1979-82 210 rear hatchback question

When I unlock the rear hatchback should the gas charged lift's pick up the hatch or should it need some help?I took them off and they seem liked there well charged but they would not hold the hatch up alway,i think they need replaced.Thanks guys

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to assist them to hold it up -- they should hold up the hatch all by themselves.

Datsuns don't have a power-hatch or power-trunk-lid like some of the new cars do. The lid/hatch is manual. The struts hold it open after you open it ...

You have to haul the lid open with some resistance in the first few degrees of motion. The lifts also serve to hold the lid down in the closed position. Closing is generally a good tug to get started if the lifts retain enough gas to really work. Easily replaced, manufacturers say 2 man job but an easy one man job, just brace when the first lift is removed.

I had an issue with this for a while with my 210 hatch. kept having to prop it up and it drove me nuts. I got new lift supports from O'Reilly's but theirs weren't strong enough to hold it up either. Had to get them from RockAuto (which was cheaper anyway). Kind of a pain to get them in, but now just a light lift and the hydraulics do the rest.

• 2 years later...