LCA Bushing removal - mklotz70

mklotz70

I collected some pics while removing the bushings in my frame clip while I was working on the Z'd lower control arms. Rather than clutter up that thread with non-LCA build stuff, I thought I'd create a thread.

Redeye built a portable hydraulic press to do this which was awesome. Maybe he'll see this and post a link to it. I had the option to build that, but figured that had been done. I thought I'd present another option. I'm just glad I didn't have to do this under a rig!! It was a PITA as it was!

So...this clip has been out in the rain for years. The pivot bolt was just laying on the frame for most of that time, but for some brilliant reason, I put it in the bushing one day and there it stayed. I had already cut the other one years ago, but never got around to drilling it out. I did actually get the bolt out, but damaged the inner metal tube in the process. More saw work and less hammering with the chisel and punch would have helped keep the tube in good shape. I think the LCA bushings are still available. If so, you might just want to replace them if you get a bolt stuck in one of them.

This may not be the best way to remove them, but it could be done with a drill, hacksaw and hammer. I'm just glad I could use the air body saw!!! Here's the gist of it.....drill a ton of holes through the rubber until you can punch it out with the hammer. Then use the saw to cut the outer sleeve. That relieves the tension from the press fit and it should tap out pretty easily at that point. The last pic is the flap drum I used to clean up the inside of the bore so I could make an aluminum bushing for testing(pics in the Z'd thread)

I'll include the pics of taking the first bolt out. After that, I cut the end off the other bolt and just started drilling the rubber.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first one...bolt cutoff and rusted in place years ago. I tried to drill this bolt out. Once I got the seam opened up, I sprayed it with AeroKroil and it sat over night. The next day, the bolt came out when I tapped it with a hammer/punch.....but the damage I left behind on the inner bushing sleeve wasn't good. I drilled the rubber, then I took a piece of thin wall tubing that fit right in between the inner and outer metal sleeves of the bushing....basicall, it landed right on the rubber. So, I hit the end on the grinder to sharpen it up. I then used it like a giant hole punch and hammered it down into the rubber with lots of WD40. I did eventually get it cut, but I decided I just didn't like that method. The rubber and inner sleeve was stuck in the end of the tube. Both ends were destroyed by the hammering. I then cut the outer sleeve with the body saw. As you can see, the bent up part is because I didn't get the cut all the way through and the sleeve didn't want to budge. Once I put another cut in that was completely through, the sleeve tapped out easily.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

On the 2nd one, I did a ton more drilling....even got the body saw in there for a bit. The rubber finally was weakened enough that I used a punch and hammer to knock the bolt and inner sleeve out. I used a lot of WD40 to lube the drill too! Holy cow did that drill bit get hot!!! This time, I made a point to get the cut all the way through the outer sleeve! It tapped right out. :) Anyway....neither way is easy.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Keep in mind that you will most likely be trying to remove a stuck bolt so that you can get the arms off. Not many options. You'll have to find new bolts first. Then, hackswa/sawzall the bolt between the arm and the crossmember. That should get you to the point you can drill the rubber. Seriously, I've never actually seen a bad LCA bushing....bit soft yes, but never a failed one that had to be replaced. I needed these bushings out for another project down the road, so now was as good a time as any to do it. :)

• Like 1

Control Arm Bushing - Lower - Front Susp

Back to Results

bluepixel.gif

1211687.jpg

Top Part: MRC 12331 Product Line: Master Ride Chassis

List Price

Your Cost

Unit :

:

: 15.73

Each

Qty Available: 0 findit.jpg

Qty cart.gif Features & Benefits Designed To Match Original Equipment Fit, Form & Function. Attributes Dimension A O.D. : 1.42"

Dimension B I.D. : .71"

Dimension C Length : 2.68"

Dimension D Length : 2.52"

Dimension E Length : .08"

ask and ye shall receive--this is off the napa prolink site

Redeye built a portable hydraulic press to do this which was awesome. Maybe he'll see this and post a link to it. I had the option to build that, but figured that had been done. I thought I'd present another option. I'm just glad I didn't have to do this under a rig!! It was a PITA as it was!

Here is a pic of the portable press, not sure where the build thread went at the moment :lol:

Picture002.jpg

It works well for this type of thing. I do sometime use some larger drill bits to drill out the occasional bushing. I'll get a pic later and post those up. :)