Dual fuel setup on a 720 (Propane/gas)

So I am new to the propane side. But a lot of serious off road wheelers swear by the benefits of the propane. So I am going to do it.

Going to keep it dual fuel, until i get the hang of refilling my tank and figure out where all the fuel stations are. Hate to be walking on the side of the road

with a propane tank to get fuel...

There is a slight decrease in MPG using propane, but there are numerous of other benefits. Its way cleaner burning then petrol, thus does not dirty the engine. Also extends the life of oil, seeing there is no fuel to wash past the rings. Its also cool to say your truck runs on propane. One man reason I am doing this conversion is price. I have been searching Ebay for the parts. Thinking I can do the full conversion for around $200. Well a gal of propane runs about $2 here in puyallup if you buy 50-100 gallons at a time.

I plan on having a big tank in the bed, and one underneath. $2 a gallon.... let that one sink in... When petrol hits $6 gal this summer, I will be loving my system even more.

The toyota guys say you get a little extra hp and torque out of the setup, but not enough to classify it as a benefit to the system. but, seeing that it is a pressurized vapor, it will run upside down, on its side, any which direction you put it. and less susceptible to stalling. For the off road use. this system is amazing. Also no fuel to spill if I roll.

The route that I am taking is cause of my budget. I am sure there are better ways to do it.

I am going to use a Impco model J convertor/vaporizer and just spud-in jet into my carb. Find a good vacuum cutoff switch so that when my motor shuts off, no vacuum, no fuel. I suggest a vacuum operated system due to safety concerns of off-roading. Say i roll and get knocked out, and my key is still on. Could lead to a safety issue. with the vacuum lock off. engine dies, there is no fuel.

What are y'all thoughts on this?

Also, 90% of the worlds propane comes from America.... Fuck foreign oil, my truck runs on American propane.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran my truck on propane today.... :)

Was a shady-azz setup, but i started it, let it idle and revved her up...

I took out the fuse for the fuel pump, and then ran it till it died, then just to start it a couple times to make sure. Then after letting it sit for half hour, tried again just to make sure.

I took one of the big connections on the intake manifold, ran some tygon tubing, and shoved one of my propane torches in there and turned it on...

Well, it didn't want to start right off the bat, i think it might have been flooded on propane, but after a brief hesitation, she started right up. and ran... sputtered a bunch, but i don't think it was getting adequate amount of propane.

Once i sell these last set of ball joint spacers, i am going order my converter.

WP_000541.jpg

If you want to go an alternative fuel route why not cng?... Both my pops and my brother have dual fuel setups on their cars that use cng and its way cheaper, not to mention the gas stations are self fill stations you pump yourself...

Check this out

http://www.cngprices.com/station_map.php?location=puyallup%2C+wa&lat=47.1853785&lng=-122.2928974

I am moving back to Texas in a couple months, so cold weather will never be an issue. Also the regulator gets hooked up to the heater hose, so that it has warm water running through it.

Seen guys running this setup in less then 20 degree weather. Just have to have a method to keep the convertor warm.

The initial cost of CNG is way over LPG. I am on a budget... Propane is a direct switch over to petrol, I know that much. The plan for the LPG switch is to keep it under $200. I need the Convertor, and the hose. I am doing all the rest custom. A custom adapter to go overt my carb, and i already have two 5 gal propane tanks. The CNG tanks, 2gal, cost about $200. They operate at a much higher pressure...

I plan on going to an RV tank. A big one that I can fit up underneath my bed. I got tons of room under there after the BL. But tight now, I have two of those 5 gal ones. Got those for free... Going to keep it on the cheap until I get all the bugs worked out.

Hey Bandit, you should check and see what parts went with that setup. It could work for me... :poke:

I love this idea. I had heard something about it a few years back, but never thought much of it. I heard back then that its an amazing way to run at extreme angles out in the rocks and back woods. Plus the environmental/cost benefits could be great too. I may think about this one for myself. Keep us posted, please!

yea, there is no direction that this stuff doesn't work. there is a video of a guy running a ford motor underwater.... The stuff works awesome.

Gas just hit $4.25 here, and propane is like $2.80... I need to get some dimes together and order my regulator... I built a custom air intake outta a jiffy peanut butter jar. Gotta post pics here tomorrow.

its my cheap cold air intake, worked great running up and down there street... Ran better with it. Little more power... And it sounded cool... I drilled a small hole in the top, for air in, my future propane injection site. And it whistled super loud each time i gave it gas. Sounded like a turbo spooling up, super loud...

yuo've got me turned onto the idea now. once my truck is running again that is. i'm just hurting for gear oil. 6.50 a quart is the cheapest i can get it for the tranny.

and gas hit 4.25 for you?? gas prices froze over here, at least for the last 2 weeks, highest i've seen was 3.98, lowest was 3.85, all for 87oct

we had regular gas for $4.17 for like two weeks, then it dropped down to $4.09 for another two weeks, and then in 3 days, it went to $4.25-$4.30...

I haven't seen the price of propane fluctuate even a little.

I found a buyer for my rims and tires, as long as he comes through, I will be ordering my propane parts off ebay soon. I am so excited!! Already have my sticker guy making a decal for my back window, that says, "Fuck foreign oil, I run on AMERICAN propane!!"

My only issue right now, is do I keep it dual fuel, or straight propane? I could make a custom intake, to sit on top of the carb. To inject the propane in, or a custom throttle body spacer, with a jet in it.

I am confused on how i want to do this part. Cause if I run an intake on top of my carb, how would i control idle mixture? Or will the propane regulator do this? Cause I know that if you buy the straight propane carb that they sell, it has a idle adjustment, and WOT adjustment. Do I need these?

yuo've got me turned onto the idea now. once my truck is running again that is. i'm just hurting for gear oil. 6.50 a quart is the cheapest i can get it for the tranny.

and gas hit 4.25 for you?? gas prices froze over here, at least for the last 2 weeks, highest i've seen was 3.98, lowest was 3.85, all for 87oct

sooo... Your hurting for 18 bucks of oil?

Go to walmart, buy up some super tech gear oil(only 4 bucks a quart)... Only 12 bucks...

Our transmissions take pints of oil not quarts... 2.5 quarts is more then enough... And this oilhad a better performance rating while still being yellow metal safe (low sulfur content, which is why gl4 is usually recommended)

Just had a couple conversations going on about gear oil over on 720 world... Then I did some more reading and found good info...

Ilk bring over a link...