Duke's '72 510 (Carbed KA Autocross/Hillclimb car)

Duke

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Duke!!! I know your a Rocket Scientist and you would never put the header to close to the brakes, but how close is it? I like that header so bad I may have to build one :D

Thanks guys!

Looking good Duke!!! I know your a Rocket Scientist and you would never put the header to close to the brakes, but how close is it? I like that header so bad I may have to build one :D

They are fun to build! Its really gratifying when you measure them in the end and the lengths are just right. And if they look good that is just a bonus!

It is a few inches away from the master cylinder. It comes really close to the check valve thing, but that is OK because that will be gone. One thing that it does come a little to close to is the steering box. I don't thing I will be able to adjust it with the header installed...hopefully after this project is done I will be able to work on not having to worry about the steering box, if you know what I'm saying;).

For my first header this has been a bit of a difficult one because of the space confines that I put upon myself because of the collector placement, but I'm really happy with how it is turning out.

I have finished the welding on the header. I just need to make the connecting tabs for the collector and get the down pipe welded up. Then it is off to have it coated. Here are some pictures from tonight.

IMGP1708.jpg

IMGP1698.jpg

IMGP1707.jpg

• Like 1
that looks great cant wait to hear how that sounds in person:D

That makes two of us! I am finally making some money so I can get around to buying the expensive parts of the swap!:D

Duke once again, that is bad ass!! But how are you going to do the last couple welds?

If you are talking about the slip joints at the collector, they don't get welded. I am making tabs that make it so you can unbolt the header from the collector, making installation and removal really easy...also its kinda a racecar thing. I should be finishing this up tonight/tomorrow so pics will hopefully be up soon for a better picture of whats going on.

You're amazing, that fab work looks really great. After you did the merger thing, you cut the tops off? But then why is the tube at the end four times this size of the single header tube?

Because that is where the exhaust comes together from all 4 of the primaries...4 into 1. Wouldn't make sense to have them feeding into a tiny exhaust pipe now would it?

Could be making 2 stroke expansion pipes also $$$$$$$$$

I've made those before...but this is a little different.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much finished the intake manifold a few days ago. I just need to make the stuff for the linkage, but I can't do that until the new linkage comes. I'm thinking of either having is anodized or blasted and powder coated clear, not sure yet. Here are some pictures of the finished product.

IMGP1793.jpg

IMGP1792.jpg

IMGP1789.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The oil pan is close to being finished. I just need to make the gated area for the pickup. I think I might have it zinc plated when its done.

IMGP1804.jpg

With how far back the engine sits it almost a mid sump!

IMGP1809.jpg

You can see how much the engine is tilted also.

IMGP1810.jpg

that tig work looks nice ive been a fellower tigger myself LOL what kinda machine ya got. oh btw i love your signiture thats great "mig welders are for trailers" i have a sticker somewhere that says "wire feeders are for sissys" sad part is i'm stuck on a stinger at least 8 hours a day :( i rarley ever get to bust out the heli arc.

WOW!!! Duke strikes again! I just want to know how much oil it holds? The oil change places are going to be pissed when you pull up for the 19.99 oil change :D hehe looking good buddy!! I just can't wait to hear that thing run.

• 2 weeks later...

The welder we have is an old machine from my dads car racing days. I'm not sure of the brand, but it is older than me. Its also covered in sponsorship stickers from back in the day.

Got a few things back from coating. The project has been put on halt due to school :(. But I will have it running over my winter break, come hell or high water. Anyway, here are the coated headers and valve cover. I like the look of carbs.

IMGP1875.jpg

IMGP1876.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Guys! I was kinda discouraged on the project for a while...now I can't wait to get back on it.

So how long are we going to have to wait until fire up? You said winter.. So your saying like December? Damn that sucks! :D

Yeah, it will be December or January. Gotta go to school. Just got back to Chico today and it is hotter than hell!

hey duke wanna make me a smog legal l series headder?:D

Smog legal? That's gonna be a little tough. The stuff that they go through to get things CARB certified is a pain. But I will make you a header...just need your car for about a week and some $$$