Choppers 510

ok figure it is time to start a slow moving project thread.

a snails pace is too quick

one of the first things I need to tackle front drivers side floor board

PICT0106.jpg

also work on the engine L20b british su carbs and 210 head (will be looking for z carbs and different head soon enough) I wonder if it is the head is what caused the stalling problems for the previous owner.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z SU's are too big (46mm). She'll breath like no other on the high side, but you'll lose a lot of power at lower RPM's due to a dramatic loss of velocity.

You could buy roadster SU's or SSS SU's which are 38mm and work great. There are flat-top 38mm's and round-top. Round tops are preferable, but the flat top 38mm's pretty much identical but have some small smog components, which are easily blocked off with aluminum sheet & some custom gasket material. I ran flat-top JDM SU's off (I THINK) a 610 (180B?). They were amazing on my L20B, very good throttle response and she breathed all the way to 6K without a problem.

If you want to have 100% problem-free SU's, send a set off to ZTherapy or just pay the core charge and purchase a set from them. I've never heard of a single upset customer, and you won't find anybody that knows SU's any better. They do full-rebuilds and media polishing, new plated linkage, smog removal, but most importantly they replace the bushings for the throttle rods with sealed bearings, eliminating the usual vacuum leak that appears with age. It's the only way to fix that issue as far as I know, they even use undersized bearings and oversized rods. Of course, this costs money - but you get what you pay for.

In regards to Mike's post, the 210 head is a small-port head. Very small. IIRC, they were only used on 210 casting mark heads. They came in open, semi-closed, and fully closed designs - but all of them had the small ports. The A87 is probably the most common head you'll find, as a 219 (SSS) head is rare, and an unmolested head will cost you a pretty penny. The A87 is close, but if you find a peanut A87 you can work the ports over slightly (pocket port, port-match) and it'll probably be the best set up for you. A87's are have square-port exhaust, so you don't have to run a round-port manifold.

I have the closed A87 head on my L20B (old engine), shaved .015" with +.030" 11cc dished pistons, and was running 180psi when the engine was fresh. Not sure on the compression ratio, but my L20B was impressive. I enjoyed that engine a lot, and will likely miss it eventually. If you went with the same or similar set up, I think you'd be pleased with it's performance. The downside, is that I had to run premium pump gas or it would ping during the summer. Was still worth it.

considering this engine was "rebuilt" 2,000 - 3,000 miles ago according to previous owner. The British SU carbs that are on it are HS6 SU carbs which I think are the british equivalent to z carbs.

I am considering a Napz swap or swapping the carbs for L18e fuel injection

I missed that it was an L20B but the Z carbs are still too big, but better than for an L16. A 210 head on an L20B would be through the roof compression 9.23 and poor breathing. Any open chamber L20B head will be fine.

Well, the 38mm SU's I have are HS4's. I do believe you're correct about them being the larger variety.

I would shy away from a Naps-Z swap, at that point - you'd be better off running a KA24E. More power, more reliable, and easier to find parts for.

The fuel injection would be sweet, but now you're looking at a *lot* of money. Intake ports have to be notched for fuel injectors, everything would be older equipment and extremely hard to find. The cool-factor would be there, however.

If you have the means to do so, either recover the current engine with upgraded (wait, would that be downgrading from HS6 to HS4's?) or go with a single cam KA.

If you haven't experienced a nice prepped L20B... I'm serious you won't be disappointed! The KA would be better, of course.

I would still love an LZ23 prepped from Rebello for street, though....

I do sorta have a replacement panel for that rear end... How much tin is left on the passenger side near the quarter... My panel was cout short on one side. I also have a very good fiberglass one you can have for 175 that would fix all your problems with a few rivets.

I do sorta have a replacement panel for that rear end... How much tin is left on the passenger side near the quarter... My panel was cout short on one side. I also have a very good fiberglass one you can have for 175 that would fix all your problems with a few rivets.

oh about that much

PICT0113-1.jpg

from license plate light mount bolt hole there is 16 3/4" to the cut line

http://classicdatsun.com/new/Craig510e.jpg

nope but it's the same as this one. thick black fiberglass that has enough glass width to lap the seamer on either side of the quarters... I installedthe Matching valence on my Snowballs chance car, but that car is a 68 so i didn't use the taillight panel...

like this one the 510keeper had for sale, just in fglass

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27089-all-datsun-swap-meet-and-car-show-eagle-rock-socal/page__st__20

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...