new engine! and Q about 200sx 5speed:

i picked up an L18 with A87 head on sunday for 85 bucks! pumped for the rebuild.

but i might pick up a 1980 200sx 5speed from a friend for like 20 bucks... he says it's been sitting for a while and he doesn't know if it still works... it still turns though... so who knows. but the question is: will i need a shortened driveline to run this in my 72 4-door?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeff Hino just threw away a bunch of L motors!!!!!!!!!Nobody wanted them.

No the 80 200sx should fit right in. But you should get the Dave Carrol VG30.com X member from that trans with the 280 z mount then it will fit in the tunnel perfect.

order VG.30 stuff from carter below

Carter Boad [CarterB@Electroimpact.com]

I was wrong its the 77-79 200sx trans that fits on ,not the 80 as Mike pointed out be;ow

carbadapter5speedxmenbers_thumb.jpg

From 6/'79 to 6/'81 the Z20E motor was used in the 200sx so it will have a NAPS Z series bolt pattern on the transmission. It will bolt together but the trans will be tilted to the pass. side and the mount will need to be modified and the shifter bent toward the driver. The tilt difference is 12 degrees.

The FS5W71B has two case halfs and a centersection to hold them together. The front case half from the 200sx can be swapped with the proper L series case from a 620 truck or 280z car and would now position the tranny vertically in your 510. And yes the 5spd would be about 5" longer.

....... And yes the 5spd would be about 5" longer.

The stock F4W63L that is in your 510 is approximately 26 3/8" long, the FS5W71B is just over 31" or about 5" longer. So yes a shortened drive shaft will be needed.

Good score on the 5 spd btw.

okay so will i be able to take my stock 4-speeding housing for the 5speed to bolt up right? please please pretty please say yes.

I'd like to say yes but sorry, I can't. The 4spd front housing won't work on the 5spd. All you need is the front housing, find someone with a busted 5 spd and take it off their hands for $10?

Ask on here: WTB one broken 280/620 5spd willing to take $5 to haul it away!

alright... so my pop has a 240z and he just got a 4-speed, but was wanting a 5 speed... he's got the stock L24 in it. will my tranny bolt up to his? we measured, and it's the same length as his 4-speed tran.. also, he brought up a good question, if i was to bolt up the transmission with the 12 or 15[whatever] degree tilt as it is, will that effect the starter position on it?