'80 210 Daily Driver

I picked up this car as a daily driver while putting my project '77 620 together(http://community.rat...__fromsearch__1). I dont have much in the way of project plans for her yet... im just putting band-aids on all the bleeding arteries, at this point.

4a18774d.jpg

a9942581.jpg

932da64b.jpg

6a1d5d57.jpg

^parked next to eagle_adam, above that shes parked next to the pumpkn.

Got new front side turn signals.

d688bff1.jpg

7a544065.jpg

f975f7c8.jpg

Also fixed a brake lense, pics will be up in time.

Got a new shift knob, the old one wouldnt even thread. (shout out to cl72wagon)

1d4b4a84.jpg

899a47b5.jpg

322f5d85.jpg

just replaced the brake pads/clips, rotors, wheel bearings and seals. (many thanks goes out to eagle_adam)

9abd5c6e.jpg

0bced71e.jpg

75d9070b.jpg

Ribbed for her pleasure

26cef9c6.jpg

43ceffa1.jpg

f4f79169.jpg

All Done

4113947a.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The muffler stopped working as well, so when i investigated i found

3505573e.jpg

aeb093eb.jpg

dc0b942a.jpg

So i bought (as a temporary solution)

2a18f63d.jpg

5db9deb3.jpg

8311a04b.jpg

58378ff8.jpg

(it said "apply liberally")

I let it cure up over night, as indicated, but that only made a crusty skin over a squishy under layer. It also says that it cures with heat. It was cold and raining when i put it on, so i figured i wouldn't hurt much to take a heat gun to it. After a little accelerated curing it looked like this

51da8149.jpg

1042cb41.jpg

after this process i started it and let it idle until was completely warm

when heat is focused on one spot, with my heat gun, it really kinda bubbled up (with no air pockets) and it hardens like a rock. pretty pleased with the results so far.

i was under my hood, on Sunday, with the help of RedBanner (many props) tinkering with the carb and emissions stuff. Attempted a Swap with a rebuilt carb, but came to the conclusion that would be better left for another day. But just the tune up / replacement of couple missing screws (on the old carb) has her running like 5% better. BUT the good news is RedBanner figured out that the second cylinder from the front is not firing. The reason this is good news is, now i know what needs to be worked on next.

ceca1833.jpg

17c687a7.jpg

bf89298c.jpg

choke was broken and out of adjustment, throttle shut off was completely gone, the BPTV was missing and I guess the Distributor Advance was hooked up to the wrong spot and even had an electrical Butt-splice that was used to connect two hose ends

34727c89.jpg

Here is some pics of the rebuilt Carb :hyper: cant wait to get it installed.

f4919333.jpg

74bea7b6.jpg

65848f90.jpg

03bb7662.jpg

3d804a32.jpg

Complete with fabricated s-shaped pin

397510c0.jpg

the muffler repair gave out on me today. only the joint around where the back end of the muffler meets up with the exaust. all the seams seemed fine...

i will be doing the same repair this evening, i have only have one errand to run first... but i'm amazed that she made a 60 mile round trip yesterday just fine, but today my round trip was like 16 miles and half way through my way home, the repair, gives up the ghost.

ill post a pic of the finished repair if it looks much different.

ive never had any success with any muffler weld. the last time i used it, it seemed till hold pretty well for about 20 blocks, then i started smelling this burning rotting flesh smell. i was so happy when it finally burned away.

Yeah, im pretty sure that i over applied (directions say to apply liberally. Although, on second thought, they probably would want me to have to put more on if it means i need to buy more... conniving companies :pirate: ). it seemed to have chipped away from all the spots that it didnt have an edge to hold on to:

9193ce8b.jpg

On the bright side, with the new knowledge of this product and its chippability, round two of the muffler repair is still holding. i have looked into the sweet race-mart deal, definitely on the shopping list.

I looked into the cylinder not firing when i got home from work today and totally lucked out. The first step was to pull the spark plug and check it for gunk, but it was clean and the interesting thing was that there was no gap! i am actually quite disappointed in myself for not having checked them earlier. needless to say the next thing i did was gap all four. I am very happy with the improvement, i cant wait to get this new carb on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well round two and three of my muffler repair ended up not lasting as long as the first attempt. So just for getting around, i put a clamp on the back end of the muffler where the repairs kept giving out. The clamp was holding the back wall of the muffler in so it wouldn't rattle back and forth... It was loud and at certain points it would still rattle BUT it didn't constantly rattle to the point where i would expect to get pulled over (as it did previously). I looked into Race-Mart and saw that they had enough BBB complaints to be rejected from certification. But they had mixed reviews, so i figured if other people have had success buying from this site that i might as well give it a try and make sure to be cautious (but for $24.50, figured i couldn't lose). Well with shipping my order came out to like $39.00-ish; when i went to process my order, i encountered an error screen that told me my order needs to be $25 or more... apparently they don't count their own shipping charges... I figured that was the last straw, this guy lost his sale. So, i found another company that had fewer negative reviews and placed my order (our-deals-rock.net or something like that). While waiting for them to ship my order after they confirmed it, i came to the conclusion that new pipes from the Cat. back would be a good idea. So when our deals rock sent me a notice that they canceled my order due to the product being discontinued, i decided to just take her into a local exaust shop and let them have all the fun... So, one day and 220 bucks later, she looks like this:

