S13 rear disc conversion..DONE! (Lots of pics!)

denis.drc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really be interested in the bolt edition of the brackets....but I was wondering would I be able to use a s13

big brake kit on the rear ?

It depends on which rotor I end up using for the conversion.

Look at the pictures on the first page and notice that I had to enlarge the hub center on the S13 rotors to get them to fit over the 510 rear hub.

If you wanted to use an S13 big brake kit, you'd have to enlarge the inner hub center on the larger rotors.

For ease of install and part acquisition, I may end up using a non-S13 rotor so people can use off the shelf parts.

I'm still trying to figure out what parts the kit will consist of.

Check back from time to time for updates.

I'm not opposed to making a couple of different offsets in the brackets, that way folks can use different rotors.

STAY TUNED!

Do you have any idea if they be able to fit under a 14" wheel?

The setup I have in the pictures (using S13 rotors and calipers) cleared 14" wheels without issues.

I doubt that will end up using rotors big enough to prevent the use of 14" wheels, so you should have no problem using 14s with the finished product.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is what I would be interested in, and this would be great for you since the whole setup could be customizable:

Caliper Brackets for 5.25 mounting tabs (Wilwoods) accepting a 12.9 rotor for the front and 11.75 for the rear. the spacing would need to be setup for a .81 width rotor. You would also need to make 8x7.0 hats for the rotors.

If you did just the brackets and hats and allow people to create there own solution this would be awesome. Many Wilwood calipers would fit this solution giving the end user options for inexpensive to expensive.

I would be the first in line to buy it.

If you are willing to make the set, I can provide you with two rotors since you already have a 5.25 Wilwood caliper. PM me if you are interested.

Here is what I would be interested in, and this would be great for you since the whole setup could be customizable:

Caliper Brackets for 5.25 mounting tabs (Wilwoods) accepting a 12.9 rotor for the front and 11.75 for the rear. the spacing would need to be setup for a .81 width rotor. You would also need to make 8x7.0 hats for the rotors.

If you did just the brackets and hats and allow people to create there own solution this would be awesome. Many Wilwood calipers would fit this solution giving the end user options for inexpensive to expensive.

I would be the first in line to buy it.

If you are willing to make the set, I can provide you with two rotors since you already have a 5.25 Wilwood caliper. PM me if you are interested.

dennis,

You read my mind, I'm already working on this type of setup. Just have one question for you..

Which 12.9" rotors are you talking about? I would likely need to borrow yours for a mock-up.

PM inbound.

Bolt on bracket for an s13 caliper with an off the shelf rotor.

You can definitely count me in for a pair! :thumbup:

NICE! I'll add you to the list.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately, I've been swamped with other work.

I'll get back on this project ASAP!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in for a set of weld on or bolt-on brackets depending on the outcome and parts sourcing options.

I've been wanting to do a conversion for a while. Needs to clear 14" panasports and retain parking brake.

They will clear 14" Panasports. I'm working on installing my parking brake cables and will post pics as soon as they're in. (I'm using an S14 parking brake handle, but an S13 should be the same..) First thing on my list as soon as I get a break from work.

Guys, work related fab/machine projects are killing my free time lately.

I haven't even had a chance to drive the 510 in over 3 weeks!!! :crying:

Trust that I have not forgotten about you guys!

I know how you feel, i havent drove my datsun for 8 months :(, im also interested in getting brackets! Time to say by bye to stock rear brakes.

I know how you feel, i havent drove my datsun for 8 months :(, im also interested in getting brackets! Time to say by bye to stock rear brakes.

I have yet to drive my datsun. The wiring is just killing me. not to mention still gotta run brakes lines and fuel lines...

Dennis i live in south lake tahoe, and i head down that way pretty regular basis, i have a xtra goon rear end i could let you use..to make a goon bracket ?

That would be awesome!

I'm just about to FINALLY get some free time. I'll shoot you a PM when my garage is clean enough to drop off the rear diff.

Sounds good, thurs. and fri. Are my days off work, so maybe next week, if u get the space!

Cool. Let's chat towards the end of next week.

You planning to drive the good down here?

I'd like to take some pics of the rear fender wells to get an idea of where the calipers should go to clear the body and leave room for e-brake cables.

• 5 months later...

My centrebore ring on my 510 rear hub measures 68mm, according to the Brembo catalogue (http://bremboaftermarket.com/en/Car_Disc_Catalogue/Catalogue_Detail_Image.aspx?Code=693fc3e2-707a-4f58-8bf4-9a3591cfb850)the 257mm s13/s14 rotor is also 68mm, I should be able to mount the disc without having to mill out the centerbore on a lathe?

Also for consideration would be using a 274x22mm z31 rotor with a s13/s14 caliper? I believe it is common to use the z31 rotors with maxima calipers, why not 240sx calipers? The overall height of the z31 rotor is 35mm instead of the 50mm depth of the 240sx rotor, which is a better offset for 510s.

What I like about the idea of using a z31 274x22mm rotor as part of a upgrade package is the option of using the 4 lug rotor or the 5 lug turbo rotor if I choose to redrill my 510 hubs to 5x114.3.

Does anyone know how well a 240sx caliper that is meant for rotors that are 22mm thick will work on a rotor that is 20mm or even 26mm thick? Or how well will a 240sx caliper meant for a 257mm diameter rotor will work on a rotor that is 274mm in diameter such as a z31 rotor?

In other words, what are allowable tolerances for a typical brake caliper? Are a few millimetres critical or negligible for pairing calipers to rotors in a ratsun manner?