my 2 conversions this weekend

Skulptr

so i was talking with HRH in napa, finding out that hardbody pumps are almost exactly the same, except the spline count for the pulley, and the availability/price.

so i went to the local J/Y and found a hardbody with a z24i, has an external reservoir, so i took it anyway.

theres not much difference to them. the hardbody pump has the pressure hose on the top, where as the 720s is on the bottom. and you'll have to find a place to mount the reservoir. i mounted mine up by the firewall on the passenger side. there was some flat bracket already there, so i ripped it out and used self drilling screws, after pounding one side of the bracket to a 90* angle on one side.

i took as many pictures as i could, i apologize for the quality of some, for some reason, 250 bucks for a sony camera appearently isnt enough to get semi decent photo quality.

first the pumps, for comparison. the hardbody pump has the green mark on it and the little tube coming from the middle.

DSC00026.jpg

hardbody

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

back plate mounts are the same

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

front mounts are the same

DSC00032.jpg

pump on the right, the 3 center holes are where the 720 reservoir feeds into it. unbolt and discard, if your pump needs a core charge..

DSC00033.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can use the front mounting plate from the hardbody, but you will need to use the rear bracket from the 720 pump.

also, the large pressure tube on the bottom of the 720 pump needs to come off, using the large bolt from the hardbody pump. the bolt that holds the tube on the 720 pump is too long, its very important to use the bolt from the hardbody pump. its the top most bolt in the next picture.

PIC_0017.jpg

a little closer look at the pressure tube.

PIC_0022.jpg

backside look at the pump mounted

PIC_0021.jpg

my reservoir mounting

PIC_0018.jpg

PIC_0020.jpg

and the overall look. i like having the top mount on the pump because it clears up the path for the upper radiator hose. you will need to get a 2' long piece of tubing for the return from the reservoir to the pump, as the one the hardbody has doesnt reach.

i also got tired of my fan running full time. barely getting any heat by the time i get to work sucked. i was able to do the conversion without taking the fan clutch out. i did take it apart as far as it would go, just for more clearance. the fan motor cleared it before, just wasnt enough for my comfort.

i paid 32 bucks on ebay for a 14" s-blade fan. a 12" would fit better, but i didnt know until i put the 14" up to my radiator. the 14" is more than adequate for cooling needs.

i bought a fan controller for 15 bucks from summit racing, has wiring leads for 2 fans, and an a/c override lead. the instructions also have instructions for wiring in a toggle switch for bypassing the temp lead. it kicks on at 180* and shuts off at 165*

while at an idle to reach operating temp, the temp guage gets semi high before kicking the fan on. i drove it all over town, and the fan never even had to kick on, the temp guage stayed right in the middle.

my old fan and shroud. both are still in great shape of course.

DSC00035.jpg

the old fan compared to the new

DSC00036.jpg

the new fan

DSC00034.jpg

the controller kit.

DSC00037.jpg

all mounted up

PIC_0025.jpg

the temp probe, mounted as close to the water inlet as i could get it

PIC_0026.jpg

the clearance between the fan motor and old clutch. i just took the front cover off the clutch, sprayed it down with brake cleaner to kill the oil, and called it good.

PIC_0024.jpg

another view of the clearance.

PIC_0027.jpg

where the fan kicks on

DSC00040.jpg

where it stops

DSC00041.jpg

Probe is pretty on it. My gauge sender isn't the best, didnt even work until I found its clipped wire. The gauge only rises that little bit for about a minute before the fan kicks its ass

Seems way to high.

I had my radiator cleaned out, pressure tested, etc., new water pump, new thermostat, new coolant and all new hoses and my temp. Gauge Never goes above halfway, even when its 115 out with the a/c running in traffic. Id at least replace the coolant sensor and see what happens.

Do you have an electric fan?

Nope, stock fan and fan clutch. Before I did all the work, the temp gauge would level out around the same place where yours would initiate the fan. I think the radiator being thoroughly cleaned out did the most good. The shop I took it to charged $60, told me it was one of the worst ones they had seen.

Plus I was happy to see that they spray painted the whole thing black, replaced the petcock valve, and soldered on a new overflow neck.