B210 front end lowering

Kramer1981

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan welds a nice clean line around the lower spring perch.

Just cut verry carefully right above the weld, just thru the perch itself ti free it from the strut tube.

Then grind the weld smooth so the perch will slide up and down.

You can weld it lower, or you can get a 2 screw shaft collar. They clamp around the strut tube and the perch sits on top, for a ajustable-ish strut, easy and quick.

If you cut right abobe the weld like I said, youll see there is a gap beteween the perch and the tube, if your paying attention you cant mess it up, just cut the outside layer with cutt off wheel slow and steady till you break tru all the way around. super easy.

Yes wen I say a coil, I meant ONE 360 degree coil. That would probably drop it im guessing 2.5 or 3 inches.

Cutting just one coil will lower it about half an inch. B)

This is 2.5 coils cut, about a 3" drop. Also running shorter struts so it doesn't bottom out. If you go down 3" on stock struts, it will bottom out on big bumps.

normal_crap_003~2.JPG

strutmods004Large-1.jpg

strutmods005Large-1.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

Grind down the weld so it's reasonably smooth so the bottom spring perch is free to slide down the strut tube and secure with an adjustable split collar.

strutmods010Large.jpg

Cutting a coil also increases the spring rate making it stiffer. It quickly becomes too stiff and once cut, you can't go back. Try 3/4 or one coil and see if you like it. Cut 1/2 coil at a time even. Once assembled you can jack the body. carefully release the split collar and slice spring off on the car. Slide the perch up and support with the split collar. You will likely have to compress the spring before tightening the collar, I used a block of wood and a hydraulic jack to push everything up, then tightened.

There are lower limits to doing this. Remember the strut length isn't changed and if too low it will bottom out. Ideally a shorter strut tube and internal parts possibly a 280zx strut can be used. I put a similar Maxima strut on my 710 and it was about an inch and a half shorter right off the bat.

You can also use a shorten strut cartridge and shorten the strut tube by cutting and welding it.... not for the faint of heart or ill equipped.

Lowering will affect your front wheel camber and swapping to a zx may throw it way off and necessitate using camber plates to compensate for this.

Lowering will also introduce varying amounts of bump steer to the steering. The cure is bump steer spacers.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the pics...that looks relly easy. I guess the old minitruck rule of one coil meaning about 3 inches doesnt apply here. I know hoe to weld and I have built car chasis before and back halved drag cars, so i think I can handle this. Now to deal with that stupid alternator... be back in a bit

I noticed....right click you say?

Depending on your browser, you should be able to right click on the full size photo and "copy image URL" in Chrome, or select "properties" in Internet Explorer and get the url of the photo that way. Then click the little photo icon above the box you're typing in and paste the URL in the pop-up box and hit okay.

O/K, soo I have driven my 210 a few miles now,, and I notice alot of body roll. Now, Im wanting to lower my car too. So,, does front camber change if its lowered by cutting coils? Would 2" be ok for the stock replacement kyb struts?

Any aftermarket springs available?