Datsun 620 sub frame swap

Kold91

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My sub-frames aren't swapped.  I don't reckon Kold ever got around to it before I bought the truck from him.  Or maybe he did and I just can't tell the difference.  But I think the community here talked him out of it.  Hopefully.  

I was just lowered 3 inches with blocks and what have you.  I raised it back up, because my commute contains a lot of shitty roads and construction.  

I mean, I might swap things out, one day.  But probably not anything to do with the frame.  I kind of like the leaf springs and torsion bars.

I would like disc brakes, though.  I read through a topic on that and I don't have the time, money or knowledge to mess with that right now.  All in due time.

• Like 1

We redid all the arms and geometry on this 521. just because you swapped sub frames doesn't mean it is correct. the only thing we found correct was the lower control arm pickup points.

20131013_160635_zps90d31a25.jpg

It's not the design of the suspension, but how far you lowered the truck.  The upper control arms in an "at rest" position are not ususally at such a big angle.  If you took a subframe and grafted it.  How can it be wrong unless it was wrong on the original car.  That's there is such a thing as lowering the car to much.  You take the suspension out of it's intended range.  Lift the car on jackstands and put an angle finder on the wheel.  Jack the wheel up and down through it's range and watch what the angle (camber) does.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Alright, I got a new question and I didn't want to start a new topic, since I already have enough topics about this truck.

I seem to be having fuel delivery problems.  I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't help.  So, I think either my throttle body needs cleaning, or the pump is shit.

Since I'm gonna clean the throttle body, anyways, let's not talk about that.  Already on it.  The fuel pump, however, I think is a problem.

It looks to be an inline fuel pump, which I think is wrong for a ka24de.  Can anyone confirm this?  Shouldn't I have an in-tank pump?  Also, the pump is mounted above the tank...Which is just fucking ridiculous.  I would just move it and hope it works, but after however long that it's been up there, it's probably shot to shit.  If I get an in-tank pump, which is what seems to be what the internet thinks is best for a '97 ka24de, is the a way to install it in my gas tank?

Thanks guys. 

An in-line pump is fine. It should be mounted below the tank though. I have mine mounted to the frame rail in front of the tank with a filter between it and the tank. Gravity feeding helps keep the pump primed at all times. 

IMG_2480.jpg

The throttle body has nothing to do with fuel delivery, it is the air control valve. The injectors control the fuel delivery. 

Could you blow through the filter? Did you cut open the filter to see if it had debris in it? This will tell you how much crap is in your system and if you may have a clogged injector. 

It's also always a good idea to run a filter just before the fuel inlet on the manifold as well to keep a failing pump from destroying your injectors. 

IMG_2486.jpg

I like filters. :)

Is the fuel return system hooked up? 

Another thing you could do is use a surge tank. That's what I'll be using on my 4x4 620 when I do the switch to EFI. The problems with the old fuel tanks is they have no internal baffling. Was not an issue with carbs and low pressure pumps. High pressure pumps don't really draw fuel very well (in comparison to how they pump it) and do not like running dry. I got one of the small surge tanks off eBay, and will be mounting it upside down to bottom of bed. Low pressure pump will mount in stock electric pump location, and high pressure pump low on frame rail like redeyes.

Might cost a bit more since you'll need both low and high pressure pumps plus a surge tank, but you won't have to modify your tank in any way and you'll never have to worry about fuel starvation and burning up fuel pumps when your tank gets low...

The filter I replaced was in there right before the injectors.  I haven't looked to see if I have one after the pump.  I saw the pump, cussed a lot and then drank myself to sleep.

I'll buy a new pump.  Is there a certain pressure range I should be looking for?  Should I just grab the fanciest one I can find and call it a deal?  

I can't take any pictures, right now, Bilzbo, but I can tell you about my pinball team.  I play on a pub league for a little barcade in Georgetown, Seattle called Flip Flip Ding Ding.  I got the position because I used to be very good at pinball and my friend, who was the captain, at the time, had me sub in when other players couldn't make it.  When someone quit, I got put on.  I say I used to be good because I was pretty awesome.  I went traveling for about a year and a half, hopping freight trains and hitch-hiking to see the country, and there weren't many pinball machines in between here and there...Wherever there was.  So, now I'm still working on getting my skills back in order.  My ball control is pretty sloppy, my aim is bad.  I still win and I've beaten some world ranked players on machines that I'm familiar with, but I'm a far sight from even being what I would consider being decent.  Last season we made it to the play-offs, but lost out to a team that would eventually go on to the finals.  Things get pretty competitive and some folks get real salty, but most are just around to have fun.  Even when I lose, I'm pretty pleased just being there.  I could go into how league games are scored, but that's kind of a mess long wall of text and I already got a pretty good sized off-topic paragraph here. If you were interested in starting a league, I could pm you the league rules.

Thanks a bunch, Redeye and 620.  I have a lot to think about and I'll get under my truck soon and let you know how it goes.   

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I got a question.  I may have, in my haste and my "bigger is probably better" mindset, done something stupid. 

Is it a problem if the fuel pump is too powerful?  I bought a 120psi pump and it dawned on me that maybe that could be a problem.  Like, I was thinking that it could push too much fuel into the engine and run way too rich.  On the other side of my thinking, I was like, "nah, man, it's fine.  The injectors will sort that shit out."

Did I just waste $90 or will it be fine to have that powerful a pump?  

Which pump did you buy?

It's not really the pressure that will cause problems. It's the volume.

Your fuel pressure will only be as high as what the regulator is set for. Typically 43.5 psi. But if the volume of the pump exceeds what your lines and regulator can flow your pressure will be all over the place and too high. You also run the risk of cavitation if pump is not able to get the fuel it needs from the small supply line from the tank.

I would find something smaller. It'd never a good idea to reduce the inlets and outlets on high pressure pumps. I would be afraid of cavitation on the inlet, seriously reducing the life of pump.

I prefer Bosch pumps. Never had one of the Airtex high pressure pumps, but the two Airtex low pressure pumps I had leaked fuel from the electrical connections... They are more expensive though!!!

Your sure your old pump is bad? What was the problems you were having?

I'm not 100% sure my old pump is bad...I just assume things and fly off half-cocked.  The problem is that whenever I give any gas, the truck lurches and jumps forward.  Occasionally, it just dies while moving and then compression starts itself.  My brother, who knows things about stuff said that's a fuel filter issue.  So, I changed the fuel filter under the hood.  I didn't check to see if there's one by the pump.  I need to.  But, at any rate, he said that the lurching and jumping is because fuel isn't getting through the line for whatever reason.

After peeking under the truck, briefly, I saw the pump mounted above the tank and assumed that, not only is it in the wrong place, but the poor bastard is probably dead, since it had likely been run dry, often.  So, without knowing what I was doing and without any prior research, I bought that pump and it should be here soon...

So...oops.

It's a problem while accelerating.  It's a problem on hills and flatland.  It does get worse as the tank gets lower.  Which is why I diagnosed it as a fuel pump issue.

I'm gonna take a risk on the new fuel pump, drain the tank and fill it back up.  I'll check to see if there's another filter under the bed.  If not.  I'll need to Google the pick-up tube.  I don't know what that is, yet.  Any other ideas on what it could be?