intro

a2lowvw

short term ...

minor mods, nothing drastic at first. I honestly plan on driving it as is for a while and getting some use out of the bed. This isn't a project vehicle for me its a utility vehicle that still puts a smile on my face. I had an old ratty 620 about 10 years ago and it was fun but was a major pos. Besides from basic maintenance, some interior work and possibly new wheels and tires i don't plan on doing much.

long term ...

who knows. it is the least practical vehicle we own but my daughter after riding in it once was doing this

picasioncom_e4f59d19bf14cf8532a7965efe59da8d.gif

maybe more power and better gearing in the future.

i got some titans with tires...looking at the other posts i am kinda interested in the wheels if they arent already gone...possible trade?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got some titans with tires...looking at the other posts i am kinda interested in the wheels if they arent already gone...possible trade?

wheels aren't going anywhere yet, i like em but want something i a little more 90's billet style

swapped the upper link bushings last night after work. drivers side was simple took all of about 5 minutes. the passenger side the bushings were pretty much gone and the rearward bushing sleeve was rusted to the bolt and wouldn't move.... removed the complete upper links and took 30 seconds once it was on the bench. sprayed everything else with pb blaster before i do anything else

I like the stock steel wheels better you had on there. Makes the truck look more like a classic.

You know already How women and children throw flowers at you driving this truck already.

I get commnets weekly on how cool my truck is. More when I went back to the white stell wheels.

Theres a guy up north that just got a green 521 like yours trying to help him figure out his running issue but hes not on here enought to keep up with him. Hope he figures it out these are simple trucks.

Theres a guy up north that just got a green 521 like yours trying to help him figure out his running issue but hes not on here enought to keep up with him. Hope he figures it out these are simple trucks.

i have a couple friends who have seen a twin to my truck around snohomish and on i-5 the other day. one of my good friends saw it with the owner in snohomish and swore it was me. going to pick up some smaller whitewall tires for the steelies. looks like if i do the hardbody front calipers i can still run the 14's with spacers to clear the calipers. time to start collecting parts

pulled a multi colored l20 today from the junkyard. found a mg with a l20 and auto in it. pretty hacked install and it clear it never ran in the car. it was painted before it went into the car though and was ran. the engine is bright orange, head is painted silver and has blue and yellow accessories. pulled the valvecover and oil pan and its really clean inside

• 4 weeks later...

so i had a bit of trouble getting the passenger side lower control arm bolt out. I ended up using a ball joint press (large c-clamp) and was able to press it out. with it removed i started working on the wedge bolt for the lower spindle the which was broken and seized in place. i started to drill it out when the drill bit broke. at that point i grabbed a bfh and a couple punches. once it was out i went to the hardware store to go bolt shopping. figured i would make my own replacement.

this is what my day started with

be8bb8de.jpg

with a little work it was more like this

c86a9bc7.jpg

and after a test fit it looked like this

5558ea98.jpg

before and after

aca70711.jpg

bolt used was 5/16 stainless easy way to replace a damaged lower link lock pin

Did you test fit it in the hole, does it really fit?

Seems like if it was that easy, everyone would do it, but your the first, you see the threaded part/end is smaller and offset on the stock pieces, the other un-threaded end is bigger as you can see in the photos below.

DSCN1498.jpg

DSCN1499.jpg

So I ask if it fits because the hole is smaller where the threads are supposed to come out, but don't take me wrong, I have disscussed this very subject/idea with Mike K. as these parts are NLA in this country. :(

I have heard/seen guys put a smaller bolt threw the hole leaving the head on the bolt so it didn't pull threw the hole, that seemed to work, as I have pulled one off a truck before when I pulled it apart, it confused me that there was a nut on both ends, till I figured out it was just a bolt, looked like it had been there for years.

Did you test fit it in the hole, does it really fit?

Seems like if it was that easy, everyone would do it, but your the first, you see the threaded part/end is smaller and offset on the stock pieces, the other un-threaded end is bigger as you can see in the photos below.

So I ask if it fits because the hole is smaller where the threads are supposed to come out, but don't take me wrong, I have discussed this very subject/idea with Mike K. as these parts are NLA in this country. :(

I have heard/seen guys put a smaller bolt threw the hole leaving the head on the bolt so it didn't pull threw the hole, that seemed to work, as I have pulled one off a truck before when I pulled it apart, it confused me that there was a nut on both ends, till I figured out it was just a bolt, looked like it had been there for years.

it tightened down just fine and is secure. the oe lock pin/wedge bolt measures right at 5/16 on the non threaded side. i checked the hole with a drill bit and it was tight but it fit right in. i test fit it before cutting off the hex side of the bolt and left just a little extra room in case and it sticks out 2-3mm on the smooth side when tight.

it tightened down just fine and is secure. the oe lock pin/wedge bolt measures right at 5/16 on the non threaded side. i checked the hole with a drill bit and it was tight but it fit right in. i test fit it before cutting off the hex side of the bolt and left just a little extra room in case and it sticks out 2-3mm on the smooth side when tight.

