgOvgn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pXoNz6k.mp4

• Like 3