S13 rear disc conversion..DONE! (Lots of pics!)

denis.drc

I haven't posted much to this point, but I have some time now and want to share..

I did this converison about a month ago, works great so far!

I ended up welding on the brackets due to the crazy amount of offset needed to make things fit. This could have been avoided by using a different offset rotor, but I had these laying around and replacement parts are VERY available..

The reason for the unusual caliper position is due to my desired e-brake cable routing.

The original hard lines weren't long enough (or good looking enough) to work, so I bent up some new ones. No pics of them, but you guys get what I'm saying.

I'll add e-brake cables and an s13/14 brake handle in the next few months. Stay tuned!

Keep in mind I intended to use these with rear coilovers (See below) and S13 e-brake cables. That's the whole reason for the 1 o'clock caliper position.

I have the templated for these. I'm willing to sell these brackets if I get enough interest to make a production run.

Ill leave more info on part availability once I have the e-brake cables installed and confirm proper e-brake operation.

First things first..gotta lose the stock stuff..

photo13.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo43.jpg

photo32.jpg

The S13 goods:

photo33.jpg

The inner hub diameter of the s13 rotors is a hair smaller than the 510 hubs. On the lathe they go for a re-size..

photo42.jpg

Time to measure up a bracket:

photo2-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

Brackets made, time to test fit:

photo14-1.jpg

8b60032b.jpg

18bfbcd7.jpg

Fitment = GOOD. Time to weld these bad boys on..:

(Sorry pics are blury, but trust me the welds are solid. Penetration is niiiiice..

1a54a2c4.jpg

photo24.jpg

Now time to bolt it all together:

e4dd4d9e.jpg

651ff8d9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this work on a wagon as well?

I don't think so since you have a live axle back there. The dimensions would be significantly different.

I can make you brackets to make it work on a live axle. I would just need a donor car, or at least an axle assembly.

Theoretically, it would be an easier job (less fab and welding) on a live axle..

love them!! would you sell a pair? :D

Sure, I have the templates. Just need enough interest to make a production run..

I'll take more pics of them when I have the e-brake cables installed.

That way you guys can all see how things are routed and know exactly what you're dealing with.

I would be interested in a set depending on price. Ive been thinking about rear disks but havent got a full plan of action yet. This might steer me in the S13 direction. Seems like everyone is doing brake How-Tos lately.

I'll keep you posted.

Price would likely be around $100, depending on how many I have made.

id probly be interested in a pair, i see your in davis so i can probly pick em up.

BUT cant you make some bolt on ones??

I was considering making a bolt on unit, but the offset of the rotor & caliper bracket is a bit extreme for a simple bracket.

If there is enough interest, I'll make one.

Anyone have a spare rear control arm they no longer need?

How is the braking with these rear brakes? What are you running up front? I'm not too familiar with 240SX brakes... but I understand 510s use brake sizes as brake proportioning (instead of a proportioning valve) so if you have rear brakes that are better than front brakes, your brake bias will be pretty biased towards the rear which can be a bad thing.

I'm getting ready to go to rear disc brakes.. just trying to figure out WHAT I want to go with... I need something that works well with the 280ZX brakes up front lol

How is the braking with these rear brakes? What are you running up front? I'm not too familiar with 240SX brakes... but I understand 510s use brake sizes as brake proportioning (instead of a proportioning valve) so if you have rear brakes that are better than front brakes, your brake bias will be pretty biased towards the rear which can be a bad thing.

I'm getting ready to go to rear disc brakes.. just trying to figure out WHAT I want to go with... I need something that works well with the 280ZX brakes up front lol

Running front Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers on 280zx rotors (on stock 510 struts/spindles, more on that later..) with street compound pads in the rear and somewhat aggressive "street/track" pads in the front..

Bias feels pretty solid. No nosense coming from the rear..

8c1a0884.jpg

id probly be interested in a pair, i see your in davis so i can probly pick em up.

BUT cant you make some bolt on ones??

There are a ton of different bracket setups for the rear of the Z's... and some of their offsets are pretty large, especially with the s13 calipers. The kit I'm using to adapt to 2 caliper rears uses maxima calipers and a 300zx rotor and the offset is much less, so a bolt on would be easier. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if you found the right combination.

With almost any disc swap, a proportioning valve added is a good idea, as they aren't crazy expensive and you can tune bias really quickly and easily. Finding good pad compounds is a bit more work.

There are a ton of different bracket setups for the rear of the Z's... and some of their offsets are pretty large, especially with the s13 calipers. The kit I'm using to adapt to 2 caliper rears uses maxima calipers and a 300zx rotor and the offset is much less, so a bolt on would be easier. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if you found the right combination.

With almost any disc swap, a proportioning valve added is a good idea, as they aren't crazy expensive and you can tune bias really quickly and easily. Finding good pad compounds is a bit more work.

Indeed sir...

I'm going to do some research to see what rotors are readily available, have a different offset and most inportantly "easy on the wallet".

Once I find a good rotor, I'll work on a bolt-on bracket. The cost may increase since they will more than likely be CNC aluminum unit over waterjet steel.

Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

why not make brackets that use 280zx rotors or something that wont have to be modified to work? the only thing that makes me hesitate on getting these is having to modify the rotors.

I made mine that way because I had the parts laying around.

I'm already in the process of designing a bolt-on bracket to use S13 calipers with a different rotor. Stay tuned!

Here is a sneak peek at the bracket. (Note: it will look quite a bit different when done..this was one my first ideas, it has since evolved a few times, but I don't want to show off the final idea quite yet.. :ninja: This pic is just to let you guys know I haven't forgotten about the project.. )

bracketsneekpeak2.jpg

I understand 510s use brake sizes as brake proportioning (instead of a proportioning valve) so if you have rear brakes that are better than front brakes, your brake bias will be pretty biased towards the rear which can be a bad thing.

FWIW, they are heavily rear-biased from the factory. That's one of the reason 280ZX brakes make the car much more fun to drive, helps balance it out.

Why not 280ZX rears? ;)

Sorry for the minor threadjack. ^_^

Yeah I'm really interested in this as well. S13 parts are cheap and easy to find at any parts store, just waiting for the wagon edition to the brackets and I'm in

I don't have measurements for a wagon yet. Anyone want to volunteer their wagon for prototyping? I'm in Sac area..

I really just need an axle assembly not the whole car..