They call it NASCAR...

I learned to use a stud welder along with a slide hammer to get the metal more straight. This allowed me to pull dents which I couldn't reach before, and it allowed me to get rid of some of the high spots I had. The bodyman did a real good job explaining the cause and effects of dents, and metal stretching and crowns, and a bunch of other stuff which I forgot already. It really was information overload. Started to pull a big dent on the bottom rocker panel, just in front of the rear wheel. Realized the thing was rusted to hell, and it should be replaced. I bent up some small pieces of sheet metal that closely resembles the rocker panel. The bodyman is getting them bent up at his work. I will take a picture of that when I get it. So know that I need to cut out some metal and weld it back in, I have to learn to weld...

These are my welds after about an hour of practice.

PA070092.jpg

PA070091.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the courage to try it out on the car.

PA070080.jpg

PA070081.jpg

I filled the fender holes and the holes along the rocker panel. I think I did a decent job. Had to chase a couple of the holes cuz I burned through. I had to let the area cool, then I re-welded the hole. After grinding it down and wire wheeling the area, I think they look okay. Proud of myself being a newbie welder. 

• Like 2

Fucking Jake couldn't have me paint the engine bay tan. Nope he wanted jeep green wtf. Nothing better then Banboo Tan

Cool, I look forward to seeing this car come alive again.

We picked this car up in Eugene Or. your bound to find rust.

What became of the Libras ?

Stop sanding and chemical strip the paint. It is factory paint and will fall off with stripper. It would take less then a day to strip the complete car.

Swap meet Sat 12 you should go

Planning on painting it Bamboo Tan, with a clear coat though. Thinking of making it a little different and painting the window trim black. Rust so far hasn't been too bad, mainly just surface stuff. This rocker has been the worst, but even then, was only about a 2"x4" patch. I replaced more because it had been dented and I covered two holes in the process. 

Painting solid colors base / clear, take away from the true color, also cost twice as much.

I like solids colors in single stage.

Are you going to pull the engine and repaint the bay?

I think that expanding foam helped alot, did you cut it out of the trunk

You going to the swap meet?

I haven't priced out paint/clear, so I will have to look at that when the time comes. I am hoping to have it done and painted within the next month. After its painted, I may start looking for a L20b thats in decent shape. If I do an engine swap, I will repaint the bay at that time. If I can't find an engine, I will keep it green. 

I will try to make the swap meet. It will be cool to see the other Datsuns, and to grab some ideas, or even some parts, and to meet some members of the forum. 

I think that expanding foam helped alot, did you cut it out of the trunk

Do you mean this helped prevent the rust, or that it made the rust worse? I have some of the 3m expanding foam (the two part tubes) that I was planning on using on the trunk lid and hood to give it more support. I was NOT planning on putting it back in the trunk area. 

PA070083.jpg

Banged out most of the dents in the rear quarter. I watched as the metal was "shrunk" using the stud welder. Pretty neat. I don't know if I could duplicate the process.

PA090002.jpg

Cut out a rusted piece of the rocker panel. I made a newb mistake and cut the wrong side of a tape line. Thats why there is a line in the middle. 

PA130003.jpg

Almost finished picture. I filled in some pinholes and cut the bottom flush. 

e9e4e991-03bf-47eb-9d5b-8edf8d139204.jpg

Worked really hard to straighten out this corner. A small section tore through when hit with the hammer. So, I cut it out and made a patch.

PA140009.jpg

It was hard wedging the piece in. I made the outside flange and inside flange, and getting it into place was work. My plug welds (don't know if its the proper term) are getting more consistent. I think 2 of 3 is pretty good. 

After I finished welding in the patch, I trimmed and cleaned it up. 

Then wire wheeled the side in prep for epoxy primer. Used an oil/grease cleaner solvent and learned to prime. Kind of messed up two spots, but it will soon be covered with a thin coat of bondo, so no big deal. 

PA170013.jpg

As NASCAR sits now. This weekend I will start on the other side. 

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced some rocker panel on the left side. It was pretty rusty on the inside. Cleaned it up and sprayed on some weld proof primer stuff. 

PA210007.jpg

That fell out after I cut a section out.

PA210010.jpg

I bought a flanging tool, and used it for the first time. I did a better job cutting the pieces to fit, as I didn't have the huge gaps I did on the other side. 

• 2 months later...

Fixed some body line issues that I had with the left door and right rear quarter. After it was all blocked and finished, sprayed with some dark gray primer my friend had.

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Looking at the car while the primer was wet, I was really happy with my work. It looked straight to me, and thats all that matters. I felt pretty good spraying the primer, and didn't have the splotchy spots and uneven lines like the first time I sprayed. I know color is supposed to be harder to spray, so hopefully I don't mess that up. 

The car will sit in this primer for about a month while I go on vacation. Before I leave, I will drop in a new battery box I made. Will snap some pics before and after I drop it in. 

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

IMG_1370.jpg

This is what it looked like after final sanding. Body looked pretty straight, and I fixed some minor things. 

IMG_1372.jpg

Put flexible foam and seam sealed the sides.

IMG_1371.jpg

Dropped in a battery box, seam sealed also. As you can see, I also put a rubberized coating in the trunk. 

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

Paint came out a little lighter than I would have liked. For my first time painting, I think I did a pretty good job. There is a small run and a few pinholes. Also got some dirt/fluff in the paint. I am working on wet sanding now, and hopefully will be done in a few days. My camera died with some pictures on it, so all I had where these that I took with my phone.

• Like 3