Project 610 SSS

Guest jaimesix

Carburetion set up for this L20B engine.  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Carburetion set up for this L20B engine.

• Single Sidedraught 40 Dellorto on Lynx Manifold.
    • Single Downdraught Weber 38 DGES on Canon Manifold.

Guest jaimesix

This week I have everything ready to put the car on its suspension.

Changed the steering links with new ones ( Federal Mogul brand.)

The coil overs are ready.

Here a few photos :

(*) Camber plates:

2328429_269_full.jpg

(*) Sway bar ( one inch ) vs stock sway bar:

23284290288_large.jpg

23284290289_large.jpg

(*) Strut assemblies:

23284290303_large.jpg

23284290304_large.jpg

(*) Tension rod brackets, control arms, sway bar brackets ( powder coated ), tension rod units ( adjustable ), amongst other parts:

23284290298_large.jpg

23284290299_large.jpg

(*) Strut spacers and rear springs ( Australian brand "King" ):

2328429_227_full.jpg

2328429_122_full.jpg

(*) Headers:

23284290302_large.jpg

Thinking about painting the headers before I install them. Anybody has gotten good results with any manifold paints???

Tire wise, I am going to use the same old tires, I want to see the car on the floor, lowered, before purchasing any tires.I will use the 205/60/14s in the back I had previously, for the front, my Yokos 205/55/14 will have to go, because one of these tires has a gash on the sidewall, I do not think that is repearable. Anybody knows of a good tire man that would repair that tire?? Tire has a lot of thread, I feel bummed about it.

If I can not fix it, I will have to keep the remaining one as spare, and use a spare set I have for the front, 195/60/14.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

(*) Rear sway bar is in the house too!!!

2328429_250_full.jpg

2328429_249_full.jpg

Edited by jaimesix
Forgot to add the rear sway bar....
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix

I have been putting all these parts together and it took me a while.

I will be using a 38 DGES Weber outlaw carburetor on a Canon Manifold.

Here a couple shots at the Canon manifold.

23284290222_large.jpg

23284290218_large.jpg

23284290220_large.jpg

Also got a electronic distributor, but I have to disassemble it and clean it thoroughly, it looks like it has not been moving in about 20 years!:eek:

23284290226_large.jpg

Hi.

The wheels are steel stretchies. 14X8 rear, 14X7 front. I like the look of black wheels, substance.;)

Black Minilites ( spelled right???:confused: )would be nice.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

WOW! I really dig the streeched wheels. How do you go about doing that? Is it expensive?

Guest jaimesix
WOW! I really dig the streeched wheels. How do you go about doing that? Is it expensive?

Stretched wheels are cool. I always liked that 70s racing look. Stretched wheels mean business, look tough and period correct.

Not expensive. I know a shop in Compton, that stretches wheels. They are very professional and not expensive. They use the center section of your wheel, separate it from the rim, and weld your center on a new wider rim. It is strong and looks great.

I will take some pictures, I have not mounted the tires yet. The 4 wheels are 14X8. I was using 2 7's in the front before because I did not have the compete set of 4 wheels stretched at the beginning. Now I did the remaining 2, so I have a full set of 14X8!

Cool!

Nice Cannon manifold!

Performance with a 38/38? I will wait to see it up close!

Yes, nice Canon unit. Thanks for the heads up and thanks for keeping it for me.

You will see it, that is for sure, with the 38/38 DGES.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
Damn that looks sweet! I wish i had the money to do something like that to my datsuns suspension!

Hi Tompsukka.

It does not have to get expensive. I found some parts for reasonable prices through friends and contacts.

The suspension parts could get expensive if you just walk into a shop and order the parts through them. If a shop has to install your parts, it gets more expensive too, and the quality of installation is many times terrible. So on top of paying big bucks ( big euros...:rolleyes: ) , messed up threads, overtorqued bolts and bad judgement accompany that expensive job.

Nobody will work on your our own cars the way we would do. No matter how great a mechanic is, he does not care about our cars, and like anybody else, he only cares about his car. That special care and dilligence is reserved for his car only.

The coil over parts for the front suspension are available through e/bay, or through parts stores all over. The rear uses a shorter spring.

You can join an auto body class at a school or college in the summer and install all your parts with professional tools and under the supervision of good professional instructors.

It is not difficult, and you save a ton of bucks ( euros ;) ) while you learn.

