High ZDDP motor oil?

Just curious if anyone has taken the time to compile a list of 'GOOD' high Zinc (ZDDP) oils. I've been researching and want opinions on what you guys have found.

AZ currently has Valvoline VR1 on sale for $3 per quart, but I'm looking for input before I stock up on it.

I've also found that Quaker State sells their 'Defy' line that advertises high zinc content for about $5 per quart.

I've found that most ZDDP additives cost MORE then what it would cost to use a high zinc oil.

IMAG1273.jpg

IMAG1280.jpg

IMAG1281.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saying higher Zinc levels isn't enough. Has to be an amount or %. Just look at shit that is supposed to be "Low Fat".

Amsol is supposed to be good.

All diesel oils are high but the problem is that diesel oils are super high detergent and will clean you engine tooooo much.

Just saying higher Zinc levels isn't enough. Has to be an amount or %. Just look at shit that is supposed to be "Low Fat".

Amsol is supposed to be good.

All diesel oils are high but the problem is that diesel oils are super high detergent and will clean you engine tooooo much.

Then get non detergent diesel oil... Its out there, my friend had to run it on his new diesel engine rebuild.

Here's the thing, there's a lot of talk about ZDDP in oils. I actually started a thread on it quite a ways back. I've been researching this for a few years, and one of the questions is why you need it.

Flat tappet cam motors DO need zinc. This is old school big V8s. I've never heard of anyone flatting an L series cam, though I'm sure someone has.

Regardless, the reason zinc went out of oils is because it causes catalytic converters to fail if too much is ingested past the rings in blow by or whatever other scenario that leads to oil going out the pipe. If your motor is brand new and tight, this shouldn't be a problem. If it's old and worn out, then yes, that's a problem. Of course, non of this matters before '82ish, when most Datsuns got cats. (I think that's about the year they started requiring them)

Is zinc-rich oil better? Sure is! Is it necessary for Datsun motors or motors built past the mid 90s? Not at all. Case in point, after three years of abuse with a high lift rally reground rally cam in the 510, my cam lobes look awesome on the L, never mind the holed piston.

I'm currently running Schaeffer's 5w40 in my D21, and it does happen to be the diesel 5w40 version with zinc. However, that's not why I chose it, I chose it because it's the only lite 40 weight they make and I don't like running 10w30 with the KA head.

Then get non detergent diesel oil... Its out there, my friend had to run it on his new diesel engine rebuild.

Did not know. Is it marked low or non detergent? or do you have an example? What make?

I have a 38 year old L18 with 24K on it. I want it to last.

Here's the thing, there's a lot of talk about ZDDP in oils. I actually started a thread on it quite a ways back. I've been researching this for a few years, and one of the questions is why you need it.

Flat tappet cam motors DO need zinc. This is old school big V8s. I've never heard of anyone flatting an L series cam, though I'm sure someone has.

Regardless, the reason zinc went out of oils is because it causes catalytic converters to fail if too much is ingested past the rings in blow by or whatever other scenario that leads to oil going out the pipe. If your motor is brand new and tight, this shouldn't be a problem. If it's old and worn out, then yes, that's a problem. Of course, non of this matters before '82ish, when most Datsuns got cats. (I think that's about the year they started requiring them)

Is zinc-rich oil better? Sure is! Is it necessary for Datsun motors or motors built past the mid 90s? Not at all. Case in point, after three years of abuse with a high lift rally reground rally cam in the 510, my cam lobes look awesome on the L, never mind the holed piston.

I'm currently running Schaeffer's 5w40 in my D21, and it does happen to be the diesel 5w40 version with zinc. However, that's not why I chose it, I chose it because it's the only lite 40 weight they make and I don't like running 10w30 with the KA head.

Your talking about a "re-ground cam" that you have been running .... versus... a stock datsun cam .

Three years of abuse = how many miles ? 2 , 3,000 , 45,000 ? .. ( just a clarification ;-) )

is your re-grind treated?

Good info on the rest HRH !!!

Whats wrong with high detergent oils??....

Carbon build up is a problem with burning diesel fuel so a high detergent oil is used to 'wash' it off moving parts so it can be removed at the oil change. Gas engines burn cleaner and a small amount of carbon on or around the rings and piston actually help control oil burning. In effect helping to seal compression in. Rinsing this carbon deposit off can increase oil consumption and lower power. Even more so on well worn engines.

About 15000 dtp iirc, its a Delta cam I doubt its treated. Stock or otherwise never seen any l can flat. Broken yes.

As far as high detergent goes I don't think the extra amount diesel oil has is going to be a problem. Ill let you know with the progression of the kaz24. Plan to be running schaeffer for a while.