2wd to 4wd

720RATSUN

So today i'm wanting to look into converting my 2wd 720 into 4x4. The reason for doing the conversion over just buying a 4x4 is that I grew up in the truck with my grand dad and he gave it to me. So its got sentimental value you could say. Anyways has anyone ever done this and how should i approach it??? thanks for any advice

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the suspension is different, theres the transfercase, driveshaft and hub assembly, and the mounts on the 2x4 frame are about 2" smaller, and thats just what I can think of atm. I bought a 2x4 intending on converting it and found it way easier to just start with a fresh 4x4 720. The amount of work needed seems like a massive waste of time even for sentimental reasons.

well, hold on... dont put the ideal of conversion out right from the get go...

Say you do a solid axle swap, bam... easy to take care of the front... well not easy, but, the BEST way to get the front converted. Weld in a transfer case. Not too hard to do, just have some basic fab skills, and a good welder. When you swap out the front for a solid axle, swap the rear with an axle with the same gears. Done, 4wd. Its all the things that a 4wd'er would do to their rig anyways. There are going to be some parts you will need to source. Mainly the driveshafts... But other then that. Its doable. I mean, I live in a duplex, and its something I would attempt in my driveway. A body lift is going to be one of the best mods to do while trying to convert. that away, you can modify your transfer case and all easily.

Dont get me wrong. if you want to wheel this thing, its a great ideal. But it better be super sentimental...

cause in the long run, could just buy a 4wd and just use that one for your 4wd needs. Going to better for gas mileage to drive the 2wd as a DD.

• Like 1

I don't know if you guys know this, but the first Datsun 4x4's in the USA were 2wd 620's converted by a shop in the Pacific NW, using Jeep parts.

So yeah...solid axle, t-case, rear axle, done. Use Jeep Dana 44's or Toyota mini axles. The only bummer about the Datsun case is that you don't have re-gearing options. But it is a divorced case, which means you can run ANY divorced case in it's place. Inchworm gear http://www.inchwormgear.com/ sells a divorced adapter for Toyota t-cases that would allow you to use a Toy t-case in that truck. And with a toy case, you can re-gear it all the way down to 5:1, and add a second case for 200:1 crawling.

• Like 1

yes, the nissan divorced case is bullet proof. But damn hard to find, and there are NO options for it... I plan on bolting two of them together as a doubler. Its been done before. I just cant find alot of info on it... I also cant find another divorced case. Them things are unobtanium. Thinking about just replacing it with say, an NP205 from a ford. Still a driver side drop. They make a divorced version of it already in some of there trucks, so if you snag one. Easy day to bolt it in. And I am sure there are some options out there for gears for it.

Another option is a sami case. They can be geared down cheap, and are pretty tough. And I am sure they are easy enough to find. I might look into this myself...

• Like 1

Inchworm also makes an adapter to convert the Toy mini case from passenger side drop to driver side drop.

http://www.inchwormgear.com/collections/transfer-case/products/built-lefty-left-hand-drop-geared-transfer-case

A dual Toyota setup has got to weigh less than a single 205.

• Like 1

hmm... this Strofffregen Motorsports guy might be onto something...

haha... Cause yea, that NP205 unit is huge, and already divorced they are tough to find... Toy cases are everywhere... But, then you would have to have a SYE kit, and all that just adds up to more monies then i want to put into my cases. Think i shall stay with the original ideal of just bolting two Nissan cases together.

yes, the nissan divorced case is bullet proof. But damn hard to find, and there are NO options for it... I plan on bolting two of them together as a doubler. Its been done before. I just cant find alot of info on it... I also cant find another divorced case. Them things are unobtanium.

Geez I have two in the shed one in the truck. Never heard they were that hard to find.

man... this blows, I have been looking for one for a long time. I have only seen one 4wd in the 81/83 area in a JY and it was stripped when the forklift brought it out... I need one. I am going to put a BOL for one... Any one got one they want to Barter/sell/donate to a dual case setup??

hmm... this Strofffregen Motorsports guy might be onto something...

haha... Cause yea, that NP205 unit is huge, and already divorced they are tough to find... Toy cases are everywhere... But, then you would have to have a SYE kit, and all that just adds up to more monies then i want to put into my cases. Think i shall stay with the original ideal of just bolting two Nissan cases together.

Toyota cases don't use a slip yoke, they have bolted on flanges. Then using the divorced adapter, there is another flange on the input. The only slip yokes would be in the driveshafts. You can even get 30 spline chromoly shafts for Toyota cases now.

So today i'm wanting to look into converting my 2wd 720 into 4x4. The reason for doing the conversion over just buying a 4x4 is that I grew up in the truck with my grand dad and he gave it to me. So its got sentimental value you could say. Anyways has anyone ever done this and how should i approach it??? thanks for any advice

I know where there is a good 4x4 donor truck. The truck runs good but the body is real bad off. It is in franklin if you are close. Think he wants 400 but might take a little less. One of the junk yards i know has a 4x4 in it also.

• Like 1

It would be easy for me to drive it home or use the pullbar to get it home and part it out. Just do not know if i want to go through the trouble since i do not have much time right now. I could use the parts though. If someone was close i would give them the # so they could call him. If not in a few weeks i might could get it.

• Like 1