WTB-L18 EFI Manifold.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...., my buddy up here has persuaded me that I need EFI on my L20b if I'm going to keep driving it daily like I do. You guys are lucky, you don't have to smog your cars every year like us. I'm going to rebuild the L20b in my daily driver then EFI the beast and be done with it. The SU's I run are great until the temps drop to about 0C, then the trouble starts with cold start!

Throttle body fuel injection is real simple.

for a start, I bet you could find throttle body injection from some junker american car with a 2.0 engine and adapt that to a stock intake manifold where the carb used to go. Then once you got it all set up just swap the manifolds.

A lot of US cars in the 80's had throttle body injection.

I've been told this is the easiest way with a megasquirt box, won't make huge power, but, it's a L20b daily driver in my 4 door so it doesn't have too. It has to start easy, give me good gas milage and pass smog each year!

The '86.5-89 Hardbody with the Z24i had TBI, but the baseplate has an offset bolt that would require an adaptor plate.

As for the stuff I've got... I have (2) EFI manis- one is a real L18E manifold, the other is a '75 L28E mani with the middle 1/3 cut out and welded back together to make a 4-cyl.

I'd sell the modded one but no one has offered enough yet. And I'm not giving a ballpark figure.

I heard a guy using a honda TBI on a L motor. But who knows if it would pass smog testing. I personaly have never done a emisions test in my life :) good old washington, 25 year rule :D

Doug I need a package deal one L efi manifold and 1 tan bench.

I heard a guy using a honda TBI on a L motor. But who knows if it would pass smog testing. I personaly have never done a emisions test in my life :) good old washington, 25 year rule :D

Doug I need a package deal one L efi manifold and 1 tan bench.

Say Jeff, you horning in on my action now :eek: !

I heard a guy using a honda TBI on a L motor.

Something about great minds... uh think alike... or something about being crazy. Anyway, I was thinking this same thing, 88-91 honda civic, crx, and wagovans use what is called DPFI, dual-point-fuel-injection, fancy term for TBI. Use megasquirt, or a custom chipped honda ecu ( http://www.pgmfi.org ). If you use the honda ECU you can use the internal coil and the honda dizzy, it normally turns the opposite way, but I found some crazy frenchies who put one on a daewoo that turns the normal way and it worked fine, all you would need to do for the L is make a distributor drive adaptor and dizzy plate adapter.

BTW I have plans to POSSIBLY go this route and turbo the L20 with a MPFI setup from a civic/crx SI with custom tuned ecu and a prelude 2.2L TB. Everyone (honda and datsun) would hate me for it... but it would sure run... I may go with a KA-E with sidedrafts though... ugh... decisions decisions.

If you do end up with a manifold I have a complete EFI setup (wiring harness, AFM, ECU, and factory manual) i'll sell you really cheap. Its off of a 200sx. Its the same setup they wrote about in dimequarterly.

not to mention you lived most of your life out in the boonies where they dont' have emission testing on any cars! ;)

haha according to my drivers license I still live there :)

Say Jeff, you horning in on my action now :eek: !

I want a L EFI manifold for so long. I want one on the shelf for future projects. I would mind a L with EFI. My real enemy is the carburetor.

Something about great minds... uh think alike... or something about being crazy. Anyway, I was thinking this same thing, 88-91 honda civic, crx, and wagovans use what is called DPFI, dual-point-fuel-injection, fancy term for TBI. Use megasquirt, or a custom chipped honda ecu ( http://www.pgmfi.org ). If you use the honda ECU you can use the internal coil and the honda dizzy, it normally turns the opposite way, but I found some crazy frenchies who put one on a daewoo that turns the normal way and it worked fine, all you would need to do for the L is make a distributor drive adaptor and dizzy plate adapter.

BTW I have plans to POSSIBLY go this route and turbo the L20 with a MPFI setup from a civic/crx SI with custom tuned ecu and a prelude 2.2L TB. Everyone (honda and datsun) would hate me for it... but it would sure run... I may go with a KA-E with sidedrafts though... ugh... decisions decisions.

If it spun the wrong way couldn't you just move the wires until they where in the right order? I don't think it would matter which way the dizzy spun, all the plug wires are 90 degrees off you know. fun to think about though. I'm gunna do MegaSquirt myself. Steve and Tagen talked me into it.

I don't mind carbs that much, they do take a lot of fiddling around to get them to work right though. My buddy talked me into the idea of EFI for the L. Makes sense to me because of the emissions testing we have to have done every year. Easier to pass air care with EFI than a ratty old carb system like my SU's. I'm going to keep on shopping and get one, more if I can find them.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.