Steve Jr. AKA "Junior" 1971 4-door KA24E 510 Daily

yeah, i'd still be down to do some cruise around the area before i go.

in other news, its in and wired. started testing things today, I'm a little worried because i didnt hear any noise from my fuel pump...not sure if the ECU waits for you to hit the starter before it starts pumping? i'll check it out tomorrow...

edit: did a little studying and I'm not so worried about the pump anymore. since its wired to the relays I can only assume the ecu sends power to it only after it gets a feed from the orange start sense wire. we'll see tomorrow, gonna add oil and coolant then try to get em fired up :D

and a shot of my completed (still unlabeled/unbolted) switch panel. controls for rad fan, on, acc, hi beams and reverse (when I wire the revers lights that is...)

dd2854d1.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thermostat housing leaked...tried to tighten down the bolts and the housing cracked. Oh well, luckily I have 2 of everything for a KA haha. waiting for the coolant/water mixture to drain out then I'll swap out the thermostat housing and try to fill the cooling system again. once I get coolant/water in I can try to start it up :devil:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/jgong9609/1971%20Datsun%20510%204%20door/F6037EB1-287C-45C6-8B37-6973FFC34832-1877-0000021EFB71A299.mp4

it doesn't like to idle though unless i keep on the gas. and as you can see in the video the revs drop kind of slowly. anyone got any ideas why this might be happening? sounds like a vacuum issue to me...any ideas what vacuum hose might cause this?

I drove my KA24DE a few times trying to figure out why it was running shitty,, and the firing order was backwards .... :rofl: . these motors will run on almost anything,,, even drive with 3 plug wires and a wrong firing order.. :lol:

it should sound like a BEAST if everything is hooked up right ... it doesn't sound "right" ... I think you can use an un-lit propane torch to look for vacuum leaks ... (maybe google it first :lol:)... also check your MAF wiring .... and your IACV tube for leaks around the Cold air inlet

Compression checked?

got it running right! there are 2 vacuum lines on the passenger side of the intake. I had them open. not sure what they are but don't leave them open lol. plugged those up and bam....it purrs. rockers are noisy but with a sohc KA that's not a shock. I'll clean them when I get a chance. now it's time to finish up the interior work and he'll be ready for the move.

thanks! I've put a lot of time sweat blood money tears....whatever else goes into these things lol. and as promised....my new shoes....

7460D5D7-12B1-438A-8303-885E5D599D36-4541-000006D6480841AC.jpg

14x6.5 SSR MKII's =) they're so light! thinking about painting the centers to match the valve cover/intake. and polishing the lips

great guys. got me in and out in less than an hour for $40 :P

in other news. drove 6+ hours to my new apartment today. usually a 4 hr drive but my fuel pemp went out in the middle of the freeway and later my fuel return line let loose while going 70 mph up a hill and spewed gas everywhere...luckily we were able to repair everything and get it down here under its own power (for most of the way)

63441BD3-1D6B-4F3C-B4B7-337BB941044E-5331-000007265A669B6E.jpg

during a fuel stop

its like flat olive green. i think it might just be green primer...not sure...maybe it is paint. yeah earth colors may work....but then what color do i paint them? haha, I have a few months to decide won't be able to take the rims apart until december. I'm thinking either the mint green from the valve cover, try to match the body color, bronze, red....idk? anyone got any ideas? maybe I'll see if my photoshop skills aren't too rusty :ninja:

here's a new pic of my switch cover now that the indents from the binder clips has worn out

2012-08-21121646.jpg

and my new view from the kitchen window...not complaining one bit :sneaky:

2012-08-21122105.jpg

you can see in this pic how I had to prop the hood up about a 1/2" because the intake didnt clear :P

2012-08-21115930.jpg

Finally, while driving around I've been trying to work out all the kinks in my new system and I'm getting a small hesitation issue. At high-ish speeds (73ish) I loose fuel pressure and have to wait a second for gas (and power) to come back. Its really only an annoyance but I would like my car to run as best it can. So I've narrowed it down to 2 things.

a) Im running a #10 ECU for a manual and a NAPZ tranny...no speed sensor...is my ECU limiting me because it's being confused by the lack of signal from the speed sensor?

B) I've maxed out the flow on the stock fuel lines (I can rev to my hearts content in the lower gears though, it seems to be speed related not rev related)

anyone know what it might be? If its the first one I have a #11 ECU back in the bay area that I can swap out and if its the 2nd one i was going to upgrade my fuel lines and get a fuel cell this december. Just trying to only do that if its necessary

• 2 weeks later...