Attn: cheap bastard B210 owners, small bumpers on a budget!

datsunfreak

Okay, maybe not that cheap, but cheaper than sourcing a JDM front bumper... :P

Tim's B210 doesn't have bumpers at all. We were contemplating finding a way to make some kind of US-spec bumper fit the front. We tried maybe 5-6 different options (sometimes it's nice to have too many spares), and finally found one that's a decent fit.

This is a 70-73 1200 front bumper. Fitted straight up it looked decent, but there was maybe a 1/2" gap between the grill and bumper at the center. So we took the bumper off, put it face down on the floor on top of some wood blocks and pushed down on both ends simultaneously to "straighten" it out a bit. Not only did we make it fit up flush to the grill, it gave us more clearance at the fender ends.

2m79bes.jpg

Yes, it's tight, but it fits. Obviously to make it look "good", you'd want to shave the grill lights (or replace them with fogs) and mount the 1200 turn signals up under the bumper. You'll also need to make your own brackets, but that 's pretty simple with bumpers this light. Two simple S-shaped bracket at the sides, and a piece of flat strap steel bent up at each end with holes drilled in it will bolt them on at the center (one bolt to the stock bumper mount on the car, one bolt to the bottom of the bumper).

Rear bumper is a no go, but hey... They look cool without the rear bumper, just not without the front. :P

So, whose gonna try it? :cool:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't test fit the rear yet, so you're on your own there. B)

Post up if it fits. :thumbup:

No, I mean I have the JDM B210 rear bumper. Two actually, NOS. Now I just need to find a 1200 front bumper, hmmm.

Edit: I seem to remember seeing that on a B210 before, it was one of those auction links that popped up a while back, had been hit in the rear though, so the pics weren't the best. Fit didn't look awesome though.

Found the link:

http://www.salvage-cars-for-sale.info/salvage/for-sale-datsun-b210-1978-MTM1MTE4NjA

Edited by Dguy210
  • 2 weeks later...

I was actually considering drilling out the shocks on mine, knocking them in to pull the stock bumper in closer and doing some serious cutting the stock U.S. bumper. Just have never gotten around to to it. I live in an apartment, no space no tool. Blah!

I was actually considering drilling out the shocks on mine, knocking them in to pull the stock bumper in closer and doing some serious cutting the stock U.S. bumper. Just have never gotten around to to it. I live in an apartment, no space no tool. Blah!

6 mph into a brick wall will get them closer to the body. No tools needed.

The 74/75 body shocks are shorter than the 77/78 and the bumper mounts at a different point to the bumper. So just swap out to the later model bumpers, which bolt right up, and you get about a 2 inch pull in, and retain functioning shock absorbers.

Also I happen to think the chrome bumpers look better than the earlier models.

086533b9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...