This is good to know, as I thought it might just pull threw till it ran out of threads to tighten, if it would actually go threw to the otherside of the hole in the first place, as the hole coming out the otherside is smaller, unless it was drilled to the 5/16ths.

This just gave me an idea I had never thought of before, THANKYOU!

• 6 months later...

Just out of curiosity, did you sell this? This same truck just showed up this past Tuesday, 3 houses down from us, and has been there every day since. Just wondering if it's you, or someone else who just bought it off you.

If it's you, come by some time. We're just past where it's at, towards the end of the cul-de-sac. Our 521 and '85 Maxima wagon are usually in the driveway when we're home.

• 4 weeks later...
Just out of curiosity, did you sell this? This same truck just showed up this past Tuesday, 3 houses down from us, and has been there every day since. Just wondering if it's you, or someone else who just bought it off you.

If it's you, come by some time. We're just past where it's at, towards the end of the cul-de-sac. Our 521 and '85 Maxima wagon are usually in the driveway when we're home.

haha, no a co-worker of mine damaged his subaru after getting it stuck in a 5 foot deep mud hole and i let him borrow it. I have thought about selling it but its way to useful for me to consider getting rid of at this time. It's back at my house now. he said he noticed a couple datsun's at a house down the street and said you guys stopped once and backed up to check out the truck.

:rofl:  and we thought we were being all stealth and shit when we checked it out.

That's funny though.  I had noticed that the Subi had stopped moving and the 521 was being driven every day.  Brodster kept asking where it was over the past week+.  I had speculated that maybe the guy had gone somewhere for the holidays.  I have to admit, I'm kind of bummed that I can't rubberneck at it every day now ;)  You're a good friend allowing him to drive a little gem like that  :thumbup:

wil is a great kid, he really wanted to buy the truck when i picked it up.  he was a little skeptical about driving it as it requires a little more attention than a modern car but he is first in line if i do decide to part with it.

• 1 month later...

well looks like being a nice guy has taken a turn for the worst. got the truck back and had it sitting for a few weeks. went to start it and found it wouldn't start. checked and found the plugs were fouled. replaced the plugs and wires and got it to fire right up. let it run and after about 30 seconds i start smoking out the culdesac. thought it make be fluke. allowed it to cool down and did some work in the garage. fired it up again and smoked out the neighbors playing basketball in the culdesac... looks like its time to swap in the l20 and 5 speed

Dont be a nice guy to kids whi dont know datsuns. as it will be on the side of the house. 

white smoke??? or a oily smoke?

Could be intake water from the manifold loose bolts and they sucks it up.

or ck the plugs and see which one is it and you can isolate this down. if its a losse manifol it will be 2& 3pistons.

Just last 3 days my 521 had proplems.

replaced the sppedo a month ago and then speed stop working again. find it its a the pinion jammed up. Put in anoher spare and the the bad one working again by sanding the shaft. Lucky iot only ate 1 tooth of the pinion gear(plastic)

then I went to degrease the motor ,Started up fine pulled out ,put degreaser on there and Wow its running on  3 cyl. I see &1 plug loose. Oh I said that it. Tighten it down plug wire into it. Still sound like 3 cuylinders. I pull the wire and sounds the same. So I think its the lash pad fell off. Then I notice the plug wire arching to ground on the rubber spark plug black insulation. I guess the fuel pump oil mist finnalyhelp break down the rubber. I went to my stash of parts and found a new set NGK wire set NE64. swapped it and was running. total time touble shooting was about 15mins.  A new datsun guy thats best friend? it be on side of the house for sale in a month.

after that I went tyo the gas station. A guy says nice 521  great trucks. I said ,yeah if you know how to work on them. I have done 3 motor pulls 2 trans swaps , kingpin replacement rear diff seals. i said they are ggood truck if your mechanically inclined otherwise this 521 would be on the junkyard years ago. And even I am getting tired of it. 510s are Ezer to care for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GZGVGG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

its an oily blue smoke. i have checked all the intake and exhaust bolts amd found them to be tight. plugs 3 and 4 were both fouled. #3 slightly and #4 was really bad. i put new plugs and the same ngk wires on. going to start looking for flywheel and clutch setup and then its swap time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well motor and tranny are out. clutch kit came in today and the engine is getting cleaned up.

truck is getting a l20b and a 5 speed out of a 260z ...

image_zps35af0a59.jpg

image_zpsa02889ba.jpg

wife is already asking how long before its back together