Distributor installation help!

Hello,

I have a 74 620, L-18 looking to swap out the old distributor for the match box type. i have the new electronic dist. I was wondering if anyone has any info on the correct way to install the dist. Frank from the seattle area was nice enough to give me some general info. he said to ask for Heinze? for any questions on the L- series motors. I have two datsun pickups, my 74 620 is a

rare dealer installed jeep 4x4 conversion, 67,000 original miles, very cool truck.My other is a 71 521 with 95,000 original miles. both trucks are very straight, and rust free California vehicles. Looking to do dist. upgrade to both trucks. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance. Mike.

E-mail is d521king@yahoo.com

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. Install it the same way as a standard distributor. Timing, etc. See your Datsun repair manual

2. Connect existing Ballast Resistor + wire to Black Box stem of T-connector

3. Connect coil - wire to Black Box head of T-connector

That's it!

On the distributor's black box module, the T-connector wiring is:

Head of T: Blue or White wire (coil negative)

Stem of T: B/W wire (coil positive)

MIke Dave,

do as GGZILLA said This is for the stock coil and ballast you have in there already.

1. Install it the same way as a standard distributor. Timing, etc. See your Datsun repair manual

2. Connect existing Ballast Resistor + wire to Black Box stem of T-connector

3. Connect coil - wire to Black Box head of T-connector

That's it!

PS a L16 521 stock is a dual point dizzy and the matching mount that goes with this.

Did frank sell you a dizzy with the mount. They should be a matching pair? and has a bigger dizzy Cap.

A l6 roto will pint in a differnt direction than a L20 one so that why you will line it up to TDC then install the dizzy and where it lock down you will asign it #1 plug wire then install the other wire 1 3 4 2 counter clock wise.

On the distributor's black box module, the T-connector wiring is:

if using a MSD Blaster 2 coil use this drawing and remove the ballast resisitor(this take advantage of the EI coil to give more SPARK to the plugs)

If in dought do not change anything till you are sure you know what your doing. Just sell me that 4x4 (for cheap)and Ill fix the 521 for ya

coilwireing_thumb.jpg