intro

a2lowvw

tell her about 2 months min. or if stock trans going back in with L motor 2 -4 hours

told her about 3 just in case...upon removal i found the exhaust manifold has a break in it at one of the studs that the p.o. had tried to repair. so now its either junkyard shopping for a manifold or buy a shorty header which i'd rather not do

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the studs can be drilled out at a good machine shop and maybe install stainess bolts and use anti seize compound  , maybe make a spcial Y pipe a bigger like a 2 inch collector/ Mklotz was making the 2 hole flanges

sinced the L20 and Z series is taller the manifold will be moved up 3/4 inch so I dont know how this affects the torsion bar clearance. Or buy the short Top End Performance header and get it ceramic coated as a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

so i finally got off my ass and working on getting the L20 cleaned up and ready to put in. pulled the oil pan off my old motor removed all the paint and grease. uncovered the L20 and got it out where i could work on it. found that it already had a 521 oil pan on it..... started removing all the paint from the block and found all the freeze plugs are new. this thing look familiar to anyone? bright ass orange block with yellow and blue accents

949524_10151591337389429_1176128780_o.jp

939054_10151591338604429_1294195412_o.jp

so i tore apart both motors last night. the og l16 had blown the headgasket on the #4 cylinder.

the l20 has a very new timing set in it. I sure am glad i decided to pull it apart though.  it appears the motor was rebuilt by someone who knows whatt hey were doing and ran it for a very short time. Looks like the motor then transfered into some young dipshits hands and all the bolt on parts were removed to paint and put back on with no gaskets or the old gaskets....

• 11 months later...

will post OICs later, I am still alive and the 521 should be back up and running shortly.  Figured it was time to start working on the datsun. Saturday morning the motor L20 and long tail 5 speed were just sitting in the bay, by the end of the day sunday the motor/trans was set in its mounts and installed the following; 1 piece driveline, intake manifold and header, alternator, wp pulley and fan, starter, t-stat flange..... it has spark and cranks over but not running yet. Tried quickly to get it to fire on some starting fluid but seems like the timing is off a bit. getting some backfire(ish) type booms out the header. pulled the fuel line from the pump and seems like it is getting fuel to the carb. Also flipped the shifter and gave it a slight bend so it will clear the bench seat in all gears.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...