rockin' a Datsun with Jeff

ok, had to be done...the older Datsuns drum brakes ALWAYS lock up if you don't move or drive the car for a bit. Well lucky for us, the car started with a different battery and we didn't have to try to continue rockin the Datsun to free up the brakes.

Once we got it running (this is my "65 PL 410) however, there was absolutely no brakes. I had a family of (yes, yuk) rats move in and they might have chewed thru a line, so now I have a nasty, nasty mess to clean out and check all wires and lines.

That is what happens when you live in a rural area..the critters move in very quickly, including huge nasty spiders and wasps. At least we don't have to worry about snakes up here.

I have had this car since 1976 and it has over 600,000 miles on the original tranny and engine (E1). I had the Weber put on and 411 SSS front disc brakes so I could stop all that huge amount of horsepower. I autocross raced for nearly 5 years, usually the slowest and tiniest engine, but it was really fun.

Jeff is going to weld the broken hood attachments, then it will get a test drive. Oh yea, just remembered that all the lights won't work...got to swap that part out too. Always something to fix. More updates and photos soon. Tana;)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, you know what happens when the rats move in an start drinkin' the brake fluid an' chasing the spiders ... it soon becomes a kegger. Rats gone wild!

400K more? ... better set the valves.

Ha ha just noticed the title. (won't bother knockin')

ok, I did just get a camera...pics coming soon.

I used to drive my PL 410 everywhere...to work as a daily driver, autocrossed for nearly 5 years, up to Ross's place in Canada, Oregon, so the miles just added up.

I have every receipt and every years registration until I got one of Wa. state's first collector car plates: # 2150.

Just drove my 1968 Roadster for the first time today...went to a NWDE event at a Hydro museum...let my brother who is 6'2" drive and needless to say, he was a bit squished...but really enjoyed driving it. Car ran fine. Even the spiders enjoyed the ride.

Ok, here are a couple of pics that I took of parts that I have...I bet a few of you can correctly identify the pics.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow...I will take pics of my Roadster and PL 410.

Happy Driving!

interior Roadster light_thumb.jpg

tool pouch 1_thumb.jpg

2eDeYe;6015']I think Tana needs a camera ;)

Out of 31 years owning the car' date=' if she only drove it for 10 years and put 60,000 a year on it...it's possible :P

I've put 80,000 on a car in one year before :D[/quote']

unless its a delivery truck, its hard to believe someone can put 220 miles a day on any vehicle for an entire year straight.

Daily drivers usually get 12,000 miles a year not anywhere near 60K. That's really unusual.... and harder to keep track of on a truck that only has a 5 digit odometer.

2eDeYe;6015']I think Tana needs a camera ;)

Out of 31 years owning the car' date=' if she only drove it for 10 years and put 60,000 a year on it...it's possible :P

I've put 80,000 on a car in one year before :D[/quote']

When I picked up my new Dart at noon, I went to bed with over 120 miles on it that night. A week later it went in for the 1,000 mile check with over 1,200 on it. Every week day I drove 30 miles to work another 15 to my parents for supper, 20 more to this town to hang with co workers, then back home. Thats 140 a day absolutely minimum mileage and not counting any cruisin' around. Weekend were far more. One week I spent $30 for gas! At 34 cents per gal and a 15 gal tank and getting 18 miles per gal that's almost 1600 miles that one week! I put 80,000 miles on it in a year and a half. It happens.

wow.

I daily drove my 280ZX for years and went on several Canada and Oregon trips. I would only get about 15,000 miles a year on it.

Is that counting burnouts?

My dad puts tons of miles on his turbo Saab. He lives in Wilkerson and works in seattle. He told me how many miles it is round trip and I want to say 120 or so. Thats adds up. I got my truck at 12,000 I will check back in 30 years and see what its at :D

The most I ever put on one car in a year was 30,000 in 1994. That was a 65 mile commute (130 round trip) plus weekends and a couple long day trips (North Cascades, etc). What cut it down was I was in the Military, so we would spend weeks at sea, and I didn't drive that one car exclusively. I drove well over 40,000 miles that year combining all my cars (I only had 3 runners then).

And I drive about 12 miles a day.... hell for 3 years I didnt drive at all, rode a bicycle..

I'm so jelouse!! I hate driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! traffic, stupid SUV's, cell phones... and worst of all NO SR 510!!!! at least with that rig I could do huge burnouts when I was pissed... I put a stereo in my truck that should help.

I'm so jelouse!! I hate driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! traffic, stupid SUV's, cell phones... and worst of all NO SR 510!!!! at least with that rig I could do huge burnouts when I was pissed... I put a stereo in my truck that should help.

I must have missed something... did you sell the SR510? or was it stolen? the 68 2door is a diffrent one all together right?

I must have missed something... did you sell the SR510? or was it stolen? the 68 2door is a diffrent one all together right?

Yeah the 68 is a different one, Hainz said I should get rid of some datto's because I have way to many, 6 if anyones counting and only 2 that run at the moment hehe So it took me a long time to decide which ones I should keep. The 59 is an obvious keeper (I need to get the tittle so I can get to work on that one :D ) My dream 510 was a 68 2 door so I couldn't get rid of that one. Then I need a truck and I'm just to dam tall to commute in a 521. I know because I did it for a while, it kills my arthritis. So I got a king cab, well bleach's and redeye's 620's really caught my eye. After see how much more room the driver got I was sold :D Everyone needs a parts hauler to, right? So my other 510s and 1200 have to go. I may keep the 1200 just because it aint worth much why sell a runner that I could just stash at my mom's farm. I feel bad letting 510's sit and rust, even if it makes them look sexy :D So I'm selling some so I can give the others some extra deserved loving. So I'm pulling everything off my 4 door to put on my 68 so it can be my new daily, and let me tell you I'm very excited :D :D :D It has a lot of body damage that needs fixing so its taking a while.