Duke's '72 510 (Carbed KA Autocross/Hillclimb car)

Duke

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

Nice ride. One question about your 911 Koni front struts. What year Porsche 911 Koni's are we talking about?:confused: THose 911's fit the 280ZX struts well???

Thanks.

Jaime._________________________________________________________

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The inserts are from a '69 911. The are Koni adjustables. My dad had them laying around our garage from his Porche days so I decided to use them. But they don't fit a 280zx strut. I had to make the strut body to fit the insert. There was a good deal of custom machining to make it happen. So it is NOT a easy bolt on kind of thing.

^^Thanks!

So the KA is in! I'm making motor mounts and the tranny mount tonight and tomorrow. I'll get some pics when they are done.

Also got the header flange and the carb flange for the Mikuni's. After it is mounted it is header making time and then onto the intake manifold! I can't wait.

Its a stock KA manifold, just cut with a flange to mount the carbs welded on to it. The port spacing for the KA is really close to the spacing for Weber DCOE's or Mikuni's. To be honest it was kinda a hack job so I'm going to make my own manifold.

• Like 1

Soo I Just Smacked My Oil Pan On The Floor Again!!

Dont Know How Your Going To Pull This Off With Your Car That Low I Talked To Mack Over At Mckinney And Im Going To Go With His Front Cross Member And Stock Oil Pan Cant Wait So Then I Can Run My Car Low Like Yours No Problem :)

Soo I Just Smacked My Oil Pan On The Floor Again!!

Dont Know How Your Going To Pull This Off With Your Car That Low I Talked To Mack Over At Mckinney And Im Going To Go With His Front Cross Member And Stock Oil Pan Cant Wait So Then I Can Run My Car Low Like Yours No Problem :)

Thats why I'm making it rear sump. If I do hit anything the crossmember is going to hit before the oil pan does :D. I have seen a few pics of front sump oil pan carnage and I don't want that happening to me. My pan will be right level with the bottom of the crossmember.

Is That Belt For The Water Pump A 275k4???? I Have A 3 Rib Water Pump Pulley And Cant Find The 275k3 For The Life Of Me Doy You Have A 4 Rib Water Pump Pulley??? If Soo What Car Is It Off Of?

I'll check on that and let you know. I did not build the engine so I really have no idea.

I checked and the belt is a 4 rib belt, with the P/N that you had. I'm not sure what it came off of though, as I said, I am not the first one to be putting this engine in a 510.

So the KA is in and sitting on the motor mounts. I still have to make the tranny mount, that will happen on Friday. I also got the header flange and the flange for the carbs the other day. Really nice stuff. Super thick, but I guess I don't have to worry about it warping.

I mounted the engine as low and far back as I dared, so the mounts were a bit of a pain to make, but I really like how they turned out. I am thinking of boxing them for the hell of it also, but they are plenty strong as they are. Here are some pics.

IMGP1639.jpg

IMGP1640.jpg

IMGP1641.jpg

Motor Mounts: Drivers side.

IMGP1634.jpg

Passenger side.

IMGP1645.jpg

Flanges

IMGP1647.jpg

IMGP1648.jpg

Dude the engine mounts look nice!!! I beet those took some time :D The Tig welds look good to, I've been practicing tig welding at work. Steel is a bitch, I can't imagine working on those small mounts. Aluminum is what I like to tig :D

Here are my questions/coments....

1. Are you going to be running a heater?

2. Did you build those flanges? It sounds like you ordered them, if so details :D

3. I don't think you should box the mounts, they look so nice!! Shit its non turbo dude! :D hehe couldn't resist :D

4. The poly TC bushing have to go! A buddy just broke his TC rod and said it was very unplesent hehe

5. Is the clutch slave cylender aluminum? I found one on an A series I got from pumpkin, I wanted to sell it on Ebay as the nismo lighted unit haha

I think thats it for now :D

Dude the engine mounts look nice!!! I beet those took some time :D The Tig welds look good to, I've been practicing tig welding at work. Steel is a bitch, I can't imagine working on those small mounts. Aluminum is what I like to tig :D

Here are my questions/coments....

1. Are you going to be running a heater?

2. Did you build those flanges? It sounds like you ordered them, if so details :D

3. I don't think you should box the mounts, they look so nice!! Shit its non turbo dude! :D hehe couldn't resist :D

4. The poly TC bushing have to go! A buddy just broke his TC rod and said it was very unplesent hehe

5. Is the clutch slave cylender aluminum? I found one on an A series I got from pumpkin, I wanted to sell it on Ebay as the nismo lighted unit haha

I think thats it for now :D

1. Yeah, I think I'm going to get one of those aftermarket heaters, and then just run the inlet and outlet for the coolent on the same side of the engine on the firewall. That way I don't have to try and snake the heater hoses through that small area.

2. I got the flanges through http://jgsturbo.com/index2.html

3. If I do I will make nice looking little pieces with belled holes and stuff, I think it would look good, not really sure though. I might just make one and see how I like it. And its worse than not turbo'd, its not even fuel injected!

4. They will be gone soon.

5. Yeah, its aluminum. I haven't seen one that isn't aluminum.

Making the trans mount tomorrow, then its onto the intake manifold and then the header!

my car has a rear sump pan and in order to get the right oil capacity it sits 1/2 inch lower then the cross member not good!!! cuz my cross memeber has not touched the ground once but im bouncing my oil pan off of everything in its path ill take some pics post them up tomorrow :lol:

i would like to see some pics of that front sump carnage becuz i might change my mind and have to copy your oil pan design or have you build me one for some cash :eek: becuz what i have is not cutting it :confused:

I came down with strep throat last Saturday so that kinda put a stop on the swap progress...but after 3 days of not eating and some antibiotics I'm back in action!

Today I finished up the tranny mount, and started on the merge collector for the header. So the engine is fully bolted in now.

Tranny mount.

IMGP1664.jpg

IMGP1666.jpg

Making the merge collector:

Jig to keep the tubes in place.

IMGP1662.jpg

Started with 4 of these.

IMGP1654.jpg

Tacked 2 together.

IMGP1656.jpg

Formed the other 2 to fit onto the tacked piece.

IMGP1658.jpg

Ended up with this. A little more filing and they will be ready to get welded.

IMGP1668.jpg

I'm planning on finishing the merge collector tomorrow and then starting on the header. Not sure how far I will get. Then Friday my Dad and I head off in his '28 Ford roadster to LA for the LA roadster show. Should be a great time for fathers day. I start working when I get back to progress will slow on the car, but I will have money to buy cool stuff!

• Like 1

NICE!!!

What did you learn? I want to learn from your mistakes :D

Love'n all the custom work dude, So much cool fab going on, I want a pic of the engine in, like from the underside maybe :D Shit I guess I just want more pics :D

What did I learn? Well, I should have used a thicker plate to mount the jig on (this one warped a little), I should have used tubes with a slighter bend in them (but these were laying around the shop, and already flared for the slip joint, so I really can't complain), and next time I think I am going to make all the tubes individually, without tacking the two pieces together at first. Looking at how the pro's do it, they must use a mill to cut the tubes, cause they fit PERFECT.

And I'll get some more pics when I get home, I'm off to LA in the morning! Hope you guys all have a great time as Canby.

I'm itching to get a start on the headers when I get home :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the header tacked together. All primaries are within .5 inch of the same length with them all being around 30 inches. The collecter is by the firewall so the you don't have to deal with snaking it through the steering arm when installing it and taking it out. Here are some pictures...

IMGP1684.jpg

IMGP1685.jpg

• Like 3