Fan shroud w/a Body lift?

poopypants720

I purchased my truck with an already installed body lift... but I noticed when I pulled a fan shroud off another junker a couple years ago that it no longer aligned with my fan since the radiator is mounted to the body, not the frame like the engine.

I think this led to some cooling issues cause there wasnt enough of a direct current getting sucked across the radiator.

So now the question is....

What have you guys done to remedy the issue, if anything... and do you guys think Id be better off just going over to an electric fan which should free up some extra strain on the engine as well as e great at getting a direct current drawn across the radiator. What electric fans have you guys used with any success? Namely ones I could pull off an existing vehicle.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you wont get a fan off another vehicle without having to make special brackets all the way around to hold it in place.

running without a shroud should be fine for cooling. i ran all summer without one, driving almost 500 miles a week with a loaded bed and trailer.

what i would do, is just get a universal electric fan, no bigger than 12", and the adjustable fan controller from summit racing. i'm fixin to buy the adjustable one to replace my current one. just cools too late, at least with the adjustable one you can control when it comes on, instead of stupid universal presets.

i spent 30 on the fan, and 30 on the controller. both the 12" fan and adjustable controller are cheaper than what i bought (go figure)

I just mounted the rad lower down on my 620 with 4" lift. This allowed the fan to remain in the middle of the rad and the upper and lower hoses and shroud were fine.

At speeds above 25-30 MPH you don't even need a moving fan as the vehicle speed pushes enough air through the rad for cooling and a shroud is not needed either. At low speeds a fan IS needed and anything that helps the fan efficiency like a shroud IS beneficial. I'm sure on the street this may not apply as not enough heat is produced to tax the rads ability to remove it but off road climbing a steep hill at low speeds certainly will.

What I did once was measure the radiator after I lowered it on the core support like mentiond already, then I took it to the radiator shop and had them add enough to the top/bottom to have it look stock, then mounted the shroud centered on the fan.

Never had an issue, and it now has a bigger radiator

• Like 1

you wont get a fan off another vehicle without having to make special brackets all the way around to hold it in place.

running without a shroud should be fine for cooling. i ran all summer without one, driving almost 500 miles a week with a loaded bed and trailer.

what i would do, is just get a universal electric fan, no bigger than 12", and the adjustable fan controller from summit racing. i'm fixin to buy the adjustable one to replace my current one. just cools too late, at least with the adjustable one you can control when it comes on, instead of stupid universal presets.

i spent 30 on the fan, and 30 on the controller. both the 12" fan and adjustable controller are cheaper than what i bought (go figure)

Got a link to this cheaper fan/controller combo??

I just mounted the rad lower down on my 620 with 4" lift. This allowed the fan to remain in the middle of the rad and the upper and lower hoses and shroud were fine.

At speeds above 25-30 MPH you don't even need a moving fan as the vehicle speed pushes enough air through the rad for cooling and a shroud is not needed either. At low speeds a fan IS needed and anything that helps the fan efficiency like a shroud IS beneficial. I'm sure on the street this may not apply as not enough heat is produced to tax the rads ability to remove it but off road climbing a steep hill at low speeds certainly will.

I utilized the search feature here and on 720 world a bit after posting this and found your posts RE: taking the lower hose sensor from a 200sx... I think thats exactly what Im going to do.

Did you ever complete the wiring for this? if so exactly how did you run it all? pics or makeshift wiring diagram?

Thanks for all the replys though fellas, I know its not a new topic but def a pertinent one.

Got a link to this cheaper fan/controller combo??

just searched 12" universal auto fan, looked for the "S" blade style.

and on summitracing.com is where i got the controllers. they range from ten bucks up to over 200