California Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Smog

Attention car hobbyists! Flex your power and let your voice be heard. It only takes a few minutes to get the message across. If you don't take action YOU ARE part of the PROBLEM.

n 2004, legislation was enacted to repeal California’s rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replace it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. This year, a bill has been introduced in the California Senate (S.B. 1224) by Senator Doug LaMalfa (Senator.LaMalfa@senate.ca.gov ) to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from the emissions inspection requirement. The bill will be considered in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on March 27, 2012.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for S.B. 1224

S.B. 1224 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981 vehicles on emissions and air quality.

S.B. 1224 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

S.B. 1224 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).

For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1224 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes!

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee immediately to request their support of S.B. 1224. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2012CA2&g=SEMAGA

• Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish someone would sack up and introduce a bill to completely revamp CARB. and by revamp, i mean fire them all and get some people that know what they're doing

This.

But then where would all the disgruntled eco pricks work? A 73 240z and a brand new "clean" Honda both get the exact same shitty gas mileage when stuck in LA traffic. Maybe they should fix the root of the problem instead of blame the virtually defenseless. The fact they lose their shit when you try to put in a NEWER, more efficient engine in an older car is fucking dumb.

This.

But then where would all the disgruntled eco pricks work? A 73 240z and a brand new "clean" Honda both get the exact same shitty gas mileage when stuck in LA traffic. Maybe they should fix the root of the problem instead of blame the virtually defenseless. The fact they lose their shit when you try to put in a NEWER, more efficient engine in an older car is fucking dumb.

i'm surprised they allow complete engine swaps at all. what really makes no sense is that you can't update technology on an original engine. the fact is that the easily available hobbyist control systems available now (megasquirt for example) are far superior to the halfbreed vacumhose messes they used in the 80s

I know of one county in Cali that only requires smog when the car is purchased and after that, no need! But a yess to to S.B. 1224 for sure :thumbup:

there are several, but CARB doesn't explicitly tell you which ones they are, only the ones that DO require testing. the lines, you must read between them

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed.

To whom it may concern,

I own a 1976 Datsun 620 pick-up truck and though it may not be a 'classic' like a Camaro or a Mustang, it is a rare car here in California.

Due to current regulations, this car is not emission exempt and requires being smogged just like every other car manufactured after 1976. My recent smog report indicated this car was running extremely clean and is competitive with most gasoline engines in modern cars.

Since there are so few cars on the road from 1975-1980, we feel it is time to include cars of this era in a emission exempt status. After all, cars from the late 1970s, as a group, produce far less hydrocarbons and greenhouse gasses than most V8 powered muscle cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s. After all, if a Superbird or GTO with a large displacement engine running at high compression is exempt, shouldn’t the comparatively clean running cars of the late 1970′s be as well?

I respectfully ask you to support S.B. 1224.

• S.B. 1224 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981 vehicles on emissions and air quality.
  • S.B. 1224 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
  • S.B. 1224 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).
  • For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1224 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes!

Thank you for your support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm surprised they allow complete engine swaps at all. what really makes no sense is that you can't update technology on an original engine. the fact is that the easily available hobbyist control systems available now (megasquirt for example) are far superior to the halfbreed vacumhose messes they used in the 80s

there are several, but CARB doesn't explicitly tell you which ones they are, only the ones that DO require testing. the lines, you must read between them

actually reading between the lines isnt necessary... reading period isnt necessary, they draw you a picture!

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/engineering/Program_Map.pdf

"enhanced" my ass more like " a better plot to get old cars off the road and forcing people to buy new cars" cali smog laws arent in place to clean up there air there in place to get old cars off the road i know this because a s13 is allowed twice the emmisions as my 76 datsun was allowed

• 3 months later...