93 Eclipse gs Widebody

Just noticed this section and had to post up my eclipse aka Mischief, project. I got the car back in 2007 when I was 11. The car ran great but we never used til we got tired of fixing up another pos 1.8l eclipse we had. anyway, here's what it basically looked like when i got it, except paint was much worse:

2011-04-19_12-09-44_924.jpga couple of months, my dad decides we should build something similar to a 76 camaro he'd built in the 80's. This meant fender flare's, wide wheels, a whale tail, and several other things I'm not gonna get into, basically all efforts were to make it more aerodynamic. I worked on the whale for a couple months and its still not finished, but here's a couple of old pics of it after the whale tail and hood bulges. 2010-10-22182157-1.jpgKeep in mind that the current hood is just a mold for the fiberglass hood I'll be making. I'll update with more photo's tomorrow.

• Like 28
  • Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're 100% correct in the fact that body mods are looked down on, in the DSM crowd. I've owned seven various DSMs and work for a shop that specializes in them. Stock body all the way! I'm hoping this thread turns out good... I'll be watching it.

Sorry for the bad quality on all the photos, but anyway, later on my timing slips and the car's head bend some valves cause of my mechanic didn't do what I told him too. Since the cars sitting and ain't gonna run for a while time for more crazy body tricks and finally new wheels and tires, which were ordered while the car ran, was so pissed when they came the day after the car died. Anyway, new tires are 9 in wide. Stuck out past the fender but didn't seem to rub anywhere. Anyway a couple weeks later my dad takes a cut off wheel to my fenders and makes a bunch of teeth for structural purposes. Then we start making the patterns for my car's louvers. Managed to get the hardest 2 parts of the louvers made. Made some inner fender wells for the car after that, really think they look like a piece of art. The driver's side stuck out a little to much, had to cut some tabs into it to get it short enough and also made it a little bit stronger, didn't bother with the other side since the otherside was fine. Another few weeks later, put some "great stuff" on the fender wells to start molding the flares. there actually coming along quicker then my spoiler did, but I know what I'm doing this time. Passenger side is close to being done. Driver side has way to much and I'm still trimming but its coming along great, just have to get some metal for the rear fender wells and finish building those, thats gonna be a headache. :confused:
decided to toss a pic of my 78 camaro for s&g's.

So what are the plans for this car? Youre running a non-turbo front wheel drive car with a ridiculous widebody kit on it... Where are you going with it? Are you on any other forums with this thing? Purity/Tuners/MM?

Joined tuner but never use it, assume I would get flamed anyway. Its gonna be a high speed corner carver, I've got a high comp 4g63 I plan on building have it planned out just gotta get the parts, most of the front end will be made out of twaron, hood will be completely twaron. Spoiler is near finished and its just foam and fiberglass. I wanted to go awd and turbo but that would me heavily modifying my floorpan or throwing all my parts on another car, and I love my gs, so the body swap was not an option. Going high comp is cheaper also, don't have to buy any intercooler or other expensive stuff and I'm doing it with mostly stock parts from other cars. Problem I have is a cam, no one makes cams for non turbo cars appearantly.

Honestly i'd of prefered a gsx and had a 1gb pop up light gsx I could of used, but I'm to attatched to my gs and going none turbo non awd is cheaper and lighter, plus don't have to tune near as much.

Joined tuner but never use it, assume I would get flamed anyway. Its gonna be a high speed corner carver, I've got a high comp 4g63 I plan on building have it planned out just gotta get the parts, most of the front end will be made out of twaron, hood will be completely twaron. Spoiler is near finished and its just foam and fiberglass. I wanted to go awd and turbo but that would me heavily modifying my floorpan or throwing all my parts on another car, and I love my gs, so the body swap was not an option. Going high comp is cheaper also, don't have to buy any intercooler or other expensive stuff and I'm doing it with mostly stock parts from other cars. Problem I have is a cam, no one makes cams for non turbo cars appearantly.

Well, I will admit that I do not like the body kit at all... I will give you respect in the fact that youre putting in work though. The 6-bolt NA block is the same as the turbo variant so they use the same exact cams.... You can buy any variety of cams for it and run them. Stock cam profiles for the NA are 254/248 I believe with the turbo version being 248/248.

And you were probably wise to stay off Tuners; they are a bunch of tools.

Its not a kit. It will look better when its finished hopefully. The problem isn't finding cams exactly, just finding ones for a non-turbo application. Call it stupid or ugly as you want, I like it and that's all that matters.

The problem isn't finding cams exactly, just finding ones for a non-turbo application.

Thats what Im trying to tell you... the turbo and non-turbo cars use the same cams. Just buy 4G63T cams in a profile adequate for your needs.

For engines from 89.5-93 (6bolt) the NA and turbo variants are basically the same engine minus the turbo components. A lot of parts are interchangeable as long as you apply the concepts of NA engine building to it (i.e., you want higher compression versus the lower turbo compression)... but them cams are the same. You want be able to use the same profile types that the turbos run, but the cams are the same and Im sure you would still get the gains youre looking for by upgrading.

Now when you get into the second generation of Eclipses, thats when the turbo and NAs, differ. The NAs, were Chrysler engines where as the turbos remained 4Gs. There are NA 4G63s in the Spyders though... as well as 6G64s (I think... not too familiar with the Spyders).

understeer and torque steer! fwd doesnt corner well at high speeds even if the car is 12 ft wide.

it will if I i want it too! I never had any issues with torque steer, if I remember correctly, the driveshafts are the same length to prevent torque steer. I've had the car spin out on me once and it was my fault and the crappy tires I had. when i spun out I learned trying to do 70 around a 90* angle, is not a good idea, bad road, bad tires, careless driving. I can blame a million things but I'm not blaming the car. plus I never said no suspension mods, just none til the body is done.

For engines from 89.5-93 (6bolt) the NA and turbo variants are basically the same engine minus the turbo components. A lot of parts are interchangeable as long as you apply the concepts of NA engine building to it (i.e., you want higher compression versus the lower turbo compression)... but them cams are the same. You want be able to use the same profile types that the turbos run, but the cams are the same and Im sure you would still get the gains youre looking for by upgrading.

Now when you get into the second generation of Eclipses, thats when the turbo and NAs, differ. The NAs, were Chrysler engines where as the turbos remained 4Gs. There are NA 4G63s in the Spyders though... as well as 6G64s (I think... not too familiar with the Spyders).

Yeah the 2nd gen had the 4g63, 4g64, and the chrysler 420A, the 3rd gen had all but the 4g63 and could also come with a 6g72 I believe.

If you want to bite the only hand thats feeding you on this site then feel free... apparently you dont know as much as you thought since you didnt know about NA cams. Ive been working on DSMs since 1998, but it looks like you have things covered.

If you want to bite the only hand thats feeding you on this site then feel free... apparently you dont know as much as you thought since you didnt know about NA cams. Ive been working on DSMs since 1998, but it looks like you have things covered.

sorry man, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, and I know your just helpin' out. everything I say seems to be coming out dickish.