intro

a2lowvw

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pulled a long tail 5 speed from a truck at the jy today. also friend told me he has a spare L16 and 4 speed and a complete wiring harness with fusebox for $50... may have to get rid of some vw parts so i can start collecting datsun parts

• Like 1

I get so many thumbs up on my 521.

You aregoing too . Or know already and ready to get rid of the VW

I get a thumps up or people staring at my truck at stop lights all the time. I bought it as a disposable truck. But everytime soembody says ,I dont see a straight truck like that all the time! Its awesoem to hear. However it is work to take care off. Kingpins ,trans brakes ect..... To a entry level kid mechanic thiese trucks will be broke and left on the side of the house in no time.

Lots have been thru here with mutiple owners. Hopefully your is in good hands.

Im on my 4th motor pull and 2nd trans ,replace kingpins rear wheel cylinders and rear axle seals, drums brakes speedo, 3 brake masters and 2 clutch masters and 3 slave cylinders.

Every time I say Im done with it. Somebody says what a cool truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sO i KEEP IT LONGER

My rear seal is leaking again.

I just replace the input trans shaft seal 6 months ago with the help of Datto510(Eric) also installed the gasket which is not avail but made copies of them.

I have a 2 pc type drive shaft and trans has a 22mm nut once you split the joint. this must be removed to get the seal.

get the seal with the 2 lips. O Rileys sell a SKF one with just one lip. mine didnt last to long. Thats how I lost the first trans. got another for FREE

olddatsuns.com

just wish it were easier to swap the transmissions on these things. pulling the motor doesn't look too hard but i have never had to use a cherry picker while owning a vw. simply unbolt the core support and front radiator support and in 30 minutes you can have the motor and tranny out.

• 4 weeks later...

just wish it were easier to swap the transmissions on these things. pulling the motor doesn't look too hard but i have never had to use a cherry picker while owning a vw. simply unbolt the core support and front radiator support and in 30 minutes you can have the motor and tranny out.

yes 521s are not as ez as working on 510s. Esp a trans pull.

for the front input trans seal I pulled the motor.

It takes me all day to R&R the engine(includes transfering the SU intake, exhaust, alt, PS, flywheel, ect.), while it takes me 5 hours to R&R a 5 speed shortshaft transmission in a 521, but I have had to do it so often over the last 10 years(dogleg 5 spds.), that I got good at it, I am very happy to be done with L block dogleg 5 speeds, never again will I have one in a datsun L block truck.

swapped wheels tonight and found out the passenger side had been rubbing on the fuel line at full lock. luckily it hadn't caught and was just barely polished. new oic's coming with the new wheels.

me like the rims when they're up for sale lemme know {^__^}

don't plan on getting rid of them soon. but if i do i will let you know. they need to be stripped and polished. i actually prefer the steelies and caps

just got my upper link bushings. as long as things work out this weekend i will be swapping in the new lower control arms, tension rod bushings and swap bar bushings. upper link bushings part # through napa was 267-1347 and cost me 3.49 each. they are cast with the factory part # in them too 54519-08700