new engine timing

so i just dropped my rebuilt engine with the weber and header in and when i turn it over it backfires and the timing is way off. i took the distributor out and there is only one way to put it in. so what way does the rotor need to be pointing?? im pointing at i 1 right now? should the rotor be pointing at E 1? and also what about the drive gear? it should be at 11:25 position while looking down the barrel with the smaller side of the slit facing the back of the engine. any help as to what position the rotor should be in relationship to the spindle on the crank, and what position it should be looking down the distributor barrel?

thanks in advance

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Set motor to TDC remove distributor and look in from the driver's fender it should look like this...

motordistributortiming.jpg

If you look at your rotor there are actually two tips one for the intake side #1 plug and one for the exhaust side #1 plug. Roughly intake @ 9:00 o'clock and exhaust @ 4:00 o'clock.

With 8 wires it's very easy to get two mixed up. Usually the cap has the terminals labeled so just follow all wires to their plugs.

I= intake and E=exhaust, so satarting at about 9:00 on the I 1 (intake one) and going counter clockwise the wiring is...

I1, E2, I3, E1, I4, E3, I2, E4

so i just dropped my rebuilt engine with the weber and header in and when i turn it over it backfires and the timing is way off. i took the distributor out and there is only one way to put it in. so what way does the rotor need to be pointing?? im pointing at i 1 right now? should the rotor be pointing at E 1? and also what about the drive gear? it should be at 11:25 position while looking down the barrel with the smaller side of the slit facing the back of the engine. any help as to what position the rotor should be in relationship to the spindle on the crank, and what position it should be looking down the distributor barrel?

thanks in advance

ha...i literally just did this yesterday... Got back my truck with the brand new engine dropped in... The machine shop had set the motor to tdc for me before sending the motor to the shop with the cherry picker doing it in for me... Well when I got it off the tow truck back in front of my house where I installed all the accessories including manifolds, the timing marks were no longer aligned...

That leaves me with a 50/50 chance that if I just crank it till they align that it will be on the intake stroke or the exhaust stroke.... I found that through my reading, the tooth inside the distributor shaft should actually be offset to the front of the truck... So small side to the front, not back.

Then most caps have a ridge on the outside of the I1 terminal so make surer your rotor is facing that way... About right before the bottom cap clip on the housing.

Then just retrace all the wires to make sure they are correct n fire it up.

the wires are all right. i just think i have the drive gear 180 off. im pretty sure the small side is facing the cab. in that case do i have to pull the timing cover to change it??

lol....

The manual will tell you to get a breaker bar and crank the engine by hand or use a remote starter in tiny cranks(or someone else in the cab) then fine tune it by hand.... personally... I just put it in gear and pushed the truck REALLY hard (most the time a hard ROCK in the direction I wanted to go then a soft back step so I didnt spin it back again and push again).

Really prob not the best way to do it, def not easy, but when you dont have the tools brute strength will have to suffice.

I just started up my motor an hour or so ago... gonna put up a vid in my build thread in just a moment.

the wires are all right. i just think i have the drive gear 180 off. im pretty sure the small side is facing the cab. in that case do i have to pull the timing cover to change it??

Hell no!!!!

Take the valve cover off and look at the first two cam lobes. If you are at TDC #1 cylinder on the compression stroke, the front two lobes will be pointing down at about 8 and 4 o'clock with both valves fully shut. If they are not, you may be out 180, so just bump the motor round one full turn and line up the TDC timing mark again and check the distributor setting.

alright so i dropped my oil pump to rotate the drive gear to get it to the right position and it still doesnt fire up. it willl turn over for awhile then spit gas through the carb and backfire. i tried it 180 out and it made it super bad and backfired within about 2 seconds of turning over. what else could be wrong?? i tried adjusting it one spline to the right and left it i just backfired way quicker? all my spark plug cables are labeled and in order along with the cap being labeled?? what else can i do?!

No vaccum leaks? choke and throttle plate opening correctly? Distributor on correctly (vacuum valve on the bottom of distributor housing)?

Weird that it would run choppy when 180° backwards for tdc but not at all when set right... Maybe the dizzy was in backwards (180°) as well?

wanna pull out your dizzy, take a picture of the tooth, put in the dizzy take a pic from a step back to show wiring and vacuum valve placement and one of the direction the rotor blade is facing in relation to the distributor housing (or just a vid of it all)

Hell no!!!!

Take the valve cover off and look at the first two cam lobes. If you are at TDC #1 cylinder on the compression stroke, the front two lobes will be pointing down at about 8 and 4 o'clock with both valves fully shut. If they are not, you may be out 180, so just bump the motor round one full turn and line up the TDC timing mark again and check the distributor setting.

Confirm that you are on the compression stroke first. If you are on the exhaust stroke it will look 180 out. Valves must be closed. Backfire out the carb can be wire on wrong plug or valve clearances too tight. I've worked on the Z series and it's way easy to get the wires on wrong, check again.

You're jumping all over the place by changing the oil pump position 180... now swapping wires around????? Process of elimination. Start with basics and don't assume. All the info you need is here below.

Get the motor at confirmed TDC compression on #1 by checking the #1 valves are closed and go from there.

Set motor to TDC remove distributor and look in from the driver's fender it should look like this...

motordistributortiming.jpg

If you look at your rotor there are actually two tips one for the intake side #1 plug and one for the exhaust side #1 plug. Roughly intake @ 9:00 o'clock and exhaust @ 4:00 o'clock.

With 8 wires it's very easy to get two mixed up. Usually the cap has the terminals labeled so just follow all wires to their plugs.

I= intake and E=exhaust, so satarting at about 9:00 on the I 1 (intake one) and going counter clockwise the wiring is...

I1, E2, I3, E1, I4, E3, I2, E4

Hell no!!!!

http://vimeo.com/19077890 L series

180 out???????????? just move the plug wires where 4 was now make it number 1 SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Confirm that you are on the compression stroke first. If you are on the exhaust stroke it will look 180 out. Valves must be closed. Backfire out the carb can be wire on wrong plug or valve clearances too tight. I've worked on the Z series and it's way easy to get the wires on wrong, check again.

so it was the plugs!!!!!! i was three off from where i should be. simple trial and error fixed that problem. amd on my motor, the drive gear had to be at exactly 12 o clock for the timing to line u p and be right? anybody else have to do that? well she is up and purring so thank you to all who helped. i really appericate it!!