Wiper Washer Motor Repair

cobra269

Just about every Datsun I have had, the wiper washer motor never worked, so I decided to grab one from the wrecking yard to experiment on.

This one was having the issue of "nothing at all when power applied". So I decided to see why nothing happened.

This is not to standards, but it was thrown together as I can remember it, so use with caution and be careful.

I began by removing the three philips screws at the bottom of the pump...

IMG_1035.jpg

Remove the bottom of pump to reveal the pump blades. At this point you will need to remove the blade from the pump shaft

by carefully prying it from the shaft upward.

IMG_1034.jpg

After you get the blade off, you should do a little cleaning around the pump shaft being carefull not to loose the copper washer at the base of the shaft.

IMG_1033.jpg

Remove the copper washer and place safely aside. If you cant remove it, it will come off when you remove the blade casing below...

IMG_1032.jpg

You will now need a thin but strong flathead screwdriver. Gently straighten the clamping limbs around the pump that holds the blade casing.

IMG_1031.jpg

Now this is where it gets a little tricky... Remove the blade casing by sliding it off the shaft, be carefull not to pull the shaft out of the pump body when you remove the blade casing. when you get the blade casing off, you can now see the inside of the pump. The plastic retainer that the power wires connect to slide up and out of the pump body. Be careful not to damage the electrical contacts on the motor.

IMG_1030.jpg

After you remove the power connection from the pump body, you can now remove the pump motor by simply pulling it out of the body.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

The pump motor will most likely be in good shape, we only need to clean thoroughly the electrical contacts, pump body inside and out, blade and casing and the exterior of unit. I used wd40 and a wire brush like a toothbrush to remove corrosion on inside and wire wheel on outside of metal pump housing.

To reinstall: Be sure to apply waterproof grease at points where the shaft spins against surfaces like in the verry bottom inside of pump housing where the shaft sets in the indentation, where blade casing slides over pump shaft and copper washer.

The rest of the reinstall, just reverse the process. Before you instal the pump blade, spin the pump shaft a few dozen times to set the electrical contacts. finish reinstall and test it before you put it back in your ratsun.

After I rebuilt this unit, It sputtered a few time and I had to kick start it once by spinning the blade, but once it got going, there was no stopping it until I pulled the power. I put this one in my 75 620 and it shot water over my cab and hit the car behind me. I then decided to rebuild the one that was originally in my truck and it came out perfect after rebuild, and I didnt have to kick start it. But overall, they both work great and still kicking flat bugs asses.

Im sure someone could probably write this alot better, and if so, please do... You have my full permission....

• Like 3
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good writeup! Preserves the original configuration of thee vehicle. If all else fails, buy the lowest cost after market wiper bottle assembly from JCWhitney, unbolt the moter and disconnect the hose to the solvent body and switch over to your factory unit. The after market unit motors have a 3 hole mounting flange. 2 of them will line up with the corresponding body mounting surface. A plus is that this new motor comes with a connect / disconnect plug that you can splice into the existing underhood harness.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I just did this, and was surprised that my pump actually works! Thank you so much for the write up! only thing is that when i was taking out the connector, the contacts came off, but a simple solder iron on these contacts and they became even stronger! :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the great post!  I took two of mine apart and did not find a copper washer on either of them (just some wet metallic grime).  Added a small copper washer from home depot to give the blade some space from the blade housing.  Didn't get it to work yet.  Just curious, how did you "kick start" the blade on the first one?   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the great post!  I took two of mine apart and did not find a copper washer on either of them (just some wet metallic grime).  Added a small copper washer from home depot to give the blade some space from the blade housing.  Didn't get it to work yet.  Just curious, how did you "kick start" the blade on the first one?   

Didn't need to. It worked as soon as powered up... For some reason when I replied to this a month ago, it didn't post and didn't notice. Sorry...

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Trying to find fix for leaky pump shaft "seal." 

Also had issues with the pump cover seal.  Don't know if it started life as a 20mm x 22mm x 1mm o-ring, but the final shape is a right triangle.  I'm been using Honda Tech gray RTV.

There are some very similar pumps avail on eBay.  But on the 1974, the pump is so hidden you could replace with just about anything and no one would know.

• 1 year later...

@cobra269 Thanks for this tutorial! I pulled and opened mine up as described, cleaned up all the internals, re-lubed the motor shaft to copper bushing joints and it is now working great. Not bad for a 42 year old motor :thumbup: 

@Cardinal Grammeter Do you mean the seal at the bottom of the pump (part you unscrew to access motor)? that is where mine was leaking. If so, I made my own out of neatly cut bicycle inner tube. Hope that helps.

• Like 1