1982 200sx universal joint... any interchanges?

need to replace the u joints (vehicle undrivable they are so bad) but cant seem to find what I want :( I found the rockford 430-10's but I was hoping to complete my rockauto order and they dont carry! *crys* I know they are staked but there has to be one that would fit from a 280zx or 510 or something (have dremmel willling to mod), looking high and low for parts nubers but seem to be going in circles. figured I cant be the only one to run into this?!? any advice would be great, kinda on a shoestring budget... tried looking up for cars that the 430-10's says it will fit but they are all different part numbers? going to cry or pull all my hair out

thanks in advance

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the 200SX uses a common U-joint, but they are non-replaceable. Nissan says to change the whole driveshaft unit.

they say to but no longer offer replacements... cant find one used and if I did same trouble a few miles down the road :( so by chance do you know which of the u joints *might* fit once I make them replaceable :) narrowed it down to the 2 closest part numbers 393 & 391 so in short, and no I wont kill if some one happens to be incorrect, would a 393 or 391 u joint fit in my drive line if I made it a servicable one? if so... which one? (looking at cap diameter and width, wish I could find my micrometer) thank you so much for your answers thus far :)

well never mind my above comment... found my micrometer and the 391 is .1 off in cap size and .2 off in over all length... soooo... looks like I try to mod one of my 720 drivelines to fit as thats all I have laying arround :(( any one have any experiance with such? tips and pointers perhapse? :)

wow mike your amasing, those would have fit dead on!! exact size, I so wish my line wouldnt have broke at the knuckle now :( (didnt know till it was out, thought I'd just broke the u joint) o well, fount my slipyoke on the truck has same spline count and diameter (stupidly started another thread since its gone off the ujoint topic) but the little bugger is 3/4 of an inch shorter than the origional, I havent delt much with driveline slip yoke interchanges, always had the right yoke for the trans, never had to substitute... is this goign to screw the trans up? should I keep hunting for correct length/ swap tail/ get an eliminator? the most I have done to drivelines in the past is swap, grease, change joints.. never had to build one out of missmatched parts. I live way up in the sticks, almost to canada kind of sticks wish I could just get to a driveline shop and end my sorrows

• Like 1

well crap, glad I asked instead of just trying it... looks like I'm screwed then. I'll post in the parts wanted section and pray some one has one I can afford since there isnt a driveline shop for over 200 miles and I have no transportation. thank you all so much for the insight and wisdom.

http://www.transolution.biz/services.asp?service=860

http://www.whalentire.com/

http://www.commercialmachineservicesmt.com/Machining_and_Welding_Kalispell_MT.html

^^Not anywhere near you?

I got my driveshaft in my 210 serviced (Ujoints and balance) for just under $100

Search around for a longer driveshaft spline. These are both from trucks and both worked even the short one so 3/4" shouldn't hurt to try. Yes, a proper length would be ideal but if the tiny clutch disc spline can handle it, a driveshaft spline should have no problem.

Copyof00270010.jpg

^^Not anywhere near you?

I got my driveshaft in my 210 serviced (Ujoints and balance) for just under $100

I can tell you have never driven through Montana .. :lol:

When a guy from Montana says it`s a long ass ways away , they aint bullshittin.

lol, soo true! kalispell would be my best bet but getting there... 2 hrs away and broken rides :( put an iso for driveline parts in the wanted section. wish people liked to barter more! got tones of 720 parts... and some cash, so if anyone might want to trade for something that would work for me or has for sale here's my wanted ad

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42690-iso-1982-200sx-drive-line-shaft-front-section-yoke-at-rwd/#entry673956

• 1 year later...

I have a front 80' 200sx z20e 5spd drive-shaft unit.

Here are some pics.

slip-yoke is not rusty and u-joints move around very freely (no dull spots).

Car it was installed in had under 60k on it(I have the gauge cluster somewhere to show this) and then sat for a bit due to electrical issues..

1368578100_zpsc6f270df.jpg

turned shaft a bit..

1368577666_zpsdc5c0a74.jpg

1368577643_zps9dea1029.jpg

1368577623_zpsf4fd9287.jpg

Messaged you with these same pics and info.

DTP

I can tell you have never driven through Montana .. :lol:

When a guy from Montana says it`s a long ass ways away , they aint bullshittin.

Absolutely!  I worked the Minuteman Program out of Great Falls.  There wasn't a day I didn't put 500 miles on my car.

• 1 year later...

I have a 1980 200SX drive shaft with same prob. Already bought a new carrier bearing from RA, am about to attempt pulling the companion flange with a steering wheel puller. Next I need to figure out how to block the drive shaft in the press to press out the carrier bearing.  

Unfortunately, while measuring I found the 3 Ujoints I already bought from Rock Auto (Neapco 10029 without any parts specs) listed are too big and appear to be for the next SX generation.  RA lists 5-6 different ujoints. Researching online I've rulled all of them as incorrect for a 1980 with the exception of two GMB parts. These I can't rule as right or wrong  because I can't find specs online and MFGR won't return my email inquiries. The local driveline guy simply wants to build another one for $400+. That's what I get for living in CA and too close to the beach, Ebay prices for local services. It sucks.

Rockford Drive Lines sells them  (part # 430-10,) but instead of Rock Auto prices $3-10, they are $36 each + shipping for a total of $122 or so.  There is onle other part number I've found that cross references with a 0.867 cap dia (both directions) and a 1.4 distance between snap rings (aka Lock-up yoke distance.) That is a Neapco ujoint #  1-0430. It may be discontinued as I cant' find anybody who stocks that part.   

Well this is out there but the S110 uses a Z22 motor and the rear end is an H-190 both are used it Nissan trucks so

37124-P3000 ... this was used in the 610 goons, late 620s and 720 2 & 4wd to mid '82

DZ, are you saying  you think the ujoint may be the same size and a good replacement for orig shaft, or are you saying whole 720 drive shaft might be a good replacement if the carrier bearing bolts up the same? I'd really prefer a serviceable driveshaft with easy to access parts. The orig ujoint for an 80 SX is anything but common. Later years are, possibly earlier, but not mine! Just my luck.