b0adf332.jpg

efd73941.jpg

44dc5e13.jpg

• Like 1

she is so much quieter :ninja:.Now i have to listen to my music at an appropriate level, so i know when to shift. Thinking about getting a parts shop tach. then i will be able to rock out as loud as i like, maybe that will give me good enough reason to put in a better set of speakers and get rid of the home stereo wiring.

• 3 weeks later...

I had been hearing a knocking noise in the front passenger area but lately it had been getting worse, and upon a quick investigation i found this:

869488e2.jpg

while the other side looked like this:

1cc5bd0d.jpg

being friday night after the parts stores had closed up, i was getting anxious to find out if this was going to be something that was hard to find or not...

8cb5d11b.jpg

poor thing, has her leg all bandaged up.

luckily i was up early today to help a friend of the family fell a tree in her yard. ended up getting a chance to call a couple parts shops and get some pricing and availability on these rubber bushings, found out i could have six at a local shop by noon. so, i got a ride to the parts shop after taking down the tree and picked up all the available bushings from the portland area. I lined up all the parts from the disconnected side:

e2f927fe.jpg

a7aedcea.jpg

f63eb802.jpg

The new bushings were a considerable amount bigger than the previous ones. so, to push the stabilizer bar up out of the way enough for me to push its connecting rod through with all of its washers and rubber friction makers, i bent some re-bar into a nice custom lever:

e649eea0.jpg

544a3849.jpg

I ended up putting another drilled out washer under the top bushing. when it was all threaded together it looked more like this:

a7825492.jpg

21ac8235.jpg

since i had two extra bushings, i figured i would replace the worse of the ones on the driver side (which still had all of its washers).

d5273b9b.jpg

After this photo was taken and she was taken for a quick drive, everything moved into its optimal positioning.

I do plan on getting the right washers and the other two bushings but i have a busy weekend planned, so this will have to do for now. feels sooooo much better, although not as much as going from 3 cylinders to 4!

• 2 weeks later...

While i was out at the Canby Show, i found some Rat ' n ' Wrenches Window Vinyls. When i heard that i could get a dollar off if i bought two, i got an idea for something unique.

b3730586.jpg

4c906c3f.jpg

So from the outside you see the red rat with a black shadow rat. And for the side that matters (the one i see the most) the black rat faces in with a red shadow.

fc71fc86.jpg

I have been debating what i would like to do with the backseat... if i should buy a seat and have the ability to cram some people in there or should i make it hella nice for my dog (as she would be the one to use it the most). When i bought the car, she had nothing in the backseat area except for a few engine and drive train parts. i cleaned her up and put in the trunk separation plywood.

9c27b809.jpg

For a long while i was driving around like this, with some memory foam cut-outs for comfort or fragile transportation.

2095895b.jpg

i found a dog bed that came with a couple plastic clips that would allow you to fold it in half and have it stay that way. this got me thinking about what i could do with these clips to secure the dog bed in the back of the car. while contemplating these little clips that came on the bed, i found these huge over-kill clips that i needed to incorporate

69f9553d.jpg

i was lucky enough to have my girlfriends mother agree to sew these huge clips securely to the new dog bed.

361e16dd.jpg

so here is my process for making a nice ass dog bed in your backseat... stripped out everything in the way

c1587b12.jpg

made rigid Packing Foam cut-outs to level out the bumps in the seat

e8dbb03b.jpg

when the foam was in place i could find the proper spot to mount the straps

23d7d593.jpg

the clips kinda help hold the foam in place

8239669c.jpg

then i put the memory foam back in as a backrest

a8602cf4.jpg

the bed clips in place nicely, with plenty of room for adjustment.

98dc280e.jpg

2b3485d9.jpg

and after the bed is upholstered with the dogs blanket...

e3bc01af.jpg

... its finally ready for her to check it out

30d75cf3.jpg

9d8ab79f.jpg

1de270da.jpg

96f84cd6.jpg

I think she likes it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...