Pic of frame

Farmer

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to swap a 620 body to '80 frame.. I want the steering gear box to be on the outside of frame to have room for engine. And to see if the suspension setup is different that the late 620's

Larry

• Like 1

The steering box is on the outside of all the 720 frames as you can see in this image.

DSCN0614.jpg

They are close, the 720 placement of the bumpstops are differant, therefore the upper A arms are a little differant.

Everything is close enough that you can put hardbody spindles/disc brakes on a balljoint 620.

If I can drop a 520 cab on a 86 720 frame, you can drop a 620 on a 1980 720 frame.

Have you measured everything to make sure the wheel wells are the correct distance apart, or are you going to mod the cab or box?

• Like 1

I havn't got that far yet. Do you know If i can use the 620 suspension setup on the 720 frame. Not worried about bumpstops and such, since Im planning on coil overs. I do know the track width is a little wider on the 720 than the 620. I thought I saw a post about changing over the gear box on a 620 in years past. Ive search the forums and found other stuff about power steering and some mentioning of changing over but no real swaps

Larry

• Like 1

I havn't got that far yet. Do you know If i can use the 620 suspension setup on the 720 frame. Not worried about bumpstops and such, since Im planning on coil overs. I do know the track width is a little wider on the 720 than the 620. I thought I saw a post about changing over the gear box on a 620 in years past. Ive search the forums and found other stuff about power steering and some mentioning of changing over but no real swaps

Larry

I don't see a reason to change anything on the 720 front suspension, the 620 cab will fit fine as far as I know, plus the 720 has the power steering option.

As I said before, I put my 69 521 on a 1982 datsun diesel frame, it has power steering, power brakes, a 5 speed transmission, it doesn't at the moment have vented rotors, but it will as soon as I find a good deal, right now it has the 620 type rotors.

I think the most important thing for you right now is if the frame you get measures out correctly for the wheel base, otherwise you will have to mod something, cab, box, or the frame, and the 720 frame doesn't mod well e-brake wise, I just make my 521 kingcabs the proper length for a stock 720 kingcab frame, and then use the 720 e-brake system.

You might be able to use a short frame, depending what 620 cab you are using, kingcab or reg. cab?

I far as I know, the other guys that used the 620 kingcab frame for their 521 kingcabs, extended their 521 cab 10 inches, while I used the 720 kingcab frame and extended my cab 14 inches, the longest 521 extention so far I beleave.

It would be the easiest to lengthen or shorten the box, cabs and late 620 and 720 frames are a bitch e-brake wise, basicly you have to make you own e-brake system if you mess with the frame.

I lengthened my 720 frame 16 inches so I could have a kingcab/longbox truck, the e-brake sucks now.

• Like 1