There are always simpler ways to go at lowering a car, like just cutting the springs, of grinding the spring perch off the strut, allowing it to slide, and using a clamp to keep it where ever you want it height wise. ( front McPherson.)

For the rear, cutting the springs will do.

Most mods also do not happen instantly, at least most normal persons save and buy parts , only to install them when ready and complete.

Enjoy summer, I know there are some cool Datsun gatherings in Europe in Summer. In Finland there are quite a few.

Guest jaimesix

As promissed, photos of the stretchies!:)

23284290317_large.jpg

23284290319_large.jpg

23284290320_large.jpg

Powder Coated in black. 14X8. Overall width is 9 in, but the tire section ( area between tire lips/wheel lips ) is 8 in.

My favorite kind of wheel.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

I got a small stash of grilles that I have been finding. The first photo shows the stock grille that came with the car. Second photo shows grille on a 610. Not my favorite grille, it will remain a fixture at home, at the wall in the Datsun room.

23284290257_large.jpg

23284290334_large.jpg

23284290336_large.jpg

This second one is one I purchased a while ago from Australia E/Bay. I like it, I think it is my favorite.

A photo of the grille, and a photo of same grille on a 610.

23284290322_large.jpg

23284290328_large.jpg

23284290332_large.jpg

Third grille is one I recently purchased from E/bay US. It is in good condition. My second best choice. Needs some thorough cleaning and re finishing. The trim on the corner is broken, I will have to repair that trim by finding another trim or carefully sodering it in place. Photos if said grille and 610 sporting this grille.

23284290316_large.jpg

23284290311_large.jpg

23284290089_large.jpg

23284290015_large.jpg

23284290337_large.jpg

Jaime________________________________________________________

Edited by jaimesix
Missed a few photos.
Guest jaimesix
So, which grille are you running? The coupe or the sedan grille??

Zerow.

I will use the sedan grille. It is in excellent shape. I like it a lot too, I think it has become my favorite grille.

The coupe grille needs some work. I have to fix the trim and re-finish it. Not something I am going to do any time soon.

What do you think of my wheels?? Do you like them? I know that is not your particular style, but the paint came out very nice.

Not many datsun 610 fans around, hard to get some insight.

I have almost all the tools that could be needed and if i cant do something myself my dad is there to help. I will never take my car to any shops :D

I will surely be going to the gatherings. Too bad i have to do it with my sunny (sentra;))

Those wheels are sick too! I was also thinking about widening the original steels rims of my datsun.

Ive always liked widened steelies! And black with orange...Mmmmm:cool:

Guest jaimesix
I have almost all the tools that could be needed and if i cant do something myself my dad is there to help. I will never take my car to any shops :D

I will surely be going to the gatherings. Too bad i have to do it with my sunny (sentra;))

Those wheels are sick too! I was also thinking about widening the original steels rims of my datsun.

Ive always liked widened steelies! And black with orange...Mmmmm:cool:

Cool to know. You will attend some gathering in your Sentra, that is ok, it is a nice car.

Your Datsun is under repairs right?

Make sure to post some photos whenever posible. Also take phots at the local Datsun meets.:) You can get your original steel wheel widened too. I had my B210 wheels widened and those looked great!

great work jamie! i love the wheels, i wonder if something like that could be done to my snowflake wheels. i cant wait to see your car all together.

Thanks.

Your Snowflake wheels are steel? Even if not, many wheels can get widened. Soon I will have the car together. Tomorrow I am going to work on it, I am installing the front suspension and steering links. I will take some photos.

BTW, how is your Datsun doing?

Zerow.

I will use the sedan grille. It is in excellent shape. I like it a lot too, I think it has become my favorite grille.

The coupe grille needs some work. I have to fix the trim and re-finish it. Not something I am going to do any time soon.

What do you think of my wheels?? Do you like them? I know that is not your particular style, but the paint came out very nice.

Not many datsun 610 fans around, hard to get some insight.

The rims are clean Jaime, no doubt.

I like something a little less maintanence, hence alloys. Painted wheels need a little more careful upkeep, you cannot just spray any ol' stuff on them to knock off the brake dust/grime. plain and simple soap and water, and some elbow grease. As for the stretch, I'm not a big fan of the stretch in general, but I will say this: It does look nice. Just be sure to get good tires and a tire shop that will be gentle with the rims, so as to not scratch the paint.

Guest jaimesix
The rims are clean Jaime, no doubt.

