Bagged and Boosted 71 4dr 510

So i have had my car for about a year now, its been my DD but that doesnt mean its not a project right?! Up to this point i hadnt really felt the need to start a build thread, but i have a few big things that will hopefully be taking place over the next few months, so instead of clogging up the sight i figured id start a build thread.

The first thing on my list, which was supposed to arrive today, (but ups messed up) is a full air ride suspension setup.

With that i want to do a bunch of interior and truck clean up, making it a clean install!

Next is finishing the build on my old l20, and putting that back in

R1 street bike carbs will follow that

then hopefully ill boost it again (running N/A now after blowing the l20 the first time)

Theres tons of other things id like to do, but it all depends on my cash flow!

Pictures are from all various stages since ive had it

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember when that car was straight lol. I wondered what happened to it

Ya.....Not one of my proudest moments, Previous owner failed to mention that there was a brake fluid leak and you needed to top it off about every two weeks, (later found it out it was a leaky wheel cylinder) and after about 3 weeks of owning the car last spring/summer, my brakes went out on a curvy road combined with understeer and i slid straight into a guardrail... Ins would have totaled it, so i made the best of it and fixed what i could.

dude the blow threw su setup is epic got more pics of it? like how the exhaust is set up? like how its routed under the car

Ill take a look through my pics and see if i have any, that was my favorite setup ive had so far, everyone said that it wouldnt work and the SUs couldnt take boost, but it was awesome and handled 10 pounds no problem

Ya.....Not one of my proudest moments, Previous owner failed to mention that there was a brake fluid leak and you needed to top it off about every two weeks, (later found it out it was a leaky wheel cylinder) and after about 3 weeks of owning the car last spring/summer, my brakes went out on a curvy road combined with understeer and i slid straight into a guardrail... Ins would have totaled it, so i made the best of it and fixed what i could.

that sucks at least your car lived

bagging a 510.......................sounds interesting. Where did you get the bag set up from?

I actually bought it off of a guy on here, it was definately an impulse buy and i probally over paid, but we will see, he claimed to of had the setup on a 510 so hopefully it works without to much custom work

i love it

Thanks!

that sucks at least your car lived

Yup live and learn, im just glad i was able to save it! ill rebuild it after my Z is done

oh was it the air ride setup?

Yeah it was up for sale a few weeks ago, i plan on making at least two changes to it, one im going to get bags for the front instead of those canister things and two, im going to get ahold of a nice control unit, with the screen that gives you air pressures and will let you program different ride heights.

been there hit a grad rail too but it was right after i have just gotten perfect rust frees straight fenders! and was going home for a 510 bbq

careful on the shockwaves there over priced pieces of shit and have yet to have one not fail on me .....i have had three trucks on air ride tech shit all installed by me and i wont be using there over priced stuff anymore....there controls are so difficult to use ...i have taken everyone out of a car i ever put in....ever customer got tired of it and went to switches and digital guage...when it comes to air bags i found the simpler the set up the less issues that arise...as for the shockwaves i have broken the housings, bent the housings, broke a upper mount...the pieces that program ride height and remember settings are junk... there's a reason they change the control unit every two years ... they get tired of the hearing all the complaints.... just go with a dakota digital....and some nice switches...air ride tech use to sell theses lighted switches i use to use the shit out of... they looked like vw late model switches but they discontinued them... i bought out there inventory...

as for the front going to a bag only ... great idea...its tough on a strut car though... when i thought about doing my wagon front i just considered swapping to a arm style front end (521 620, 720 d21) all together and ditching the strut all together...the five ten front sub frame rails are nice and easy to adapt to and building a upper mount is fairly straight forward...plus u get the ride of a bag and not a can....those cans ride like shitake' and when u add accumulators it makes the ride almost bearable...and since your giving up handling by going air ride then there's even less reason to keep the strut...the only way i ever saw making a strut front end ride like a conventional front bag set up would be a bag remote mount and cantilever set up....run no springs ... and i fiddled and fiddled with the idea and all the ideas looked like shit....and i kept just reverting back to swapping to a upper lower set up with a spindle...shit i even just papered out a upper a arm for the stock lca set up... but the spindle was the limiting factor...

the rear of a 510 is easy... so why not make the front easy too...as for airride tech.... i like there hard parts .. .four links and front end builder kits....but the electronics end has turned into jc whitney with a bad r/d dept....people bring them the full set ups and i tell them up front the woes i have had with art electronics and say i have no problem putting them in but dont intend on swapping them back out when u hate it for free....it still gets good dough on ebay for there controls...some people still like that antiquated menu driven bull shit, me , i like hitting a switch and seeing a guage...the amount of failures i have had i dont have the faith to cruise 70 and feel confident...

nice car and it will look sick... there's a guy on here with a bagged 510 might check out his thread i never saw how he did his...

i plan on some track time in my goon so i went back to coil overs out front and a rear four link with air shock or bags and coil overs as a back up for track time... the air shocks or bags on the rear will be coupled with some sway bar r/d .....if u notice the airride cars do well at track events but the pics of their stuff tell the real footage....diving in corners massive body roll coupled with MASSIVE sway bars...but they got stroker motors and whipple chargers to make up for the lost time....besides there target market and customers are usually non car guys that just read stats and don't deal with facts...one thing to remember on the front especially is run seperate valves on each side to combat air transfer....air transfer from side to side on compression will cancel out the biggest of sway bars....most of the rear setups i have done have been solid axles and single valve assembly's have worked good....for a irs car i would probably seperate each wheel on a valve assembly as irs would probably be a little trickier...

