Hood spring? or...

heartland

Hi all. Newb 720 owner. I have a couple of issues but one that is bugging the crap out of me. When I go to pull the hood release lever, it releases but the hood does not bounce up. So when I let go of the lever, it locks it in place again.

Right now, I use a bungee cord to wrap around the hood release pull the the steering wheel. I need to fix this but am unsure of what I am missing. There is actually a spring next to the hood latch, but what is it that actually forces the hood to rise above the latch when I pull the lever?

Yeah, I am new to this and a girl, so don't be to harsh.

Just tell me what part I need to fix. Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem on 2 of my 620s. In fact, I use the same bungee cord solution. The problem is aligment between the catch on the core support and the parts on the hood. Some adjustment is possible, sometimes it just needs to be cleaned and lubricated, but a lot of times the hood or core support is bent just enough that it'll never align and there's too much drag on the catch for the spring to overcome.

I have that issue too, but my hood got put back on miss aligned and it catches the cowl. Instead of fixing it I just pull the hood release cable and barely pull up on the side of the hood and all is well. Never enough time to do it right, but always time to do it wrong.

my 510 and 520 both had this issue, i added some wheel bearing grease to the catch and insert than i open and closed it a bunch of times and sure enuf it opens like butter now, but your problem might be an adjustment issue so i say put some heavier lube stuff on it and find out how much your alignment is off . 3-n-1 and wd40 are a little to light for the situation.

also you might need to re stretch your spring or get a new one there should be a flat head adjustment thingy in the middle of the spring if you turn that out enuf it should drop the spring and you will be able to do whats needed

Just got hood pins on eBay for 6 bucks. Take the 2 bump stops out and mount the pin there. Then dab some grease on top of the pin and close the hood and drill out where the grease is. Mount the dress plate and there you have it. 6 bucks ans it fixes that whole hood issue. Just take the whole hood locking mechanism.

Mine did this too, was just bad alignment of the catch and pin. Both are adjustable, so play with them til you can latch it by just pushing down and not slamming it

2eDeYe' timestamp='1334780144' post='672705']

Pins....? :sick:

I'm with you Steve. Poking holes in a good Datsun just seems wrong somehow. My '70 Dart 340 had factory hood pins and they were a pain in the ass to use. They were heavily chrome plated unlike the cheap knock offs. I still didn't like them.