Clean Gas Tank?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Been through this before, and going through it again. Pulling roadster gas tank this weekend.

GAS AGE: If gas is 6 months or older, drain a gallon and inspect it. Looks good? Smells like gas? Probably okay.

GAS DISPOSAL: We have hazardous materials disposal sites in Washington (no charge). Google in your area and/or ask your local fire department. Some folks run in through a filter, then burn it in their lawn mower or outboard. I use some to clean with. Careful with those fumes, though.

GAS TANK CLEANING: Some radiator shops will still boil tanks out for you ($50-$100), and some will seal them for additional cost (up to $300), but they usually include a lifetime warranty. There's a nation-wide chain called Gas Tank RENU http://www.gastankrenu.com/ that clean and seal with a lifetime warranty. I know several roadster owners in California who have had their gas tanks done by them.

There was a '75 620 in a local yard that I had been watching. Has to have been there 5 years. Two years before I bought the box I scooped the gas cap for my truck. It sat open for at least two years. Took it home removed the tank and poured 5 gallons out and right into my truck. Ran perfectly.

I would be more worried if the tank only had a quart that evaporated and left some gummy shit.

My '74 goon was all rusty inside. I emptied it, removed the sender and dumped about a shovel full of driveway gravel into it. Rolled it around on the lawn and shook it (a lot) emptied it out and garden hosed it clean. Let sit in the sun for a day and put back together. New filter is still clean.

Oh the gas that was in it I ran into a funnel, hose and a fuel filter to clean it and reuse it.

710gastank005Large.jpg

Sediment left.

710gastank001Large.jpg

I have a five pound bag of steel buckshot that I've used on a couple of tanks in place of BB's, chains, & gravel. Get it at sporting goods store. Put it in tank with a little clean solvent and shake the hell out of it for a bit. Empty out and rinse a couple times.

After use, I rinse the shot, dry it and store for next time.