I like something a little less maintanence, hence alloys. Painted wheels need a little more careful upkeep, you cannot just spray any ol' stuff on them to knock off the brake dust/grime. plain and simple soap and water, and some elbow grease. As for the stretch, I'm not a big fan of the stretch in general, but I will say this: It does look nice. Just be sure to get good tires and a tire shop that will be gentle with the rims, so as to not scratch the paint.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I love black wheels. I think it adds an element of compactness.

About cleaning, you might be surprised about how easy it is to keep black wheels clean. Simple water and car soap ( never use dish washing soap, I destroyed my father's wagon paint when I was a teen ager...I used to wash it with dish detergent...:( ) takes the grim away and makes them look nice.

Any dark stains that might make any allow wheels look stained do not show on black wheels.

I love alloy wheels too, I like both styles. My 710 has a set of cool wheels I got from that guy that used to own a 610, BTW, what ever happened to that guy??? He went to JCCS 08.

Yes, I will make sure I go to a tire shop that has the equipment to deal with new wheels, a tire cave man would rip the paint and mess up the finish....stay away from the tire cave man!

Jaime.___________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
Eastwood hi-temp paint. They might recommend baking it, though myself and others find it works very well sans bake.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=394&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=394

Thanks Athoose. I will check it out. I remember having an Eastwood catalog at some point. I will try find it in the net.

So it held pretty well?? Cool. I am going to paint the headers for the 610 and the stock exhaust manifold for my 710. I will post photos.

Oh more importantly, sweet ride. Can't wait to see these parts on.

Thanks. It is going to come out nice. Thsi week I will work on it and have the suspension done, tires mounted, closing in on its maiden ride!

Jaime._____________________________________________________

So it held pretty well?? Cool. I am going to paint the headers for the 610 and the stock exhaust manifold for my 710. I will post photos.

It holds up, unlike anything I've seen in a rattle can. I had a set of rusted headers for a 66 fairlane that I had acid dipped and then painted. I had it for 3-4 years and it was still going strong. But I am sure if you look around you'll find other reviews. You will have to prep the header ... remove paint, degrease, etc... Prior to baking or curing on the car try to handle as little as possible as the paint is "soft". On chrome headers you can wipe them down with solvent after assembling. Keeping those pesky finger prints off that show up the first time it gets hot. With this soft paint just don't touch it prior to curing.

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

I tried some 185 / 60 / 14 tires on a spare 14X8 wheel I have. Also tried brand new 185 / "55" / 14 tires on the 14X8 wheel intended for the 610.

Here a couple photos to see. The 185 "55" is great! It has wheel lip protectors that covers the lip, so the tire does not look stretched at all, it looks like a perfect fit.

You can see that the 185 "60" is a little taller obviously, and it does not cover the wheel lip, hence looking a litle stretched. Not bad at all, I was considering using that set up initially untill I can figure out a better fit if posible ( first the car has to be on the ground to study the issue, otherwise you might get stuck with tires that can not fit under lowered suspension unless body work is done:( ) ... but these 185 / 55 / 14s are great.

I still have to try them against the car. I can rest assured I will have no lowered suspension tire/fender issues.

(*) 1st photo, 185/55/14 ( 14X8 )

23284290351_large.jpg

(*) 2nd photo, 185/60/14 ( 14X8 )

23284290350_large.jpg

(*) 3rd and 4th photos, 185 "55" and 185 "60" respectively.

23284290348_large.jpg

23284290346_large.jpg

(*) Finally, both tires side by side.

23284290353_large.jpg

What do you guys think? I like them. I would use a little more rubber in the rear, but it is hard to find good sizes in 14 in tires. 195/50s would be good complement, a tad wider and same diametre...but I only know of competition tires in that size. Fortunately, these tires are "street" tires.

Thanks "Cjr198" for the information on these tires.

Jaime._________________________________________________________-

Edited by jaimesix
Made a mistake, wheels are 14X8, not 14X10. I corrected the mistake.:)
Guest jaimesix

Hi.

I need some opinions. My engine is an L20B. I have both these set ups ( bought them a while ago ):

*1)- Weber Downdraught 38 DGES on a Canon manifold.

*2)- Dellorto 40 Sidedraught ( single ) on a Lynx crossflow manifold.

Which one , in your opinion, woud be a better choice?

Option number one???

Option number two???

Thanks.

I added a poll feature to the thread, Look at the upper end, top of page for poll form. :)

Edited by jaimesix
Added poll.