compatable seat swap

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got seats from a late 90's dodge neon/plymouth breeze.

They actually bolt right up as well and the ones I got are in super good condition...

BUT. My knees are now crammed into the steering wheel. Its difficult even getting in and out... they sit WAY too high... really makes me sad cause they had potential but the seat itself is whats so thick and I doubt if I even dropped the front mounting bolt the 1 inch I have left before resting on rail and tapped in new mounts that it would solve the problem.

I also have a body lift.... so IDK if that changed the angle that my steering wheel comes in now, I do think it should be angled up more and the way the ignition switch/headlamp/wiper assembly casing aligns with the dash leads me to believe this too.

Im now thinking of looking for a diff set of seats... which sucks cause these were already 50 bucks for the pair and in really good condition.

I got seats from a late 90's dodge neon/plymouth breeze.

They actually bolt right up as well and the ones I got are in super good condition...

BUT. My knees are now crammed into the steering wheel. Its difficult even getting in and out... they sit WAY too high... really makes me sad cause they had potential but the seat itself is whats so thick and I doubt if I even dropped the front mounting bolt the 1 inch I have left before resting on rail and tapped in new mounts that it would solve the problem.

I also have a body lift.... so IDK if that changed the angle that my steering wheel comes in now, I do think it should be angled up more and the way the ignition switch/headlamp/wiper assembly casing aligns with the dash leads me to believe this too.

Im now thinking of looking for a diff set of seats... which sucks cause these were already 50 bucks for the pair and in really good condition.

I have these seats also, they basicly bolted right in, they are comfortable, but as mentioned, they have you sitting a little higher, but I have a tilt wheel, and if I raise it before getting out, I have no issues.

I have these seats also, they basicly bolted right in, they are comfortable, but as mentioned, they have you sitting a little higher, but I have a tilt wheel, and if I raise it before getting out, I have no issues.

tilt wheel???? is this on a 720? was it an option? what year? I could go searching n steel one out of a donor car if this is available out there somewhere.

btw, sorry for the line of questions, lol

tilt wheel???? is this on a 720? was it an option? what year? I could go searching n steel one out of a donor car if this is available out there somewhere.

btw, sorry for the line of questions, lol

The 720 series had a tilt wheel option every year as far as I know, don't know how it was decided which ones had it though.

Around here about one in four 720s have a tilt wheel in the wrecking yards, but you have to keep this in mind, try to find one of the same year as your truck, as the column electronics plugs are differant after every couple years, plugs change, ect, and you will not be able to use your column electronics, as the column is a differant/bigger size, so if you have a 81 720, you will need the early tilt column accessories no later than an early 82.

You will need to buy the column from the steering box to the steering wheel mount, and everything connected to it, wiring, electronics(turn signal/headlight/wiper switch/assembly), covers, and I would grab the steering wheel if better than yours.

As I said, check the plugs for the headlight circut and wiper/horn circut, you want the same plugs, otherwise you will have to start finding the parts you need from multiple years, and put together what you need, and I am not trying to be full of myself, but you have to know what your doing/looking for to get it done, more than once I have taken two differant tilt and nontilt column switch assemblies, and made one out of the two in the yard, so I would only have to buy one.

It's best to just find one with the same plugs as your wiring harness

Awesome, thank you for all the info.

I will def attempt to find one from the years that are similar to my own, but there are hardly any of these trucks in yards in southern california(out of the 10 or so yards in my area I only know of one 85 mostly stripped and an 86st that had an interior fire and is mostly useless)..they either are still owned by folks or quickly scrapped... Really sad honestly.

But I do have the where with all to splice new connectors into the existing harness if absolutely necessary... Would suck though cause I replaced the headlight/wiper assembly switches when I bought the truck in '09 and they are still relatively new and in perfect working condition.

do you know, are the splines the same on the end for all years of steering wheels? I really like my datsun logod wheel and all the horn buttons work.

Awesome, thank you for all the info.

I will def attempt to find one from the years that are similar to my own, but there are hardly any of these trucks in yards in southern california(out of the 10 or so yards in my area I only know of one 85 mostly stripped and an 86st that had an interior fire and is mostly useless)..they either are still owned by folks or quickly scrapped... Really sad honestly.