Thats some good info, ive heard of the air transfer and right now thats one of my biggest concerns, i never thought about the fancy electronics being junk, if thats the case ill probally just end up with a nice gauge and a couple switches instead.

But the stuff showed up today so let the fun begin!

Oh and for the record, never use shredded paper as packing.... its worse then packing peanuts... and i have a big mess to clean up!

nice looks like the rear set up showed up... any pics of the controls... honestly i recomend the switch and gauge its easier and if your like me, u will be fucking with it at every light ....making people wonder how u are gonna pull away from the light draggin rocker...oops i see the front... nice cans.... why so many....those aren't accumulators in front of the struts are they... if so there pretty large maybe try them and see if u can get the ride u want...volume is your best friend when it comes to cans...

shredded paper is the worst... use your blow gun, blow it back on concrete floor of shop, sweep it up and leave bad feed back...(j/K)

compressor is nice... tank is perfect size...one other thing .. .if this is a half inch set up....go to local industrial supply store and buy airline mufflers ....in different sizes, and buy some reducers... i can use these to control the rate of decent.... like in my mazda i run a 3/8 muffler on front and a 1/4s on rear ... they drop at same time and alot slower then the up...my reasoning ... if i am driving and see a road hazard i want up as fast as possible...but when it goes down that fast u wiill break shit and ruin your back ...so most of my stuff leaves the shop raising quickly and falling even and slow enough i am not alarming pedestrians when i hit tundra...if that makes sense.. the easiest way i tell people is its easier to slow a air line down the speed it up... so buy 1/2 inch everything and i will dial in the decent with reducers and mufflers...

on more note on cans...my buddy built a civic hatch with cans....it could suck a rear wheel into three wheel(semi cool) and the right guy on the switch could drive a post into the ground or crush about any can or garbage pail u could find... but it road like a 80's mini truck...rock fucking hard...it was before accumulators

• Like 1

Sweet ill definately get ahold of you if i run into any problems! The canisters on the spindles now are shot and the other two are new ones that the seller purchased but never used.

Right now the controls consist of two toggle switches and a psi gauge, nothing fancy but i can take a picture if you want.

I believe everything right now is all quarter inch, is it worth going up to half? I agree that going down slow and up fast is the way to go, so ill probally be looking for more info on the reducers and stuff.

I wont lie, ive never installed an air ride setup and dont know much about them, except i love the idea of driving a slamable car thats not slammed for DD

its easy....to install.....toggles and and gauges are pretty easy.... weird the new cannisters are larger around then the old ones.... and cannisters are usually rebuildable by any local hydralic machinery shop... its just seals and o rings...i know its not cheap from seeing the shit and the bills that go through the machine shop next to me..1/4 is fine its just real slow....which isn't a bad thing

Since you bagging the car, you shouldnt run into any issues that we were talking about through PM. Ive contemplated going to bags as well as I had lots of friends around that drove slammed trucks... but I just havent figured out what I want to do. I might do a bit more research and see what I can piece together for a simple kit. JRock is right though... fuck all the electronics. All of my friends trucks try to be as manual as possible. Its less to fail and last we talked about it, none of them found anything that was worth the price they paid. Everyone went back to plain switches and simple gauges.

Ill be watching this thread and seeing how you do. Maybe Ill follow suit and run bags after I see where you fuck up lol.

its easy....to install.....toggles and and gauges are pretty easy.... weird the new cannisters are larger around then the old ones.... and cannisters are usually rebuildable by any local hydralic machinery shop... its just seals and o rings...i know its not cheap from seeing the shit and the bills that go through the machine shop next to me..1/4 is fine its just real slow....which isn't a bad thing

Then its decided, simple on the switches and gauges! haha and i double checked the hose its all 3/8s. If you know anyone who might put the old ones to good use let me know, i dont really have much use for them anymore, and dont really feel like rebuilding them since i want bags eventually anyway.

Since you bagging the car, you shouldnt run into any issues that we were talking about through PM. Ive contemplated going to bags as well as I had lots of friends around that drove slammed trucks... but I just havent figured out what I want to do. I might do a bit more research and see what I can piece together for a simple kit. JRock is right though... fuck all the electronics. All of my friends trucks try to be as manual as possible. Its less to fail and last we talked about it, none of them found anything that was worth the price they paid. Everyone went back to plain switches and simple gauges.

Ill be watching this thread and seeing how you do. Maybe Ill follow suit and run bags after I see where you fuck up lol.

Yeah, as i said before the bags were definately an impulse buy and i hope i dont regret it! ill be sure to post a bunch of pics as i go along, itd be sweet to see someone else bag one as well