510 guys - SEAT suggestions

I'm about halfway through the resto on my '68 Sedan.

I have OEM seats in perfect shape, but they sit way too high for me, and there's no side bolstering. It's like sitting on a barstool, which isn't conducive to driving (and she'll be a capable street car).

With that said, I don't want "racing" seats, as I hate the upper bolstering "wings". I have no need for the harness openings, or any of that stuff. I also don't want to spend more than $200 or so - this is a budget build.

I've seen Prelude seats in a Dime, but wanted to see some OIC's of what other people have done (before i make a decision).

So, thanks in advance for any suggestions / OIC's!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MK1 MR2 is common, or was.

He has the cloth seats, I have the vinyl ones out of the 16v mr2s.

They do have upper wings, but for stock seats out of a random car they are awesome. Drive side has adjustable width on the bolsters.

I used to have the 1st gen MR2 seats, but I took them out for these Recaro LS' (stole this pic, mine are the exact same). The MR2 seats are comfy and supportive, but it didn't match the look that I wanted and I had these Recaros sitting in storage. Not sure if they're in your budget... I see them going for anywhere from $3-500 of forums, but similar Recaros were offered from older BMW's and VW's. Maybe you could snag some from a wrecking yard for cheap. I love them. Supportive and very classy/period correct looking.

DSC_0015-3.jpg

I really like these in a 510, they have a period correct look to them. The material looks like the stock,matches pretty good with the door panels and the whole interior as well. They are from a E30 BMW 325IS. Okayfine on the "Realm" used them in his "Whitebird"

IMG_0553.JPG

I'm actually doing a switch from these uncomfortable racing buckets to a pair of Cobalt LS seats i picked up from the yard for $65. the car was just dropped off as i was digging thru some other cars, so it was good to know that the weather and dirty boots didn't get to them.

I know that DIme Dave is working on something similar and he is probably much further with installing them than i am, but he used Saturn Ion Redline seats. same shape and mounting system that needs to be modified, but his are leather and Recaros if my memory serves me right, so they are bound to be lighter. but they are really nice for the price i paid... just need to weld together a mount and install

new seat is on the left.

SDC14468.jpg

Those prelude seats will actually sit higher than the stock seats, at least mine did when was first trying to fit them.

Ended up having a buddy weld up some new frames that are only like 3/4 off the floor of the car, and about 3 inches back (being tall sucks sometimes)

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

these third gen prelude seats are the bomb, pretty much as much side bolster as I've ever seen in an OEM seat, and since they are OEM they'll actually last unlike aftermarket corbeaus or something

I really like these in a 510, they have a period correct look to them. The material looks like the stock,matches pretty good with the door panels and the whole interior as well. They are from a E30 BMW 325IS. Okayfine on the "Realm" used them in his "Whitebird"

IMG_0553.JPG

THAT is perfect.

Keep the ideas coming, guys - I doubt I'll be able to find a set of those, but I also like the 2nd-gen MR2 idea as well.

The Prelude seats aren't my cup of tea, but I know from experience how comfy they are.

I looooove P10 G20 seats, but they're hard to come by as well - and who knows if they'll fit...