But I do have the where with all to splice new connectors into the existing harness if absolutely necessary... Would suck though cause I replaced the headlight/wiper assembly switches when I bought the truck in '09 and they are still relatively new and in perfect working condition.

do you know, are the splines the same on the end for all years of steering wheels? I really like my datsun logod wheel and all the horn buttons work.

I suspect the steering wheel mount splines are same, I put a 1980 steering wheel on a 1966 datsun 520 column, and it fit just fine, I would be surprized if they were differant.

splines are the same for the wheels.

and yes, the connectors are different. i found this one out this week, the hard way. i have an 85 that has broken contacts for the signals, i grabbed one from an 84 and 86 since thats all i had to chose from, and both of them had different connectors, and different contacts inside the housing itself. but the turn signal connector and contacts were the only part that were different

splines are the same for the wheels.

and yes, the connectors are different. i found this one out this week, the hard way. i have an 85 that has broken contacts for the signals, i grabbed one from an 84 and 86 since thats all i had to chose from, and both of them had different connectors, and different contacts inside the housing itself. but the turn signal connector and contacts were the only part that were different

was the wire count and colors the same or at least similar?

Ok, I will try to explain the 720 column switch assembly, and how it effects me in my projects.

This is a 83+ headlight plug in the switch assembly, if you look close, you can see 8 connectors, one goes to the horn circut.

DSCN1217.jpg

DSCN1218.jpg

DSCN1223.jpg

This is a 80-82 headlight plug, it has 5 connectors, you can see a wire coming out from underneath the headlight plug, this is the horn power wire, it goes to the turn signal indicator plug.

DSCN1210.jpg

As you can see, the horn wire connector is a differant color.

DSCN1215.jpg

This is the plug without the horn wire in the 83+ switch assembly.

DSCN1216.jpg

Now you can take an earier headlight circut out of the older switch assemblies, and put it in a newer assembly, so the most important plug is the turn indicator plug, it has to be the type you have in your harness, as you can switch your headlight circut plug out of the non-tilt column switch assembly into your new tilt column assembly.

So when/if you switch the headlight circut plug in the 81 switch because you are using a newer switch assembly with the proper turn signal plug with 3 connectors, you must also transfer the horn power wire to the turn signal plug, you have to transfer the everything from the horn power post to the turn signal plug, so now it will have 4 connectors, like your original non tilt column switch assembly.

I hope this makes sense to you, as I am starting to get confused.

There is one other option, and that is the intermitant wiper circut, when that circut is ajustable, there are two extra wires coming off the top of the modified turn indicator plug circut that go to the arm itself, and this is what it looks like.

DSCN1222.jpg

DSCN1221.jpg

The kid down the road figured out a way to use this type of turn indicator plug with the wires coming off the switch assembly, he found the assemblies that didn't have the intermitant wiper ajustment option, then went out and found a 6 wire plug that matched his harness(521 heater switch plug), and wired that plug into the turn signal indicator plug wires(4 of them), and then added the horn wire into the plug in the proper slot in the plug.

I hope this makes sense to you, I wrote all this for one reason, it can give you ideas on how to make things work, that won't just plug into each other, I do all this out in the wrecking yards, that way I get what I need, and just buy one assembly.

That made perfect sense thank you! Thanks for all the great pictures. Thats awesome how portions of the assemblies are mix and match!

Its a lot better then cutting plugs off a harness and rewiring them in place of my plugs. I'm excited to go hunting for a tilt wheel now I know what I'll be doing about the switch assembly.

It would be best to just find one made in your years(80-82), as it took me a while before I totally understood exactly what i needed, and I still can't find what is needed sometimes, I am always looking for early tilt wheel turn signal assemblies, and remember this, if you don't have the tools to take off the steering wheel, you can't get the column switch assembly off, the 4 way switch is also differant, so keep your early one with your wiring harness, just ake it off your column cover, and put it on the tilt wheel column cover.

BTW, you need everything for the tilt wheel conversion, ign. switch, all covers, the steering shaft all the way to the steering gearbox.

Here is an interesting fact, all the tilt wheel hardware will bolt onto the stock 520/521 column, and it kinda looks stock, the only thing that don't work is the locking steering, even the 720 steering wheel fits.