510 Front Brake Upgrade: Wilwood 4 Piston, 280zx Rotors, 510 Struts/Hubs..PICS!

denis.drc

This is how I went about it..

First, I wanted a cheap vented rotor and 280zx rotors happen to be pretty cheap.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

I know the 280zx rotors aren't a direct fit for a 510 hub, but I had some time and felt like using some machines.

IMG_0269.jpg

Decided to make an adapter bracket out of some wheel spacers I had laying around.

IMG_0282.jpg

First drilled the spacer to have both 510 and 280zx rotor bolt patterns.

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Machine adapter down to the desired thickness and enlarge center bore to match 510 hub inner diameter.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Quick Test Fit.

IMG_0301.jpg

Mill in reliefs for inner bolt heads.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

Another Test Fit.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Time to start bolting things together.

IMG_0321.jpg

I know making adapters to use 280zx rotors is a bit much..but, like I said, I really wanted to use the new mill..

Now, time for the calipers..

IMG_0431.jpg

Design and make a bracket.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Last mock up. (I ended up using larger hardware. M12 over M10)

IMG_0448.jpg

Made some offset adapters to align the caliper.

IMG_0573.jpg

And the installed product.

8c1a0884.jpg

I converted my rear brakes to S13 discs & calipers in the rear at the same time.

(http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41996-s13-rear-disc-conversiondone-lots-of-pics/)

I also installed new wheel bearings and seals in the front. (Solid mount caliper DO NOT like worn wheels bearings...terrible pedal feel.)

So far I have about 200 miles on the set-up. Balance front to back feels great. But, I plan to upgrade the master and booster in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LoneWolf

Awesome brake upgrade!Great job. I have alot of question about this upgrade because I'm planning on doing something simlar to my 510. And thanks for posting the photos of the brake upgrade.

Awesome brake upgrade!Great job. I have alot of question about this upgrade because I'm planning on doing something simlar to my 510. And thanks for posting the photos of the brake upgrade.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm happy to share info..

I'm considering making this into a bolt-on kit.

The kit would include:

2x rotors spacer adapters

2x caliper adapters

If anyone is interested, I'll price out the parts..

This kit should clear 13" wheels, as I know people are running 13's on 280zxs. My concern is the caliper.. If anyone in Sac area has a 13" wheel they would like to try, I'm available for a test fit.

Anyone interested?

I could be persuaded, pending the compatibility with 13'' wheels.

What is the part number on those Wilwoods?

P/N: 120-5005

But they're discontinued in the "Billet" style (I had these on the shelf from a cancelled order from years ago..).

The replacement model is forged. Same exact dimensions though.

New p/n: 120-6806

BTW, I'm currently running the "Polimatrix E" compound on the street..GOOD BITE.

• 4 weeks later...

If you were to use 280ZX struts I would buy just the adapters to fit those wilwood calipers.

I'd be happy to make you a bracket. I just need a 280zx strut assembly for mock-up..

Got any buddies in Nor-Cal that want to lend me a strut assembly for a weekend?

I'd be happy to make you a bracket. I just need a 280zx strut assembly for mock-up..

Got any buddies in Nor-Cal that want to lend me a strut assembly for a weekend?

Sorry I dont.

I bet you would get a few orders if you made the bracket.

• 8 months later...
What ended up happening to the possibility of making a run of adapters etc? 

If not wanting to do so, could you give the specs of the machining for the wheel spacers? 

No one would volunteer a 280ZX upright for me to make a prototype.

I'd be happy to design a bracket! :)

Whoever let's me borrow a complete 280zx strut assembly to use for mock-up gets 50% off the price! Anyone interested? I'm in Sacramento.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm happy to share info..

hey the 1985 300zx oreilly part number 9842rgs is a direct replacement on that hub i just finish this setup using a z32 front calipers to fit 14 wheels check it out and save a lot of time

most 13s will not fit on 280zx stuff.

only the occasional special offset 13s fit and you still have to shave a hair off the calipers.

theres a reason the factory wheel is a 14in

Skib makes an excellent point. I would not assume a wheel fits unless it has been test fitted, no matter what others have found.

I know 13" steel racing wheels (Arrow, Kregger, etc..) as well as a few other makes of allow wheels, fit over 280zx brakes.

I've been able to fit a few different styles some with quite reasonable offsets.

Additionally, the use of the custom rotor adapter/spacer I made, allows the rotor (and caliper) to sit further back towards the strut housing, away from the wheel, allowing additional clearance of the wheel drop-center.

I have also not compared 280zx vs. Wilwood Dynalite vs. Z32 caliper clearance. The Wlwood Dynalite is smaller overall, the Z32 is larger.

Moral of the story is MEASURE.

• 4 weeks later...

just to clarify from my own research, 

280ZX rotors and calipers WILL fit over 13x7 American racing libres. The caliper ears need to be shaved on the corners of the caliper, but they do fit. BRE ran a custom two piece rotor with a porsche caliper under these wheels in the trans am days. I would not be surprised if the dime had an article on how to do so.. but finding a digital copy of it might prove to be a headache. 

FYI- the original american racing libres  i am referring to were 13x7 0 offset with a 4.5 in. backspace. You guys can do the math from there to dispute what fits and doesnt fit. 

• 1 month later...