S13 rear disc conversion..DONE! (Lots of pics!)

denis.drc

My centrebore ring on my 510 rear hub measures 68mm, according to the Brembo catalogue (http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail_Image.aspx?Code=693fc3e2-707a-4f58-8bf4-9a3591cfb850)the 257mm s13/s14 rotor is also 68mm, I should be able to mount the disc without having to mill out the centerbore on a lathe?

Also for consideration would be using a 274x22mm z31 rotor with a s13/s14 caliper? I believe it is common to use the z31 rotors with maxima calipers, why not 240sx calipers? The overall height of the z31 rotor is 35mm instead of the 50mm depth of the 240sx rotor, which is a better offset for 510s.

What I like about the idea of using a z31 274x22mm rotor as part of a upgrade package is the option of using the 4 lug rotor or the 5 lug turbo rotor if I choose to redrill my 510 hubs to 5x114.3.

Does anyone know how well a 240sx caliper that is meant for rotors that are 22mm thick will work on a rotor that is 20mm or even 26mm thick? Or how well will a 240sx caliper meant for a 257mm diameter rotor will work on a rotor that is 274mm in diameter such as a z31 rotor?

In other words, what are allowable tolerances for a typical brake caliper? Are a few millimetres critical or negligible for pairing calipers to rotors in a ratsun manner?

WOW...I haven't been on this site in quite some time. I almost forgot I own a 510....kidding, just been too busy to work on it lately. :crying:

Your link if to a FRONT S13 rotor, not rear.

The rear S13 rotors are not 22mm thick, they're closer to 10mm (non-ventilated). The 510 rear hub was ~2mm larger in diameter than the rotor bore, so I had to machine them.

You can use an S13 caliper on a 2mm thinner rotor, but likely not on a 4mm thicker one.

I don't see any problem using the rear caliper with a larger diameter rotor..especially with an increase of only 17mm. The radius on the s13/14 calipers isn't very aggressive.

It's difficult to say what a typical caliper will work with. They differ greatly. Some, such as a stock 510 front caliper don't leave much room for rotor diameter increase, others let you get away with much more. 4 piston style calipers are designed with a specific range of rotor in mind..say 300 - 330mm, and do not take well to a larger rotors, as the caliper will need to be spaced further away from the hub to clear the rotor, which may result in the pad no longer making full contact with the rotor. In such a case, you would use a caliper with an appropriate radius for the rotor you're using.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Man, I REALLY need to get working on the 510 again. BIG plans ahead. New engine, trans, brake, suspension.. The rear brakes (and entire rear suspension, except coilovers) in this thread, as well as my front coilovers, brake, etc.. (see my other build threads) will be for sale shortly..going a whole different direction. :ninja:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, thanks for answering all my questions.  

Thanks for clarifying the difference between front and rear 240sx rotors now I think I have a better understanding I believe all s13, s14 and j30 maxima rear rotors are the same.  

Here is a link- http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail_Image.aspx?Code=82a6d267-241a-4f52-8786-3d7658ec18a1

The fact that s13 and s14 rear rotors are the same except for the bolt pattern difference is great b/c I can always do a redrill of my hubs to 5x114.3 in the future.

I think I will start with trying to make a bolt on bracket similar to this one (http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_61&products_id=8).  Thank you for the idea though, I shall not discredit you :).

I really need to start to working on my 510 again instead of just working on small components (rear brakes :P), but my 510 is in barn storage since our shop just burned to the ground with my ka24de and d21 5spd in it last week.  It was a electrical fire most likely from mice chewing through the wires in the middle of the night.  Really unfortunate for my dads work tools and quads but luckily my 510 wasnt parked inside at the time. Crazy.

Yep, thanks for answering all my questions.  

Thanks for clarifying the difference between front and rear 240sx rotors now I think I have a better understanding I believe all s13, s14 and j30 maxima rear rotors are the same.  

Here is a link- http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail_Image.aspx?Code=82a6d267-241a-4f52-8786-3d7658ec18a1

The fact that s13 and s14 rear rotors are the same except for the bolt pattern difference is great b/c I can always do a redrill of my hubs to 5x114.3 in the future.

I think I will start with trying to make a bolt on bracket similar to this one (http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=60_61&products_id=8).  Thank you for the idea though, I shall not discredit you :).

I really need to start to working on my 510 again instead of just working on small components (rear brakes :P), but my 510 is in barn storage since our shop just burned to the ground with my ka24de and d21 5spd in it last week.  It was a electrical fire most likely from mice chewing through the wires in the middle of the night.  Really unfortunate for my dads work tools and quads but luckily my 510 wasnt parked inside at the time. Crazy.

BUMMER!

I hope the shop was insured. Very sorry to hear about your engine and your dad's tools.

Good luck with the brackets. The ones in your link are nice. Judging by how much CAD time I had invested in my prototype, you'll have you hands full. The offset is tricky to program. Make sure you have a VERY good prototype before you have them machined.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, I haven't been on this forum in a while...too many other projects at the moment.

thank you so much for this writeup dennis! a set of s13 rear discs/suspension just went up on sale in sri lanka and you've given me all inspiration to grab it! 

No problem. Glad you found inspiration!

I have read this a couple of times. Just want to clarify a couple of things, can you just use a 200sx rotor with the s13 caliper. Or will that affect the offset. I think the 200sx ones slide right on to the rear 510 hub. Will that be a option?

Doesn't matter for this kind of setup since you'll be welding on the bracket.

Might need to modify the bracket if you're using a different diameter rotor.

They only reason I say that, from what I read the 200sx has the same size hub as the 510. Also the 200sx rotors and 240sx rotors are pretty similar. Only major diffrence would be the hub size and thickness. As the 200sx rotor is .09mm thicker.

Sounds like it should work just fine. Let me know if you end up trying it.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...